cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumia 950

Xanman
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, 

when is the Microsoft Lumia 950 availible for preorder at Rogers? 

I am very interested in this phone. 

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Lumia 950

Mediaman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have been a Windows user from the beginning, and now that I have about 6 pc's on Windows 10, I am perfectly content and would never switch. I throughly enjoyed my Windows 8 phone, and now like others, while eager for something newer, I will NOT be getting the 950 at this time. 

As an experiment, I took a spare Samsung Core 4g  we had lying around and started learning it's behavior. At first I had a hard time,  but I kept at it. I did a factory reset, updated to the latest Android version, made selective use of "live"-like widget apps, a few nested menus, and a alphabetic list of "all" apps.  Gotta say, it's not bad at all. Turns out it uses the same type of SIM card as my HTC 8x, so I may just try it out for a bit. The screen size is a tad larger; other specs are not as good...but it may be a nice zero cost option for a while, until other option comes along. 

thomasb
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm switching to the 950 (or 950XL) precisely because it's unlocked. In the past Microsoft has made it difficult to buy models unlocked (except for a few). Now it's easier-- they're all unlocked, more stores have opened in Canada, and one can always order online.

The main point is that Microsoft is moving to treating smartphones as PCs, and it just makes sense not to be tied to a carrier's updating schedule or limited selection of models.

The trend in the U.S. is for manufacturers to sell unlocked smartphones directly (the rest of the world is already there):

http://www.cnet.com/news/best-unlocked-android-phones/

Why do people think being beholden to the carrier overlords is the only path to success for these smartphones?

Mediaman

For me its not the issue of it only being sold unlocked vs subsidized. You pay for the phone either way, whether outright or a bit each month. Sure subsidized is easier on the wallet, but still, Its never free. For me, its not that .. its  simply a matter of value. At $960.44 tax in, I no longer see any value in it. Not for a phone in my pocket. Sure some argue its actually a computer in my pocket, but thats not quite valid, as my pocket sdont hold a keyboard and a monitor. I can get 90% of 950 , in other unlocked phones, at a fraction of the price, in a very powerful mobile device. And its much easier to swallow if I ever lose or damage the  phone and need to replace it . I think the 950 is a very nice phone, despite its paultry market share, and I can afford it, but I simply dont see the value any longer. 

thomasb
I Plan to Stick Around

I do think it's better to evaluate the phone on the basis of needs, rather than the carrier financing. However, on a cost basis, there are more expensive phones out there.

I've found great value in the higher end phones because I'm also looking at the high end camera features, GPS, screen size and legibility for reading, great battery life, synchronization with what I'm working on with my PC, and so on. I only very rarely use the phone feature on my Lumia 1020. There are many occasions when I didn't bring my Surface Pro, and I still got the work I needed to get done on my Lumia. There is an app gap, but I've found many substitutes such as using the mobile web versions of services. But equally so I've been in groups where the Lumia 1020's signal strength is the best, and I even dished out Internet Sharing (up to 8 connections)-- so it's also a wifi hotspot router.

Ripr
I've Been Around

Telus has a bring your own device plan that gives you $20 a month off` plus no insurance makes the premium more palatable.

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around
I'm pretty sure that all the service providers have plans for people who bring their own phones. It's my guess that little or no money is made off the phone hardware, so the might even prefer when customers bring their own phones. I ordered the Windows Phone that my son uses from B & H in the States. He's with Koodo and the switch could have been done entirely on the internet except the previous phone had an older style sim card.

thomasb
I Plan to Stick Around

With Rogers, unlocked phones would go with the "No Tab" option, which is $20/month off.

I was on the Windows Phone Developer Preview, and I really enjoyed getting great features many months before Rogers released the official updates. With Windows 10 as a service, which means routine upgrades throughout the year, the only way to fully make use of that would be to go unlocked.

Unless the carriers have made special deals to deliver timely updates (which I believe is the case with Apple), then it's clear that Windows 10 Mobile is specifically intended to work primarily with the unlocked option.

geokots
I'm Here A Lot
If it is $20/month off then it's an option for me. $480 over 2 years is around where the subsidy.

ph8
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure if this true or not but saw this article http://www.neowin.net/news/canadian-carriers-will-supposedly-not-offer-the-lumia-950-or-lumia-950-xl so wonder if this will leave us the choice of going to MS Store directly

brandonjbarnard

@ph8

From what I have been reading since last week, and what a couple Rogers employee's confirmed on another thread is that Rogers not be offering either Lumia device. So if you are interested in the 950 - 950XL device you will be able to order it here when it becomes available.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/home

As for Bell or Telus, I don't think there has been any official announcement on Lumia availability. (If there has, please someone let me know) I'm waiting to hear something official before I pull the trigger on another windows phone. Can't afford the Lumia 950 so it might be a 930 or a 1520.

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around
I put myself in the notification list. I sure hope those prices are not in $US dollars. It's more than I like spending on a phone that will be worthless in 2 years or so. Hopefully there will be some good real world reviews available before I take the plunge. For that kind of money it better be good.

brandonjbarnard
Those prices are in Canadian. If you saw the Lumia 950 for $750 and the 950XL for $850 it was the Canadian site.
It is quite alot of money. I'm still thinking about my options. Can get a 930 for half that price and it's still a great device. Would last me until the real Microsoft phones come out and hopefully I will have enough cash saved by then to be able to get it unlocked if carriers don't support it here in Canada again. Wondering as well if Canadian carriers are waiting to see how Windows 10 develops before committing to another windows device.
Engadget has great reviews so I'm sure once the phone is released you can get a decent review from them.

Mediaman

Here is a link to some highlights of the rumoured Surface Phone, for 2016:

http://www.mnrdaily.com/article/microsoft.surface.phone.to.be.launched.under.lumia.brand.in.2016/494...

Maybe by then the 950 will have dropped in price. For now, I jumped ship to Android  for my phone (still permanaently loyal to Windows 10 on all desktops). I was suprised how many Microsoft apps are available on the Google Store inlcluding Word, Excel, PwoerPoint, Outlook etc). Very cool.

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around

How are you finding the operating system on your Android phone compared to  the Window's experience?  Some things better and some things worse?

O_M_R
I Plan to Stick Around

@Mediaman Microsoft's refusal to give special status to its own operating system  when it comes to its own software products (at least in mobile) is part of the reason Windows Phone is having a hard time getting noticed.

Paul Thurrott, a well-known tech commentator who writes mostly about Microsoft (see his blog at Thurrott.com), has noted of late that, if you like Microsoft software, the best experience you will have with it on mobile devices is on iOS.

thomasb
I Plan to Stick Around

That's not quite right for Paul Thurrott (https://www.thurrott.com/). He has always preferred Windows Phone, but in the ramp up to Windows 10 Mobile, Microsoft was releasing software of major titles to both Android and iOS, sometimes delaying the release for Windows Phone.

With Windows 10 Mobile out now, that would likely be less of an issue. Paul Thurrott does chide his readers in not realizing that Microsoft telegraphed its intent several months ago-- that it's not going after Apple and Android in the current mobile space, but that it will release key products in key markets in the interim (budget, flagshap, business, with some countries and carriers emphasized). It's the long game that Microsoft's interested in, which was strongly implied at its recent devices launch (mostly Surface products). The next space will likely be identified with something like a Surface Phone-- an Intel device that functions increasingly more like a PC than ever before, with interchangeable peripherals that will work with the other Microsoft devices.

I generally don't like to switch standards as it could mean switching connectors, peripherals, software versions, etc. Microsoft tends to be more conservative to cater to business PC replacement cycles, but that also means there's focus on getting work done rather than fiddling with the device or spending time upgrading all the time. Unlike Apple products, there's usually tons of good budget devices that work with Microsoft software. I tend to look at Android products as one-off appliances-- an ecosystem I don't really want to invest in for the long term.

O_M_R
I Plan to Stick Around

Thurrott still uses a Windows Phone (as do I). But both in print and on Windows Weekly, has has said expressly (and repeatedly) that, currently at least, the best Microsoft mobile "experience" is on iOS.

Although I got the sense that he took no pleasure in saying it.

brandonjbarnard

@Mediaman

I too am curious how your experience on Android has been. I'm thinking of jumping ship as well. Can get a free Android phone with the competition. Looking for some insight before I possibly take the plunge.

Thanks!

B

ph8
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone here using the 830? Just asking as that may be the direction I will go (if Rogers still has some around).  Was also perusing the Rogers site and an IOS device (top end) is C$600+ with subsidy, so wondering if the extra C$100 at the MS store is worth it?

Mediaman
@Glen_B , @brandonjbarnard . Re my jump ship experience, its been very positive.

During my ongoing transition, I have two phones side by each, one on Windows 8.1;the other on Android, same size, so I can quickly go back and forth to compare look and feel functionality etc...and can decide to stick with one or the other. I am more of a keep-it-simple pratical user (vs a 24/7 power user), so your mileage may vary, but if I am honest, I'm really enjoying the change. Not really giving up anything as far as I can tell! I'm going to sail the Android flag for a while. total cost - about $30 in unlocking a spare Samsung just lying around. But I would pay more if needed ( and far less than $1000).

My initial observations are:

1) FUNCTIONALITY/APPS - Nothwithstanding the app gap, I really never had an issue with the "limited' amount of Win 10 apps. On Android of course, its not an issue - tons to choose from ,including a full suite of Microsoft apps. Having more choices and finding absolutely everything on Android, is kinda nice though. Both platforms have a Store to download or buy from as needed.  Just bought my first $2 app off Google Play. Made the purchase on the desktop via Google Play web site, Paid via PayPal and it shows up on the phone. Can of course purchase directly from the phone as well.

2) LOOK AND FEEL - Obviously, totally different ; Windows has tiles and nested tiles, all on one page ( with one swipe to "all apps"; Android has icons and nested icons (folders) on one, or more pages ( with one tap  to "all apps").  Personal preference, and  I can live with either, but after  some time at this, I am now finding Android faster and easier.  I prefer a pretty clean decluttered home screen, but still want intuitive quick access to daily apps so I dont have to go nuts finding things. Comparing each , for me, I found the Android to be less cluttered, more visually appealing. more informative on first glance, easier to locate and navigate to apps , and much less distracting (as there are far fewer icons/tiles to mentally process). I kept the interface to one screen, with predominate date/ time /weather, and handful of icon folders near the bottom ( eg OUTLOOK, NEWS, APPS). Each expands to reveal choices. See visual comparison at top of this page: http://phone.mediamanhost.com/

3) SWIPE LEFT/RIGHT - On Windows, a swipe gets to to all apps. On the Android, you can set up whatever page (or pages) you like.  I set up one page only, the FlipBoard My Magazine. Much more relavant for daily use.

4) LIVE TILES -  Thought I would have to give that up, but the equivalent on the android side is widgets. So just a stare at the screen still gives me the updates I am looking for.

5) CUSTOMIZATION -  I would say some of the Android apps seem to offer more customization than the Win 10 counterparts.

6) CLOSING OPEN APPS - On Win 10, I can quicklly see all the open apps, but need to close them one at a time. On the Android, I have the same, but can close them all at once -  a big time saver.

7) INTEGRATION WITH MY WIN 10 DESKTOP- Even with a Win 10 phone, any integration was achieved via use of cloud storage or use of web apps. Its no different with the android. And both the Win 10 phone and the Android are unique from Windows 10 desktop,  so either is accpetable from that point of view. That is, my Windows 10 desktop is NOT a bunch of tiles. Finally, I have zero need for Continuum. So both phones intergrate nicely with my desktop.

Bottom line, for my needs.  no issues jumping ship, or not jumping, but I do find the Android more viusally appealing, decluttered, easier to navigate , with a healthy library of apps and large inventory of available phones at all price points. I love Windows 10 on my desktops and would never switch, but I have no issues with an Android phone in my pocket.

brandonjbarnard

@Mediaman

Wow! thank you so much for that in depth review.

Out of curiosity which Samsung are you using and is it the latest Lolipop operating system?

I've been flipping back and forth between sticking with my 920 for now or getting a free Android. Its tempting, but I'm afraid that I"ll get an Android phone, hate it and be stuck with it for two years or have to buy myself out of the bad decision.

Thanks again for your review! Its appreciated!

B