Great Lumia 950 and 950XL deal

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Great Lumia 950 and 950XL deal

Glen_B, I went from a 920 to the 950 XL, zero regrets. Loved my 920, and the 950 XL is better in every way. Love the new OS; it works great and is very stable. There is a beta iris scanner for the 950 and 950 XL if you are interested in an alternate phone unlock. The continuum dock is a very cool piece of tech. I'd love to have it but can't justify the price right now. If it isn't for you, one should be able to sell is quick and for a higher price and get an even further discount for the phone alone.

BS, you'll love the integration. Windows 10 is now a universal ecosystem and platform that is fully compatible between mobile and tablet and computer. It is the first OS to reach this goal, neither Android nor Apple have that intercompatibility in design and apps. Everyone was striving to get there first but MS did it. Now with app developers can design a single Windows 10 app and it will work across the UWP (universal windows platform), including computers, tablets and mobile. That is a huge customer base (over 300 million computers running windows 10 alone) and should really speed up app development for the mobile platform. Here are some good reads to understand why windows mobile 10 is so big and where it is going. 

https://larsklint.com/7-reasons-why-the-universal-windows-platform-is-a-big-deal/

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-and-duo-user-hey-consumers-microsoft-designing-phone-you

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-and-duo-user-part-ii-microsoft-enterprise-and-consumer-compa...

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-and-duo-user-part-iii-hey-world-microsoft-built-windows-10-e...

You can read more articles here and the other duo user articles, http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-phone

And read up on Continuum, it has the ability to use a W10 phone more like a computer, down to wireless keyboards, mice and MS Office software, etc. e.g. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17280/windows-10-mobile-continuum

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-and-duo-user-part-iv-hey-unbelievers-microsoft-connecting-co...

You'll also really like the interface. It has familiarity with earlier the W8 and W7 mobile OS, with tiles being so intuitive and simple, but it is so much more powerful, flexibe and customizable.

I have been very happy with an unlocked W10 phone. Have had something like six updates to the phone already in six months, generally there is a new one pushed out every month for changes/fixes/improvements. That is much more than my Rogers 920 OS was ever updated over 3+ years.  Around a month ago (Aug 10ish) .the W10 anniversary update came out for W10 mobile phones too (just like computers and around the same time). That was a major update with lots of changes and improvements. Redstone 2 is coming in the new year as another huge update so support for the OS.

Current prices on the Lumia 950 and 950 XL are very good. Just price out an Iphone 7. And that phone has no sd card slot, no wireless charging, no replacable battery, lower screen resolution, no headphone jack, etc, etc. Rumours point to an expensive surface branded phone to take over from the 950 options next year. It will likely be 20-30% more expensive than the 950 XL was when new ($850). 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you, that is helpful to know.   How have you found your battery life?    Does the phone get hot at times like the 920?

I Plan to Stick Around

Happy to help. I'll try to answer any questions if I can.

Using the phones in a similar manner I find the battery life on the 950 XL is in the realm of the 920, though a little less. The 950 battery life is fairly comparable to the 920. I can get a couple days worth between charges if I wanted, and use wifi, data, location, camera and some apps. 

Both 950's can get hot when used heavily processor wise, like the 920. For general use I don't notice any or much heat. I do find it getting warm with some of my heavier camera/video use but that's about it. Note those uses concurrently upload and use the cloud (onedrive) so it is more than just pictures/video going on. Both the 950 and 950 XL have liquid cooling, the first phones ever and two of the few now. Though I don't know how much that affects the impression of the phone getting warm.

I Plan to Stick Around

FWIW I just got my second update since the WM10 anniversary update on August 10. I'm probably around 8 updates now since May of this year when I got the phone. I love having an unlocked phone which makes this possible (regular manufacturer OS updates vs carrier pushed updates). It will be very very hard for me to go back to a locked phone now. I know redstone 2 is coming as well. WM10 support and development is humming along. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

I am getting more and more interested in the idea of the Windows 10 phones - or since I am an old BB user, still using a Q10, I may look at a direct order new BB Android (can even buy them from Staples) - the idea of not dealing with carriers for upgrades sounds real nice.  Sure you may run into some issues of compatability, and will have to get all the settings (on the network) for the applicable carrier, but you can also get it from this board, or any other carrier if you are elsewhere.

Nothing has driven me more crazy during my time with BB 10's was waiting for upgrades from carriers.

And I really do like the idea of the integration of Win 10 and their phones - don't know how good the integration with BB Android is, BB link is not a pretty solution at all, but as I reach the end of the life of my Q10, the most Windows 10's are definitely going to be an option, but I won't be doing the top ones, just not in a price range I am willing to pay.

Nice reading ideas from people on these products and your experiences.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thx Bruce, I'll keep going if people let me know they want that. 

There are a lot of information gaps on WM10 phones and the OS. Ask anything. 

FWIW, here is some info not generally known on the major forums.  I couldn't find the basic info on compatibility of headphones with one button versus 3 button remotes for the Lumia 950 and 950 XL. I ended up buying some to  test. Great news. The three button remote heaphones work perfectly. That is awesome as it gives way more remote functions than the one button remote. I can adjust volume, play and pause a song, answer and hang up a call, forward a song and reverse a song... ALL with the three button remote. A most welcome and enhanced feature. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

One important question about the Windows phones - are they making it easy for developers to work with API's and SDK's for app development.  I have a number of apps that are Android, that are critical to my health care monitoring, and at this point they aren't on Windows - often they are only on apple, pain in the neck, I have never been an Apple fan, but most are available on both platforms.  They work fine, the Android apps, on my Q10, but as they begin to integrate with the play store, the Q10 does not support by default - although there are integration apps that have been developed, well tested and posted on Crackberry to get the full operating functionality when play store is required - they just spoof the app through a routine you run. It is kind of slick, but best to start from scratch, because it you then have to take all Android apps through the integration scripts by uninstalling and reinstalling them.  I have even found developers that would right a script right into their app to bypass the purchase on playstore, as long as you paid for it.

Any idea what Windows intends to do with this issue in terms of getting companies to write the Windows app too, although I am seeing a lot more of my apps on the Windows store and have been testing them on my Lenovo, ThinkPad Tablet - it can be used as desktop mode or tablet mode.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Microsoft has done more than anyone to make it easier for app development. See the UWP links earlier and read up, lots of good related article to read as well. No other OS currently has a universal platform across its applications. By developing the universal windows platform Microsoft has leveraged all Windows 10 applications and over 300 million users to make app development easier and much more enticing to authors. App development and options should move along and get better. The open question is how many new apps will come now and how long will it take. There is no way to know.

I don't "need" any apps that I don't have access to in WM10 so I'm fine with the user experience of WM10 phones. However, I would likely not buy a phone if it doesn't carry apps that I had to have, because I wouldn't trust or hope for those apps to become available quickly. Just some thoughts. 

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 5 in conversation