Can't seem to purchase Data Pass

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Can't seem to purchase Data Pass

I called Rogers technical support about this, and while they were very polite they were also very clueless.

I have an old BlackBerry Bold 9780.  I have no regular data plan, but on rare occasions in the past I have purchased a 24-hour Data Pass, which has worked well for my limited temporary data needs.  The last time I did so was in late November of last year (2014).

So yesterday I again tried to purchase a one-day Data Pass by texting "YES" to 3282.  I quickly received a reply with a link to purchase the pass.  However, when I click on the link I get a message saying: "Browsing over the cellular network is not included as part of your current service plan. To browse the web you must use Wi-Fi or contact your service provider to change your service plan."

If I connect to a Wi-Fi router and try to access the link, I get an "HTTP Status 404" error saying "the requested resource is not available."

The tech support rep said perhaps something has changed on the Rogers network regarding older BlackBerrys and Data Passes, but he was unaware of the specifics.  He said all he could do was sell me a monthly data plan, which I certainly do not want (I can't afford it).

Nothing of substance has changed on my BlackBerry since I last used a Data Pass three months ago.  Surely there is a solution for this that the tech support rep was unaware of.

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersMichaelB
Retired Moderator

Re: Can't seem to purchase Data Pass

Hi @crisanda sorry to hear about your issue with the Data Pass.

I’d like to help. I’m going to have someone reach out to you in Private Message, please check our Messages from the Envelope icon in the top right hand side of your screen.

Thanks!

RogersMichaelB

I Plan to Stick Around

I appreciate the offer to help.  I'm not a pay as you go customer; I have had my rogers account since 2007.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm sorry if I freaked out; I'm extremely sensitive to fishing attempts for personal data.  I now see that you provided a link to a second much more reasonable form that required only my name, postal code, Rogers account name and the phone number of my device.  I provided all of these.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having an issue trying to purchase data as well.   I used to have  the link saved in my bookmarks on my Blackberry Z10, but I had to reset it and lost the link. I tried texting YES to 3282, but the link that it provides keeps coming back and says "Error - The network is unavailable.  Please try again later".    I really don't need a monthly data plan, as my phone is connected to WiFi most of the time.    

Please help!

I've Been Here Awhile

This is the link that you we were looking for. For some reason, they don't send this to Blackberrys. http://rogers-fido.mobi:8080/primary/daypass_page?brand=Rogers&dtype=BBM&itype=i&atype=PSPD
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the suggestion, but I still continue to get the message "Browsing over the cellular network is not included as part of your current service plan...".

Rogers claims to be working on the issue, but after 10 days I still have no resolution.  I'm continuing to investigate on my own.  My current suspicion is that there is an error in one of my Service Books.  I'm going to try backing up, clearing and refreshing the Service Book database.

It's interesting that my wife has an only slightly older and very similar BlackBerry Bold 9700 (mine is a 9780), and she is able to purchase a Data Pass without problem.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I suppose the problem can be considered solved, although I hesitate in calling the workaround a true solution.

At Rogers' request, I swapped the SIMs between my wife's almost identical BlackBerry 9700 and my BlackBerry 9780.  I was unable to purchase a Data Pass with her SIM in my phone, but I was able to purchase a Data Pass with my SIM in her phone.  Then I swapped the SIMs back to their original phones, and this time I was able to access data on my phone.

That seems a particularly inelegant way of dealing with the issue, and I am always uncomfortable when I cannot discover the true source of the problem, which should never have occurred in the first place.  But I am forced to admit that at this time for me the issue is now moot.