cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumia 950

Xanman
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, 

when is the Microsoft Lumia 950 availible for preorder at Rogers? 

I am very interested in this phone. 

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Lumia 950

brandonjbarnard
I'm a Reliable Contributor
So in the U.S. Microsoft didn't offer the phones to any carrier but AT&T. So they probably didn't offer it to any Canadian Carriers.
Read a good article on windows central last night. It was about the current mobile devices still being "Nokia" devices and we haven't seen any true Microsoft device yet. The article also mentioned that it was narrowing availability with a broader release in the future. Maybe this is a way to let the windows 10 mobile go through the growing pains and kill off the last of the Lumia line. Microsoft still getting mobile platform situated after Nokia acquisition. Panos just joined Microsoft in July and hasnt had much time with the division. Maybe Microsoft wants to offer their true windows device to all carriers after the OS has time to be more developed and after they can develop their own device and not some Microsoft-Nokia hybrid. Thoughts?

thomasb
I Plan to Stick Around

I have read a lot of those articles as well, from thurrott.com, Windows Central, Winbeta, Ars Technica, etc. I think that there is enough indication that Microsoft is going towards an Intel-based Windows 10 Mobile solution, which will run Win32 applications that can be wrapped and downloaded from the Store (but won't work on ARM-based phones). These would work well with Continuum.

But I don't think that negates the value of the 950 and 950XL (which would predominantly be used for touch-optimized apps), and I'd still rather try to get out of the carrier financing plans. Windows Phone has done well in Europe (latest Kantar numbers puts it at about 10%), and this is because the carrier lock-in isn't like the U.S. or Canada, and these phones depend more on their price/performance. For that reason, and some recent bulk purchases by enterprises (such as the New York Police Department), I don't think Windows Mobile is going anywhere. There will also continue to be a large number of budget Windows Phones around.

If the new phones (perhaps called "Surface Phones") arrive, it'll likely be a few months if not a year or so before I would want to switch again, especially if Windows 10 Mobile gets constantly updated with new features.

I'd rather see Microsoft copy Apple on providing financing for Windows 10 Mobile, and then pair that with a BYOD plan with whatever carrier works best. That's makes so much more sense than putting up with the idea that the carrier approach is best. In the case of Verizon in the U.S., even when they had Windows Phones, there were ridiculous delays in updaing them.

grapemanca
I Plan to Stick Around

Talked to every carrier store in my local mall today. I think I'm going to stick with my Lumia 920 for another 4-6 months and simply wait for the 950XL to go on sale. The reality is that these phones will not sell in Canada. Microsoft refuses to offer a payment plan at any of its stores (I know because I've called them) and no carrier appears willing to sell them in Canada. So, the phone will be fire-saled very quickly. A lousy business plan for Microsoft, but a boon for those of us who like Microsoft in spite of itself!

At least where I live (the Fraser Valley east of Vancouver), Koodo and Fido look like the cheapest BYOD providers, by the way.

brandonjbarnard
I'm a Reliable Contributor
It's a disappointing time to be a windows phone user in Canada that's for sure. A lot of us are ditching Rogers and going to Android. Rogers never did anything to help facilitate the success of Windows phone. I'm itching to get a new phone and I keep flip flopping like a crooked politician over what to do.

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around
I know that feeling. I want an upgrade once I'm certain it won't have the battery issues my 920 has. If I were to switch where would I go? Android? I have an Android tablet and it does well the two thing I wanted it to but as a phone, I just don't trust the security. Apple? To me it only makes sense if you're part of that whole system. Windows is a good fit. I like what it can do. But I do get tired of how hard Microsoft makes it to be a customer. I mean, when they offer apps to Apple and Android before their own phones it's like they don't respect their own customer base. Now if I want a New phone I have to go to the Microsoft Store and I'll bet they will hold the price high whether it sells or not, assuming they'll even stock it.