Data Usage Overage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Data Usage Overage

Hi,

My billing period ends on the 18th of the month. 

Today my usage is 23 MB over my 150 MB limit.

I use a BlackBerry Q10 since 2013 and typically I never exceed 75 MB per month.

(My Jan 18th bill shows 74.93 MB)

The majority of usage is via Wi-Fi.

There has not been any new apps or downloads.

Can anyone help me understand why my usage suddenly shows an overage

and still 7 more days until my billing cycle ends.

Thanks!

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Re: Data Usage Overage

Welcome to the forums @HarvMan  🙂

Unfortunately Blackberry devices don’t have a built in data counter Smiley Sad. Unlike other platforms such as Apple/Android which have a feature built into the operating systems that lets you track your data usage by showing what apps are consuming the data. The Blackberry OS does not have this feature so there isn't really a way to pin point exactly caused the overages we would basically have to make some guesses on what could have caused the overages. If you do a google search on "blackberry q10 data usage counter" you will see some 3rd party apps that let you track usage on Blackberry 10 devices but it seems like they are all paid apps no free ones with this feature.

Edit: Blackberry 10.3 OS Upgrade should include this feature.Spoke to someone who has the version and he confirmed that this feature was within the Device OS.

In terms of possible causes for data overages I'll list some possible causes and maybe that will help you back track on what exactly happened.

1. Application running in the background and consuming data while you are unaware of it(This is pretty broad and can vary)
  2. Doing something on WIFI like watching a YouTube video/streaming or browsing with Cellular Data still on (The Wi-Fi connection can drop and the device will automatically jump on Data network and sometimes people are unaware of this. Some people shut off cellular data while connected to wifi so they can avoid this and be extra safe incase their Wi-Fi connection drops without their knowledge.

Comment below with how things are going and remember to accept as solution if you feel like this response was helpful.Smiley Happy

RogersAsif

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you clarify the overage for me.  Is that from your internet billing, where you are using your Blackberry via the Rogers modem wifi, or is that a Blackberry overage which is a cellular data limit?

I Plan to Stick Around

Blackberry overage which is a cellular data limit.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have analyzed Device Monitor activity for the last 48 hours.

"Mobile Usage" for:

- BBM which I must use is download 205.5 kb, upload 150 kb

- Connect to Dropbox is download 255.4, upload 94.8 kb (I have turned off this app)

- Browser is download 751.6 kb, upload 59.3 kb

Remaining activity is negligable!!

Retired Moderator

@HarvMan 

I remember hearing about Device Monitor blackberry recently added this feature. From what I heard it doesn't have a full out data usage monitor but I don’t have a blackberry 10 device, android/iPhone guy…. So it doesn’t show any more information on mobile data usage other than the last 48 hours?

I Plan to Stick Around

That is correct ... see image link below.

http://www.pcinnovation.ca/tmp/IMG_20150211_195829.png

Retired Moderator

@HarvMan 

Was just talking with a friend who has a version of Blackberry OS 10.3 and he showed me  a full out data usage monitor within in the device OS. For future scenarios that’s going to be great! Refer to http://communityforums.rogers.com/html/assets/OsUpgrade.html for the schedule!

I Plan to Stick Around

Kuul. 🐵
I've Been Around

How do I get my data overage numbers

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation