Is Rogers giving up on Windows Phone?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Is Rogers giving up on Windows Phone?

It seem sthat Rogers is giving up on Windows phone.  There has been no indication that any of the newer devices are coming to Rogers and if you go into a retail location they don't have any Windows Phones on display and if you ask for one they don't have any and can't get any.

I'd love to be wrong as I love the Windows Phone platform but the Canadian carriers seem to quit on it.

***Edited Labels.***

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Is Rogers giving up on Windows Phone?

Hello caffeinatedgeek

Unfortunately all carriers seem to giving up on Windows due to the lack of sales of Windows devices here in Canada. The carriers don't want to spend money on something they may not be able to make money off. It's a gamble for them like any company would.

Its also that the store reps are the ones who are also causing this problem. You have store reps or even call center reps which are telling customers that Windows devices are doing well and it's not for them so they get them to something else. ( i have seen this in front of my eyes many times and had this happen once to me).

Also its Nokia and Microsoft as much for the blame as they don't promote it much in Canada nor show they are interested to bring much here. Everyone is to blame, not just Rogers or the carriers.
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm getting fed up with this, and hoping more and more that we start getting some big changes coming to the telecom space. The carriers should acknowledge the fact they are just content pipes and let us pick the phone we want. No more subsidies, lower monthly fees is what I want. I'm happy to pay full price for a phone if I could get decent rates on mobile plans. What we need to do is make the phone manufacturers sell the phones themselves. Then Apple has to justify $800 for a phone, while a top end Lumia goes for $500-600. Suddenly, Windows phones look a lot more attractive. Plus, you'd get more people comparing specs on the low end seeing that a Lumia 635 is a great deal.

Meowmix, the notion that Windows Phone sales are bad and so carriers wont sell them is a bit chicken and egg scenario. I can't buy any new Windows Phones (other than the 635, whoopee), so I don't, and then people say, "gee, windows phone isn't selling well". It's absurd. The Carriers each have the same, or MORE models of blackberry for sale. Blackberry... which has less worldwide marketshare the WP I might add. I've had numerous cases where someone tried to talk me out of getting a Windows phone, after I stated that's what I wanted. Folks, it's not surprising it's not selling well if you tell your customers not to buy it. We can say WP isn't selling well, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't if Rogers actually put some effort into it. Maybe they need some WP "evangelists" where they partner with WP owners... I'd be up for that, and its a heck of a lot cheaper for them too.

The bottom line is, Rogers hasn't even tried to promote Windows phone, and instead just complain it isn't selling well. Meanwhile, they spend tons of marketing dollars on the iPhone, which doens't need marketing. The Lumia 1020 was a promoted product for maybe a week, and then I heard nothing about it any more. That's not good enough, Rogers or the other carriers aren't trying. Worse yet is not making things available. Fine, don't promote it, but give me a CHOICE. The second issue is Microsoft Canada isn't agressive at all. If it isn't selling well, then push harder, if the carriers aren't biting, say "screw you" and sell unlocked versions behind their backs. Microsoft Canada needs to creat demand and they aren't trying nearly as hard as any other market.

I Plan to Stick Around

Found a great deal on Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-937,,,Check it out ,,You cant beat the price as well one yr warranty,,,Factory unlocked and works great on Rogers Network,,,I have one,,,,,,,,,,http://www.bazaardirectltd.com/nokia---lumia-1520-4g-cell-phone-factory-unlocked-303-p.asp

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Michael-r-4

Is this for real? Like these guys aren't selling hot stuff are they lol. Is it used equipment? Refurb?

Did you get them to mail it to you in Canada, or did you use an American warehouse? Rochester is a bit of a hike for me, but I can get it shipped to Buffalo no problem

Why and how is this so cheap? I've seen Used Lumia 1020s on kijiji for $350 and that's what these guys sell, apparently new.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes they mail to Canada $45 i believe,,IMIE checked out,Not sure if they bought every 1520 on the planet but it's a great deal