Lumia 950

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Lumia 950

I'm pretty sure that all the service providers have plans for people who bring their own phones. It's my guess that little or no money is made off the phone hardware, so the might even prefer when customers bring their own phones. I ordered the Windows Phone that my son uses from B & H in the States. He's with Koodo and the switch could have been done entirely on the internet except the previous phone had an older style sim card.
I Plan to Stick Around

With Rogers, unlocked phones would go with the "No Tab" option, which is $20/month off.

I was on the Windows Phone Developer Preview, and I really enjoyed getting great features many months before Rogers released the official updates. With Windows 10 as a service, which means routine upgrades throughout the year, the only way to fully make use of that would be to go unlocked.

Unless the carriers have made special deals to deliver timely updates (which I believe is the case with Apple), then it's clear that Windows 10 Mobile is specifically intended to work primarily with the unlocked option.

I'm Here A Lot

If it is $20/month off then it's an option for me. $480 over 2 years is around where the subsidy.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure if this true or not but saw this article http://www.neowin.net/news/canadian-carriers-will-supposedly-not-offer-the-lumia-950-or-lumia-950-xl so wonder if this will leave us the choice of going to MS Store directly

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@ph8

From what I have been reading since last week, and what a couple Rogers employee's confirmed on another thread is that Rogers not be offering either Lumia device. So if you are interested in the 950 - 950XL device you will be able to order it here when it becomes available.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/home

As for Bell or Telus, I don't think there has been any official announcement on Lumia availability. (If there has, please someone let me know) I'm waiting to hear something official before I pull the trigger on another windows phone. Can't afford the Lumia 950 so it might be a 930 or a 1520.

I Plan to Stick Around

I put myself in the notification list. I sure hope those prices are not in $US dollars. It's more than I like spending on a phone that will be worthless in 2 years or so. Hopefully there will be some good real world reviews available before I take the plunge. For that kind of money it better be good.

Those prices are in Canadian. If you saw the Lumia 950 for $750 and the 950XL for $850 it was the Canadian site.
It is quite alot of money. I'm still thinking about my options. Can get a 930 for half that price and it's still a great device. Would last me until the real Microsoft phones come out and hopefully I will have enough cash saved by then to be able to get it unlocked if carriers don't support it here in Canada again. Wondering as well if Canadian carriers are waiting to see how Windows 10 develops before committing to another windows device.
Engadget has great reviews so I'm sure once the phone is released you can get a decent review from them.

Here is a link to some highlights of the rumoured Surface Phone, for 2016:

http://www.mnrdaily.com/article/microsoft.surface.phone.to.be.launched.under.lumia.brand.in.2016/494...

Maybe by then the 950 will have dropped in price. For now, I jumped ship to Android  for my phone (still permanaently loyal to Windows 10 on all desktops). I was suprised how many Microsoft apps are available on the Google Store inlcluding Word, Excel, PwoerPoint, Outlook etc). Very cool.

I Plan to Stick Around

How are you finding the operating system on your Android phone compared to  the Window's experience?  Some things better and some things worse?

I Plan to Stick Around

@Mediaman Microsoft's refusal to give special status to its own operating system  when it comes to its own software products (at least in mobile) is part of the reason Windows Phone is having a hard time getting noticed.

Paul Thurrott, a well-known tech commentator who writes mostly about Microsoft (see his blog at Thurrott.com), has noted of late that, if you like Microsoft software, the best experience you will have with it on mobile devices is on iOS.