HTC 8X Windows Phone 8.1 update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: HTC 8X Windows Phone 8.1 update

Cortana works on mine without any intervention.  

I Plan to Stick Around

To VC, I confirm the same issue you're having, in the Cortana thread. The EN-US speech won't install, with the same ...308 error.

I tried enabling EN-UK speech, and that seemed to work, but in order to enable Cortana, I had to install the EN-UK keyboard.  It downloads, but fails to install, with the same ...308 error.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@JHector wrote:
Does Cortana work on .359, and did it work on .341 and .306?

If that was to me, who'd said I was on .359 on my HTC 8x, then the answer is "yes", as Cortana has worked without issue since I first installed 8.1 Preview back in September. She is, and has always been in "Alpha".

- My phone's 'region' is set to: Canada; regional format: "match phone language"

- My phone's 'language' is set to 'English (Canada)' and it is the only installed language.

Underneath 'English (Canada'), it shows: "Phone language: enabled", "Regional format: enabled"

- My phone's installed Keyboards are: 'English (United States)' and 'Spanish (Mexico)'

- My phone's 'speech language' setting is set to "English (United States)"

Edit: okay this is weird: I just checked my phone's 'about' page today and I'm on 8.10.14219.341

I swear I typed the higher version # the other day while looking directly at the phone.

I Plan to Stick Around

There must be some change between .306 (the version delivered by Rogers last week) and .341 (obtained by running the developer preview) that allows the EN-US speech or EN-UK keyboard to be installed without error messages.  I suspect that short of installing the DP, the only way to enable Cortana in the Rogers build will be to wait for 8.1 Update 2, assuming it either fixes the installation issues or includes EN-CA speech support.  Better still would be for Rogers to release the .341 and .359 updates.

I've Been Here Awhile

So I downloaded 8.1 from Rogers and I successfully downloaded US English language/keyboard and set region to US, however, it is still showing "I'm afraid I'm not availaboe to help in your regoin with the language you've chosen".  Any suggestions?  Under languages, it's showing both English (US) and English (Canada), but US is on the top.  Thanks in advance!

I've Been Here Awhile

Quick update, it's working now!  I don't know why, after downloading US language/keyboard and setting region to US, it wouldn't work.  So I changed region back to Canada, rebooted, and now it works!  Setting it up right now Smiley Happy

edit: I do not have windows developer preview.  This is stock from Rogers.  Giving it a try now, works pretty well, this is fun!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Are there still some fellow HTC 8X users out there?

In September, by mistake, Microsoft temporarily made a W10Mobile Insider build available to our phones. I and many others around the world installed it, or at least tried to -- but it failed and made ours phones unusable. Eventually we were able to flash the phone with a carrier-specific "recovery file" that Microsoft made available.. but the file for most if not all was for an older version of WP 8.1 (8.10.14203.306 for Rogers HTC 8X phones).

No updates were found when I checked for updates, so I installed the Insider app again. When I check for updates, it finds an update (8.10.14219.341) and downloads it, but it throws an error (80188301) during installation.

I *think* the same thing is happening to everyone who was affected, but I'm not sure.

If you have an HTC 8X (Rogers version), I'd like to know:

1) if you go to Settings->About->more information, what OS version do you see?

2) were/are you enrolled in the Windows Insider program or Preview for Developers program?

3) if you go to "phone update", and check for updates, does it find anything? What?/does it give you an error message if you try to install it (if so, what #?)

Thanks.