HTC 8X Windows Phone 8.1 update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: HTC 8X Windows Phone 8.1 update

thanks, I always try to avoid preview but sounds like we don't have any other choice.  since you are getting update from Microsoft after you installed DEV preview.  Is that mean you will actually receive update to make the preview same as the RTM/Production code but without the Rogers crapwares?   Or the updates are DEV preview versions too?  What's the build number of your 8.1?  The latest production build is 8.10.12400.899.  

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I wasn't going to get into the preview either because of what it could do to my phone, and possibly void any warranties. However now with my phone being over 2 years old I got curious about the developers preview and wanted to see what it was about. Plus I'm tired of waiting for the update so I just did it myself.

As far as I know these updates are the ones that Microsoft releases directly to the user as updates are made for the software. As a "developer" we would need access to all the recent updates in order to develop apps properly. this link may help make things a bit clearer

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-sign-windows-phone-81-preview-developers

Now with Windows 10 coming out there seems to be a bit of a split between "preview for developers" and "Windows Insider." I don't know if Microsoft merged those two things together or if they are seperate apps. windows insider are for those who really want to try early builds of windows 10 and don't care about how buggy it is, and preview for developers are for those who want to get a more polished version of the OS. (I've been researching this most of the morning off and on as time allows).

So here are the OS versions I had in order.

Before Dev Preview - 8.10.12393.890

After installing Dev Preview and after first update - 8.10.12400.899

Current OS version is - 8.10.14157.200

Highlighted

Update...

Windows Insider is a seperate app in which you have to login and register seperately from the Developers Preview. If you want to be a insider and get windows 10 technical preview then this is the app you need.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/windows-insider/ed2b1421-6414-4544-bd8d-06d58ee402a5

Its not recommended that users put this technical preview on their daily driver as its an early build of the OS. It may contain a lot of bugs.

I installed the insider app and registered but I have not enabled my phone yet for the technical preview update as I am going to wait and see how the release goes before I jump in.

I Plan to Stick Around

WP 8.1 available today on my HTC 8X.  The first update prepares for the second, actual update to 8.1 (8.10.14203.306).

I Plan to Stick Around

The second update took a while but all went well!  Thanks Rogers and HTC!  I didn't check the build number but 8.10.14203.306 looks like one of the newest build, does it include update 1?  Hopefully Lumia 920 will get that too.  

If it updated to windows 8.1 update 1 you should have Live Folders and Alpha version of Cortana available now. To check for Cortana you go to Settings>Applications and it should be the first application on the list. I checked for a Rogers update on my phone after reading your post but there is no new update for the L920
I Plan to Stick Around

8.10.14203.306 is the newest version of 8.1 Update 1, except for 8.10.14219.341 and 8.10.14226.359, which appear to be the 'Denim' updates for Lumia phones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone_version_history

Not sure if or when the Denim changes will make their way to the 8X.

Next up, W10.

@JHector wrote:

8.10.14203.306 is the newest version of 8.1 Update 1, except for 8.10.14219.341 and 8.10.14226.359, which appear to be the 'Denim' updates for Lumia phones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone_version_history

Not sure if or when the Denim changes will make their way to the 8X.

Next up, W10.

FYI: my originally Rogers HTC 8X, now unlocked and on another carrier, is on Developer Preview and updated this week to 8.10.14226.359

I Plan to Stick Around

Does Cortana work on .359, and did it work on .341 and .306?
I've Been Around

Hi all,

My HTC 8x also got the 8.1 update OTA (8.10.14203.306) last weekend.

However, Cortana does not work. It appears that this is because the English (US) speech/language pack was not installed by HTC or Rogers (as part of the ROM), and is necessary for Cortana to work in Canada (English). Attempting to install the language addition, results in an installation failure: 80188308 (Has something to do with the system running out of storage on the system partition, regardless of available user storage; supposedly fixed back in September). See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wpdp-wpupdate/0x80188308-error-on-81-dp-update-1-i...

Does anyone else have this issue or know of a working fix?

Thanks in advance.

-- VC