cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumia 950

Xanman
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, 

when is the Microsoft Lumia 950 availible for preorder at Rogers? 

I am very interested in this phone. 

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Lumia 950

Mediaman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have been a Windows user from the beginning, and now that I have about 6 pc's on Windows 10, I am perfectly content and would never switch. I throughly enjoyed my Windows 8 phone, and now like others, while eager for something newer, I will NOT be getting the 950 at this time. 

As an experiment, I took a spare Samsung Core 4g  we had lying around and started learning it's behavior. At first I had a hard time,  but I kept at it. I did a factory reset, updated to the latest Android version, made selective use of "live"-like widget apps, a few nested menus, and a alphabetic list of "all" apps.  Gotta say, it's not bad at all. Turns out it uses the same type of SIM card as my HTC 8x, so I may just try it out for a bit. The screen size is a tad larger; other specs are not as good...but it may be a nice zero cost option for a while, until other option comes along. 

thomasb
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm switching to the 950 (or 950XL) precisely because it's unlocked. In the past Microsoft has made it difficult to buy models unlocked (except for a few). Now it's easier-- they're all unlocked, more stores have opened in Canada, and one can always order online.

The main point is that Microsoft is moving to treating smartphones as PCs, and it just makes sense not to be tied to a carrier's updating schedule or limited selection of models.

The trend in the U.S. is for manufacturers to sell unlocked smartphones directly (the rest of the world is already there):

http://www.cnet.com/news/best-unlocked-android-phones/

Why do people think being beholden to the carrier overlords is the only path to success for these smartphones?

Mediaman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

For me its not the issue of it only being sold unlocked vs subsidized. You pay for the phone either way, whether outright or a bit each month. Sure subsidized is easier on the wallet, but still, Its never free. For me, its not that .. its  simply a matter of value. At $960.44 tax in, I no longer see any value in it. Not for a phone in my pocket. Sure some argue its actually a computer in my pocket, but thats not quite valid, as my pocket sdont hold a keyboard and a monitor. I can get 90% of 950 , in other unlocked phones, at a fraction of the price, in a very powerful mobile device. And its much easier to swallow if I ever lose or damage the  phone and need to replace it . I think the 950 is a very nice phone, despite its paultry market share, and I can afford it, but I simply dont see the value any longer. 

thomasb
I Plan to Stick Around

I do think it's better to evaluate the phone on the basis of needs, rather than the carrier financing. However, on a cost basis, there are more expensive phones out there.

I've found great value in the higher end phones because I'm also looking at the high end camera features, GPS, screen size and legibility for reading, great battery life, synchronization with what I'm working on with my PC, and so on. I only very rarely use the phone feature on my Lumia 1020. There are many occasions when I didn't bring my Surface Pro, and I still got the work I needed to get done on my Lumia. There is an app gap, but I've found many substitutes such as using the mobile web versions of services. But equally so I've been in groups where the Lumia 1020's signal strength is the best, and I even dished out Internet Sharing (up to 8 connections)-- so it's also a wifi hotspot router.

Ripr
I've Been Around

Telus has a bring your own device plan that gives you $20 a month off` plus no insurance makes the premium more palatable.