Corby Plus -- transferring photos from phone to PC via USB cable -- is it possible?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Corby Plus -- transferring photos from phone to PC via USB cable -- is it possible?

Has anyone with a Corby Plus GT-B3410R actually found and used a USB cable to connect from the phone to a PC to transfer photos from the added microSD card?  If you have, what cable and where did you get it?

Last week I posted related questions in two older, existing threads ("How can I upload images of sporting event I wish to share with other members of the team?" and "can i buy a usb connector for my new corby plus?") in the "Other Mobile Devices" forum, and had some response. However, I thought I should consolidate here in the Samsung forum with further info and questions. 

Based on what I learned, to have the photos taken by the camera readily accessible, I have to use the additional microSD card in the memory slot under the battery, and set the camera to default to the added memory.  (menu/settings/memory management/default memory/camera/memory card).

With this arrangement, the memory card can be removed, installed in a memory card reader connected to a computer, and transferred to the PC. However, to do this, the phone battery has to be removed, and the memory card released from the slot and removed.

Some Samsung phones have the capability of accessing the SD memory card via a USB cable. My phone didn't come with a USB cable. I called Samsung, and was told that to transfer photos directly, I had to use the memory card (done) and an accessory USB cable, which would access the card only, not the rest of the phone. However, the Samsung rep. could not find a part/model number for the USB cable that would do this, and directed me to wirelessgalaxy.com, apparently an authorized Samsung accessory dealer.

wirelessgalaxy.com lists a SBH-M300 cable for the B3410. However, while the title for it includes "data", its description does not refer to accessing the microSD card in the phone -- only charging, and using the phone as an external modem! I e-mailed wirelessgalaxy.com for clarification, but haven't had a response.

Also, according to the wirelessgalaxy site, the oem cable part number is APCBS10UBEBSTD, but I haven't found it on the Samsung website or elsewhere.

I searched the community forums here.  There are some posts about transferring photos, but none are specific to the 3410 or identify the cable.

So, to repeat, has anyone with a Corby Plus actually found and used a USB cable to connect from the phone to a PC to transfer photos from the microSD card?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Around

Re: Corby Plus -- transferring photos from phone to PC via USB cable -- is it possible?

Hi, this cable works OK for me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-USB-Data-Cable-Rogers-Samsung-Corby-PLUS-B3410R-/220709646428?pt=PDA_Accesso.... The cable also trickle charges the battery when it's plugged in.

You shouldn't need any software to use it, Windows will load the right USB driver first time you plug in your Corby. Select "Mass Storage" as the connection type when the phone prompts you to make a choice after you plug the USB cable into the Corby.

The seller "winniecellshop" appears to have more available for sale. Service was good, and the price was right - $6.47 with tax and shipping! In fact, I may order a second one to keep with the office PC.

After some searching around on the Samsung website I managed to find the PC Studio download, but I found most of the features aren't useful for the Corby. PC Studio appears to be aimed at smartphones like the Galaxy, not "feature" phones like the Corby Plus. 

I also managed to get a Bluetooth file transfer connection to work with my Windows XP home system, but the USB cable is much easier to manage than Bluetooth. Couldn't get bluetooth working with my work PC, but that may be due to IT department policy restrictions on the system.

I had the same unpleasant surprise that there was no cable and no indication whether a cable would work at all when I bought my Corby, so I hope this gives you some confidence to try a USB cable. 

Regards,

Philip

I'm Here A Lot

Re: Corby Plus -- transferring photos from phone to PC via USB cable -- is it possible?

Thanks Philip

That's very encouraging.  And thanks for the link to the Rogers Corby Plus B3410R-specific cables.  I'm going to follow up on getting one and will post again in this thread when it's in.

p.s. When the cable is connected, is it the phone, or the computer, that will have the "Mass Storage" selection?

("Select "Mass Storage" as the connection type when the phone prompts you to make a choice after you plug the USB cable into the Corby.")

Also, does the phone have to be "On" for the computer to access the microSD?

I'm Here A Lot

Cable arrived, and it works Smiley Happy 

The phone has to be on.  When connected to the computer, the phone screen will open up a selection for either "PC Studio" or "Mass Storage".  Selecting "Mass Storage", the phone then initiates a connection with the computer.

At first it didn't seem to work -- the phone screen kept showing "connecting to computer", while Windows seemed to search for a driver, but supposedly failed, and so I started over.  This time, shortly after "connecting to computer" appeared, the standard Windows pop-up screen came up on the computer monitor to select what to do with the files, and it was fine from there.  (However, the "connecting to computer" screen on the phone remained as before so this, apparently, is not a problem.) 

Also, when a connection is made, in my case two drives are identified, D and E.  D is the microSD card I had installed, and E is the phone's own storage.  I had some photos stored on the SD card, and initially none on the phone memory.  After I reset the default storage for the camera back to the internal memory, and took a picture, when I connected the USB cable, I could then access the photos on both storage media. 

As it turns out, it appears that the additional microSD card is not really necessary, other than to provide storage space for a lot more photos.  (There's room for about 30+ photos on the internal memory.)   When I took the microSD card out and reconnected to the computer, only the one storage showed up on the PC (again, as "E").

Finally, Windows finds all the files in the storage media.  The phone had the default "Beyond" Samsung music in the music storage area, so there was also an option to transfer or play the music. 

This is so much more than the Instruction Manual implies is available.  I'm glad I found this community forum, and appreciate the responses that resolved the issue.  I hope others with the same phone will find this thread and gain the same satisfaction.

edit:  The computer OS is XP (III)

Happy holidays, and all the best in the new year.

I've Been Around

Hi there- I have the same phone. When I purchased it I bought a Lexar high speed Mobile MicroSDHC Performance Kit which came with a microcard and the adapter to plug into a USB port. The software to transfer data to and from the computer and phone is on the microcard. Otherwise, I was told there was no easy way to put transfer stuff back and forth  on the phone.

I've Been Around

Connect the phone via usb cable (the one you use to charge it more than likely). On the phone itself you can go into settings and for usb connection set it to "storage". You also will likely get a dialog box pop up when you plug it in asking you what you want to do with the files. Don't sync. Choose open folders with Windows Explorer. The phone will be mounted as a lettered drive. You can go into Computer find the phone/drive and browse the files like a hard drive. Pictures are usually in a folder called DCIM. You can also just do a search on the drive for any and all .jpg files and that will lead you to the pictures. Copy and paste them onto the laptop hard drive. The screen shots below show how I get to the pictures on my Android phone. This is Windows 7 but the idea is the same. Do not choose the option to sync. Just go to the drive letter assigned to the phone. There may also be pictures on the storage card and you can browse to those as well. In my case the pictures are in the DCIM/MEDIA100 folder in the main phone storage. 

You can also follow this guide: How to Transfer Photos from Android to Computer

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation