Looking for data plans for a GPS real time tracker unit to be used in Canada.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Looking for data plans for a GPS real time tracker unit to be used in Canada.

I am in the process of purchasing a GPS real time tracking unit for the elderly. For the most of the units I am considering a Rogers LTE SIm card is required. What I would like to learn what kind of dataplans are available and at what monthly cost.  These units simply track Satellite and GSM and upload the info to either a smartphone and/or a PC.

When I go to a Rogers retailer they are unable to provide me with an answer.  Any help is very much appreciated.

*** Edited Labels ***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersShakir
Retired Moderator

Re: Looking for data plans for a GPS real time tracker unit to be used in Canada.

Hello @hendrikmbc

If I understand you correctly, the non-rogers (grey market) GPS device uses a sim card to access the network so it can send the tracking information to a smartphone or a PC? If so, how is it sending the information, is it linked to an app via smartphone or PC, SMS/MMS or Email?

Based on your answer we can help you direct to the right plan and additional information if needed.

Cheers,

RogersShakir

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Looking for data plans for a GPS real time tracker unit to be used in Canada.

Thanks for your response, yes it replies to both an app on a smartphone and to a PC via the manufacturers webside using google maps there is no email involved.

One unit I tried which is not working correctly for our purposes had a Rogers LTE SIM plus a monthly $ 20 contract negotiated by the manufacturer with Rogers.  Most other unit one has to arrange for a SIM and a monthly plan for themselves.

Retired Moderator RogersShakir
Retired Moderator

Hello @hendrikmbc,

There are options you can find for yourself here: Data Flex Rate Plans

It will be similar to tablet plans as your GPS device sounds like a data only device.

From personal experience, Satellite-GPS itself doesn't require data, mapping system uses data in kilobytes. However, I would like to refer you to the manufacture about data consumption to know what your data needs are, as there is an app involved.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

RogersShakir