Data Usage on Black berrt Z10 leading to Heavy Bill

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Data Usage on Black berrt Z10 leading to Heavy Bill

I am using a family Plan on Blackberry Z10 but i have seen that my Bill is outrageous based on my data usage. I only browse or BBM on Wifi and I am wondering why my bills are so high. Is anybody having the same issue. What could be causing this problem?

***edited labels***

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Data Usage on Black berrt Z10 leading to Heavy Bill

Is any member of the Community able to assist toksbalogun?

RogersDarrell

I'm a Trusted Contributor

i use Z10 on a daily basis and never experienced excessive usage charges which I deem unreasonable. What kind of family plan are you on? What is your data allowance?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello toksbalogun

Are you sure you do NOT have any open applications running in the background from the active frame? Also are you emails coming in on time or do you manually check them?

Like TeDD13 asked, what kind of family plan are you on & how much data do they offer you?
Rogers Employee grandpajim
Rogers Employee

The newer BB do not use the same high encryption and high compression the older BB did so data charges are likely to be higher. See below for more info.

There are many factors that can contribute to data overage on your bill.  Here are some tips on how to prevent data overage with almost any device:  Download the user guide to your computer. No one can decide your settings for you so take the time to review your settings.

• Wi-Fi: Turn off data to prevent the Rogers network having the stronger signal than WIFI. Use Wi-Fi whenever possible to help reduce your data charges. Note: Some apps require the security of the rogers network and will not work through WIFI.
  • Streaming: Media/Video streaming has a huge impact on your data usage. Limit what you are streaming on your device.  Another option is to turn off data and stream using a Wi-Fi connection. 

• Online Gaming: Playing game that requires a constant data connection (e.g. RPG, MMO, etc) can impact your data usage for the month. To determine if a game is using data Step 1 Turn off cell data but leave WIFI on  An error will tell you it is probably using Rogers data and will not work through WIFI. Step 2 Now turn off wifi and cell data. If you get an error the program is using data but will work through WIFI.  Recommended you turn off data and stream using a Wi-Fi connection if possible.

• Downloading Apps & updates: All programs do regular updates (usually while the phone is not in use) & some can be quite large. It is worth while to check settings for updates, some you can change others you cannot but it is worth taking the time to find out. Also if you like to download Apps a lot, then this can contribute to data overage as well. You can try downloading/updating your Apps via Wi-Fi (with data turned off) or through your computer & appropriate desktop program.

• Apps that use data; There are many Apps that use data to update their programming, or update current information. Be careful to read the stipulations of the any Apps you download. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and others frequently update posts while the amounts may be small they can add up especially posts that include pictures or other media files. Read and change notification settings (time consuming but worth it)  for the above programs to reduce the amount of posts or funny pictures sent to your phone via these programs. They use data even if you don't view them. No one can decide your settings for you so take the time to review your notification settings.

• Programs running in the background: Most devices allow you to turn off the applications running in the background.  You can shut these applications down in settings usually found in "Running programs".

• Turn off GPS: GPS is a very useful tool to have on your Smartphone. GPS uses a huge amount of battery life . It is always advisable to turn this off when not in use. GPS also uses up a huge amount of data if use wireless networks is enabled and when downloading maps for a new location or during an update. Option 1 turn GPS off. Option 2  Turn off use wireless networks (WIFI & cell towers)

• Tethering (Personal Hotspot): This feature allows you to share your Android cellular data connection with other devices. (e.g. Computer, Tablets, etc.) Limiting your use of tethering can help to prevent data overage.
I've Been Here Awhile

We have a family plan and for the first time this month we were charged $75  of overage on the Z10. It's never happened before