Buying a Lumia 640 XL

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Buying a Lumia 640 XL

Now that the 950's are out (too pricey for me),  I am taking a harder looked at the 640XL.  I am still using  older phones with 4.5" screens  (HTC 8X and Samsung Core LTE), so this would be a nice improvement over my existing phones. 

I see  the 640XL is available unlocked at the Microsoft store for $290, which is not bad, but curious if others have spotted them elsewhere for less.

Re: Buying a Lumia 640 XL

Hmmmm, I see one at expansys.ca at about the same price (once  delivered) but why does it indicate no LTE??

Ref: http://www.expansys.ca/microsoft-lumia-640-xl-smartphone-rm-1067-black-dual-sim-279136/

Is there actually two versions?? ! I'd a 640  XL and a 640 XL LTE??

Which one is the  Microsoft.ca selling??

Ref:  http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-640-XL---Unlocked-White/productID...

@Mediaman

would you consider a Lumia 930 or 1520? Still decent devices with specs that could easily run Windows 10. Or still a bit expensive for you?

@brandonjbarnard -  The 640XL was more appealing (to me) based on:

-price

-availablilty at MS store

-SD card

-large and removable battery

-screen size

-etc.

I see price is back up a tad, so I will wait the next sale. Haven't even held the unit yet.

My old android phone, which I have been using for the last month just as a test, was ok, but is now redeployed as wireless remote. A windows phone seems to best for me for everyday use. I have re-arranged/regrouped the tiles so its visuualy much easier to see then earlier. I am sticking with my low monthly Rogers rate (@35/mo on the shared plan). Intent  now is to pick up an unlocked WinPhone when the price is right - perhaps near year-end.

@Mediaman

Yeah I don't blame you, the Lumia 930 and 1520 are still more expensive than a 640. Have you thought of any of the "Blu Win" phones?

I just found this on www.expansys.ca
http://www.expansys.ca/nokia-lumia-1520-rm-940-att-unlocked-yellow-generic-box-b-stock-280650/ - $244 for a Lumia 1520 is a decent price. Doesn't have the removable battery or SD card slot though. Cheaper than the 640XL which is funny.

I finally made the switch to Android beginning of November when the Nexus 6P was released. I do miss windows phone, but I must admit this Nexus running stock Android is running amazingly well. Still have my Lumia 920 that I use occasionally.

Finally bought the unlocked 640XL from Microsoft.. Waited for the Boxing Day price, which was $249. Not gonna find a better value than that, especially when coupled with my $35/mo shared plan. 

Regardless of what the future holds for Windows Phone, this is a small investment, which will serve me well for at least two years, and likely much longer. Major upgrade from the hand-me-down and I have managing with to date. I have been waiting long enough and it was time. 

And I still get to enjoy the Windows Phone experience !

Rogers Employee EhmTeeEhf
Rogers Employee

The 640XL does support LTE but i believe the models posted do support LTE, in the settings menu go to Mobile and Sim and then look at the Dropdown box called "Highest Connection Speed" it allows you to select 3G/4G/LTE

Its a fantastic phone, and with its new 279 dollar price direct from the Microsoft Store Online Canada for christmas its a fantastic deal.

Also alot of people were wondering why we were not offering the new windows phone, I think a mod can help with that, but as i see it you can buy it direct from their canadian web store with free shipping, and it comes unlocked. Just get your BYOD account setup and then take the sim, put it into the phone and Voila your cooking Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

Rogers Employee

The 640XL in canada does support LTE, I have one working right now. Also the 640XL LTE is a dual sim version allowing slot one for 2G/3G and Slot 2 3G/4G/LTE. I oriinally was going to buy that dual sim version, but it was not available at the time.

What i would do instead of going to a US dealer you cannot guarantee their models work properly in Canada, is go to the microsoft canadian web store, and get it through there, plus the prices are in canadian dollars.

Buying through a US website will probably cost more with duty and shipping

Just a thought

Hope this helps!

Highlighted

Re: Buying a Lumia 640 XL LTE

Just got the FedEx delivery this morning and am setting it up now.

Absolutlely thrilled with every aspect of this  phone -  display size, build quality, aesthetics, screen clariity, camera, battery , SD card, useability, price. Tremendous value at $249 unlocked from the Microsoft Canada store. Easily my best phone to date.

For those concerened about LTE, it defenitely is LTE. The box clearly says 640XL LTE., and it automatically recognizes Rogers and LTE service. The model is RM-1064, which to my understanding is "Microsoft Lumia 640 XL LTE Single SIM - Global"

Rogers Employee

Re: Buying a Lumia 640 XL LTE

Battery life on this phone is beast. I Drained mine this week, dead then recharged it and let it sit and got a whopping 9 days 14 hours before i got to 20%. Now that is power