cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido phone on Rogers network?

Brad_JK
I plan to stick around

I know there is some connection between Fido and Rogers.

Can I put my Rogers sim card in a Fido phone and have it work with the Rogers network & account?

***edited labels***

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Fido phone on Rogers network?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

fido and rogers although owned by the same company, still own different IMSI numbers from Industry Canada, and post aquisition still kept the two imsis as is. fido phones will only acept a fido sim, rogers phones will only accept a rogers sim.

you can easily unlock the fido phone and then it will not only accept a rogers sim, but any other carriers sim too

evanleibovitch
I plan to stick around

On phone unlocking....

I have had very good experience with "Mobile In Canada" for unlocking (I have no relation to them other than as a satisfied customer).

All done by email/ecommerce. You pay and send the IMEI of your phone (sorta like its global GSM serial number) and they send back the appropriate unlocking code. $20 flat fee for Rogers and Fido phones.

I needed the unlocking (which worked perfectly on my Xperia X10) so that I could use SIM cards from other countries while traveling.

I happen to also believe that when the contract that subsidized your phone expires, your cellphone company should release the unlocking codes because you've repaid the subsidy through three years of billing. But none of the Canadian (or, for that matter, American) telcos are doing that. Rogers would score plenty of customer satisfaction points by doing this, IMO -- it's zero cost to them and customers aren't going to switch carriers just because they've unlocked their three-year-old phone (and can get a new subsidized one anywhere).

I understand the logic behind locking a phone for the duration of the contract. But there is no logic to refusing to unlock phones after the subsidy is repaid. That's just customer-hostile policy IMO, and all the mainstream carriers engage in it.

In any case... even when subsidized, it's your phone.

Unlocked
I plan to stick around

I believe T-Mobile will unlock your phone for free if you are a customer and you meet the eligibility criteria, this is what I've read from other posts (that it's at no charge, which touches on your point about having paid for the phone or part of it by using a minimum amount of services from the carrier). http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

SammyF
I'm here a lot

actually it does work without unlocking.  i did it with my samsug focus.  and ppl on other forums already know that Roger phones work on Fido without unlocking.  I think they tell us thta we must unlock our phones to do this is so it turns us off from buying off contract and then using fido for cheaper plans.  Cause if everyone did this, roger would lose a lot of money.

i recently made a post on another thread here talking about this.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Other_mobile_device/message-id/2...

And here's the source to prove that many ppl already know that  roger phones work on fido without unlocking.  Plus you save money too.  altho roger would be losing money...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=862022 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I had to unlock 3 of my Fido phones to work on Rogers.   I would not assume that just because one particular phone did not need it, its not a good idea to assume this for every other device. 

SammyF
I'm here a lot

Ok, maybe it's only the Samsung Focus then.  But all Samsung Focus will work with fido without unlocking.  I posted a link to another forum and everyone on that thread has the focus and use it with fido without unlocking.  The link is on my first reply, i beleive thats 2 posst above this.

Sorry about that.  However, I did ask Roger, and Fido, specifically about the Samsung Focus, and they did tell me that it won't work unless unlocked.  Maybe roger and fido employees should be informed about this so that future customers that wish to buy a samsung focus and use it on fido wont have to waste money to unlocked it. 

skybluebarbie
I plan to stick around

You can unlock your phone using unlock code. You can get the unlock code at very low cost. All the best mate.

**edited for content**

i have a chatter chip im trying to put in my lg365 phone and it seems to be locked can some one help me

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello angiewieler

That means the phone is locked to the carrier it was purchased on. Try seeing which carrier it was locked too.

need to unlock two roegrs and fido phones.

**edited for content**

rtsdhillon,

THese phones need to be on accounts (on the respective carriers) to be unlocked, and you need to contact the carriers directly, and they should be able to do it for you.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello rtsdhillon

Which carriers are the phone locked too? If the phones are attached to the carrier you are with, then you can ask them to unlock it for you with a min 90 days on the account.

You can always unlock the devices from sites, cellphone stores & fle markets.

Jewl
I've been around

Since Fido is owned by Rogers, how would they be losing money? 

kelvinyx
I've been around

YEA, it works. i have a fido galaxy A5 and it works on rogers. The only thing that you need to worry about is when putting the rogers sim card into the fido phone. The phone will automatically format and everytihng you had on your phone automatically goes poof! It works now though! YAY!!!

Rhazelwood
I've been here awhile

What if the phone is bran new and locked to Fido? Will Fido unlock it and allow me to use It on a Rogers sim?

my gf is with Fido and upgraded her phone from Samsung 8 to the iPhone 8+. She is going to keep the Samsung and give me the iPhone, yes it is bought from Fido but why wouldn’t it work. Gf is paying for it but I am using it. Just like my Rogers account, I originally got the S7 but cracked the screen so I bought a used S6, it worked. I know it was originally from Fido and it wasn’t unlocked. We already purchased the iPhone off the Fido site and it’s on its way. Please tell me this will work. I’m excited and want to go back to iPhone!!!!

Rhazelwood
I've been here awhile

NEW UPDATE

just put my Rogers sim into a locked Fido phone, it worked. Don’t know why I didn’t think about the before. Rogers sim does work with Fido phone

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 13 in conversation