cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumia 950

Xanman
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, 

when is the Microsoft Lumia 950 availible for preorder at Rogers? 

I am very interested in this phone. 

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Lumia 950

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to let you know we have posted an update regarding Window devices.

Please see this link.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/WindowsPhone/message-id/4530#M45... 

Regards, 

RogersAliciaG

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @RogersAliciaG

Beat you to the punch!. Look above :p. Thank you though!

@Meowmix Smiley Wink

I saw that after I posted.

Regards, 

RogersAliciaG

Mediaman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

OK, now that it has been clarified that Rogers wont be offering the 950 phones, the only option is to pay the high price at Microsoft directly. I therefore do not understand the posted statement that:

"Paying up front is obviously difficult for some people, but you can be secure in the knowledge that, over a couple of years, you will not pay any more than if you bought it with a subsidy."

Lets assume I would pay $895 for a phone ( which I asbolutely would NEVER do). How is this better than paying for a subsidized phone at say $300???? .  Is someone saying that if you bring your own Microsoft 950 phone into a Rogers plan, you will be offered a reduced monthly rate, ie the normal rate less $20/mo??? Yes, that  works out to $240/year, or $750 savings over 3 years -- but wehre is this stated in writing. I do not get this offer whenever I talk to Customer Service.

Is this all related to "Premium tab" "discount tab" and "no tab" ??? ... but I thought all that only applied to Rogers supplied phones.

Sorry, but I am very confused right now... Would really welcome some clarity.

O_M_R
I Plan to Stick Around

@Mediaman Click on the "info" button for "Device Payment Options," and you'll see this:

Here are the 3 different ways that you can pay for your device:

• Premium Tab
    Pay the lowest price on your device today.
  • Smart Tab
    Pay more for your phone upfront and save $10/month on your plan.
  • No Tab
    Bring your own device or pay for it in full and save $20/month on your plan.

Mediaman

Thought that was  for when you purchase a phone from Rogers ... but the No Tab does say bring your own.... hmmm.

Mediaman

Can you please provide the direct link. I simply do not see the info you posted re $20/off on No Tab.

a) I went to Shop/Wireless. It talks about the Sharee Everything plans. But I do not see an "info" button for "Device Payment Options" , I do not see anything about the tabs.
Ref:: http://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless#plans

b) I went to Shop/Wireless/Bring you own Device page - I do not see anythign about the Tabs
Ref: :http://www.rogers.com/web/link/build-your-plan?category=bring_your_own

I guess I am doing something wrong, but it sure is frustrating.

O_M_R
I Plan to Stick Around

@Mediaman Exactly, but "No Tab" is an option when you bring your own unlocked device to Rogers (by defintion, not purchased from Rogers).

Click on the "info" button next to "Device Payment Options" and an info window pops up:

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/share-everything

Mediaman

How do I get to that link from Rogers.Com / Shop ?????

UPDATE -- Ahhh finally found it, middle of the page under  "View All Share Everything"

No wonder I never saw it.. Buried in a footnote , five levels deep.

Mediaman

Even with $20 off, adding a second line on the Share Everything 1 GB plan would cost $60/mo according to that link.  I will need to check my chat logs, but could have sworn I was quoted much less, closer to $40/mo.  This whole 950 thing is leaving quite a sour taste with me. LG G4 looking very good right now! Better still, maybe I will just wait a few more months for the 950 to go on a fire sale,  given it is doomed to fail in Canada.

O_M_R
I Plan to Stick Around

@Mediaman It's certainly annoying, but I'm willing to pay a (slight) premium to get the device I want, and that's the 950.

brandonjbarnard

@Mediaman

yeah I went through the 5 stages of grief myself this afternoon. Im a huge windows fanboy and as much as i hate to think or admit have been looking at Android options to replace my Lumia 920. Given my financial situatin I don't have much choice. can't spend a mortgage payment on a bloody cell phone!  What I might also do though is look into a Lumia 930 or 1520. Still awesome specs and with new Lumias being released might be able to find something cheaper. 

Mediaman

I too will not spend a mortgage payment on a phone. So no 950 for me. It's really too bad, wouldn't be so expensive if Rogers offered it like any other phone. I bet it would be a great seller. I guess Rogers expects the new Microsoft Store in New York will be empty? Moot point. 

The 930 is an interesting Plan B (See comparison below with the new entry level 550) but what is the cost, and where does one obtain one? I am coming from an HTC 8x. 

Ref: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Microsoft-Lumia-550,Nokia-Lumia-930/phones/9547,8571

brandonjbarnard
It really is too bad, but can't do much if they aren't going to offer it. Really disappointed.

As much as I love windows I've been looking at Android options. eBay searches for a Lumia 930 was still in the $400-$500 range. A search on www.expansys.ca yielded no results as they have none in stock. You can also check Omegacell to see if they have any 930's. I can get a HTC ONE M9 for $150 on two year contract. That's more my price range. I'll get rid of all the google services and put all the Microsoft services on it. Can get all the ones I have on my current phone on Android. Outlook, OneDrive, one note, office mobile, etc.

Mediaman

Ya, that's a much better price range!  LG G4 is also in that range.

I might also be able to get a used Lumia 830 (edited).  Toying with that as well.

brandonjbarnard
I looked at the LG 4 as well based on your comment from a previous post. Looks like a good device. Despite what tech sites say HTC make quality phones so will be checking those out tomorrow at a Rogers store. Wasn't going to rush into anything but I've waited long enough for a new windows flagship that isn't going to arrive.

Do you mean a Lumia 830 or 640? Either of those phones would be a upgrade to the HTC 8x and still get the windows 10 update.

Mediaman

Oops, my bad...you are right , meant to say 830 ...... http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Products/Nokia-Lumia-830

brandonjbarnard
L830 are decent devices. Was going to get one myself last year but decided I wasn't going to waste an upgrade on a sidegrade. The side by side comparisons between the two devices were very close. So decided to stick with my L920 and wait for the flagship.

Rockford
I Plan to Stick Around

Gotta say, I'm really disappointed that Rogers won't be carrying at least one of the new Windows Phones. Even if I get one from MS there will obviously be no Rogers apps for it. Granted, there ain't a lot now anyways but I do rely on their Home Monitoring app daily and imagine there probably won't be one for Windows 10. Why not access it from the web, you say? Ya, maybe but that doesn't work now so I don't think it will in 10 either. Have to wait and see I guess. Failing that I will be going Android. What's the best camera phone for that OS? One of the main reasons I went with Windows Phone in the first place was the 1020's amazing camera.

Just a guy.

Rockford
I Plan to Stick Around
I'm also surprised that MS, apparently, hasn't somehow been able to use its clout to get carriers in Canada (and elsewhere?) on board. I say that but don't really know practically speaking what they could actually do but come on, you're Microsoft! Windows 10 is a big deal for them. They really do need to hit the ground running. I know Canada is hardly a priority but NO carrier support on your new flagships? Come on!
Just a guy.

Rockford
I Plan to Stick Around
My guess is 8 current Windows Phone users out of 10 will bail if they have to pay full pop from the get-go at the MS store. And you can forget about gaining any new users if people have to go to the MS store. I really have to wonder about MS's strategy here. Seems like Windows mobile will be a non starter in Canada.
Just a guy.