Issues for Nokia Lumia 920

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Issues for Nokia Lumia 920

Has anyone experienced excessive data consumption on the Nokia Lumia 920? I have had the phone for 3+ weeks and ran up over 4GB of data usage in that time. Day one of my new billing cycle and I have used 349MB - this is while I was connected to a WiFi all day at work and on a plane for 4 hours in the evening. I have found some references to Skype being a problem and also some references to the Cellular network be used by this phone in preference to the WiFi network. Even so, I did not really use the phone for anything demanding other than e-mail.

Rogers suggested a phone reset. Nokia suggested that it was my e-mail that syncs every two hours. Nokia finally relented and opened a problem ticket with their technical help desk - possibly a 5 day wait for response on that ticket.

FYI... All XBox connections were disabled, and I don't have an XBox account regardless. Skype is not deleted.

Any ideas?

I Plan to Stick Around

That's pretty weird. I have two and haven't seen this issue in either - you probably just got a faulty device. If you are within the 15 day period (which you probably aren't since you contacted Nokia), get a new one.

Has the reset of the phone helped? You could try a hardware reset? and don't add any applications for a day and see what comes out when you refresh the device.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Do you have yahoo mail?

I've heard this was an issue in the original Windows Phone.  Not sure if that's completely fixed yet.

I Plan to Stick Around

You do realize pulkit10 that tons of people have bricked their 920s by doing a hard reset....

I've Been Here Awhile

I just got a bill with a charge for extra data usage. I got my phone on Dec 28 and, as of that date, my usage is up by a factor of about 50. If anyone has had this problem and resolved it, please let us know. Thanks. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jakeflh

This has been a issue before when the Lumia 920 came out as well. You can call in & speak to a rep or ask for a Manager. Let them know what is going on & see what they can do for you.
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Meowmix,

In the end, I mentioned the issue to my son who told me that the last OS uprade for WP8 included the ability to leave WiFi on when the phone is in locked mode (i.e., when the screen times out). I had no idea that this wouldn't be the case. I checked under Settings -> WiFi -> Advanced and, sure enough, there was an unchecked item "Keep WI-Fi on when the screen times out" I checked this box and the issue seems to be resolved.

I also noticed how many programs were set to run in background, i.e., even when they were not open, (go to Settings, swipe to Applications, then select background tasks). I can imagine how much data was generated by these applications while my phone was locked (most of the time) and thus going through the network rather than WiFi.

As an aside, I did call Rogers and spoke to their technical support department. The rep informed me that she couldn't do any troubleshooting regarding WiFi vs network data usage and, in stead, sent me a document that listed a few basic itemsthat could affect data usage (streaming audio and video, downloading movies, etc.). It mentioned none of the above critical items. Either they are not in the least knowledgeableor about WP8 or simply want to encourage users to increase their data plans. Either way, it does not speak well for Rogers as an organization.

I Plan to Stick Around

Background tasks are not the app running the background. Windows Phone has two types of background tasks: Normal ones that can only fire every 30 minutes for 25 seconds and Intensive ones that can run for 10 minutes at a time.

Intensive tasks have extreme restrictions on them. They can only fire when the phone is connected to WiFi, not currently being used (screen is off), the phone has an external power source, no call is taking place and the battery level is above 90%.

It's possible that with the advent of LTE, lots of data was downloaded in those 25 seconds. But I just wanted to point out that background tasks do not run at all times.

There are only two things than can run in the background: An audio stream that the user starts and background location tracking for an app the user has turned on such as feature (e.g.: Nokia Drive)

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the clarification on background tasks, Entegy.

Your suggestion that, with the advent of LTE, lots of data can be downloaded in 25 seconds, may be correct. I used 369 MB of data in the first ten days of my current billing cycle. In the following ten days, after selecting 'Keep Wi-Fi on when the screen times out', I used only 30 MB. My usage patterns were roughly the same for both periods.

I've Been Around

i was using my lumia 920 normally... i was entering music and then it showed loading and i waited for ever and didn't work then...one more sec and the screen stopped working too... then the buttons and am now screwed and thought it might because it was cold outside... i got home and nothin is working right... i really need help.. and my phone never did something lke this before and i bought two weeks ago... please help if someone knows what to do....