Is there a cellular signal booster?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Is there a cellular signal booster?

My cellular signal coverage in my home (and on my street) is very low. 

Is there a way to boost the signal when at home with an approved device for this purpose on the Rogers Network?  I have both iPhone and Android handsets.

I've heard somewhere about a femtocell that can utilize wifi and switch the communications through the ISP network.  Is this something Rogers provides or is considering?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Around

Re: Is there a cellular signal booster?

I was wondering the same thing. 

I live in my basement and there is little to no reception down here.

Is there something we can buy and install?

I Plan to Stick Around

I hope someone will answer this...I've done a bit more research on 'femtocells'..and here is what I get.

Femtocell

A micro-cellular base station, typically designed for use in residential or small business environments. It connects to the service providers network via broadband (such as DSL or cable). Femtocells typically support two to five mobile phones in a residential setting and allows service providers to enhance service coverage indoors, especially where access would otherwise be limited or unavailable. Femtocells are an alternative to UMA for delivering Fixed Mobile Convergence in that they do not require use of a dual-mode (WiFi-enabled) handset.

Verizon offer a Samsung manufactured Femtocell transciever for $250 to their customers...and the feedback is excellent.

Rogers?

I'm a Senior Advisor

We have something like this http://www.wilsonelectronics.com////Products.php?Type=B
at work to boost the signal while inside the building. It works pretty well. I moved up a couple bars in signal and the guys in the back who had no signal can now use their phones..
I've Been Around

Yes and no! 

I called Rogers and spoke with Rogers Sales, then Technical support. Neither had heard of femtocells. The Sales rep had no idea if such a product even existed, then transferred me to tech support. I again explained what femtocells were and he put me on hold. When the Tech support guy returned he confirmed Rogers does not support femtocells but said there was a coverage extender or signal booster type product available in most stores, although he wasn't sure what the product was actually called.

Earlier I had sent an email request to Rogers asking about femtocells, their reply is below:

Unfortunately femtocells is not a supported feature at Rogers.  We
currently support UMA which works similar to femtocell but will only
work on a limited amount of devices.  The service is called Talkspot. 
Please click on the following link for more information.
https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/talkspot

I followed the link and it sounds like a step in the right direction ... but it only has a 30 metre range and only works with two select phone models.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers IS familiar with Femtocells. However, the departments you spoke with do not know much about them or nothing at all. They won't give you any info, because its not something they offer, and they tend to not speculate on any future offerings either.

A product called spotwave is a known cell repeater. I've used one before. it has an antenna that picks up a weak signal, and amplifies it to another area like indoors where the signal is non-existant.

Be sure to click Likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s).

I've Been Around

I bought one of these for my cottage (Wilson Electronics).

Bestbuy in the US sells these in there stores.

It comes with an external antenna, 50 feet of coaxial cable, and an indoor base station that plugs into the wall.

Works quite well, but I've noticed the 200$-300$ options you should be sitting near the base station.

Wilson electronics has other very expensive options that repeat the signal a lot more, but can't complain for the 200-300$ I spent.

I don't drop any calls now, where as before I had issues

Paul

I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry but I DO NOT feel I should pay even more to Rogers to make sure my cell phone works near or in my home! Rogers calls this a solution?! I am fed up with Rogers. I have a simple voice only phone, use it ONLY when I find reception and am charged on average $60 month. So...their solution to the terrible or non existent coverage near my home is to charge me MORE so I can use the phone. I am switching to another, more reliable service provider.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@NancyM this is not Rogers solution this is just a solution. Rogers solution is for you to call them and report dead coverage areas and hopefully they address the issue.
I've Been Here Awhile

I have tried many many times. No solution was offered so I am now going to change providers even if I have to pay to leave my contract.