cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry priv marshmallow update?

Woodypower
I'm here a lot

Just wondering if anyone has received the android 6.0 update for their Blackberry Priv? My new Rogers Priv is on 5.1.1 and the phone will not find a later update when I search. Yet the upgrade schedule on this website says that 6.0.1 is the currently supported version. Any thoughts?

*Edited Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Blackberry priv marshmallow update?

Hey guys,

Looks like the issue is resolved. On Monday morning, I got a notification that there was an update available, and it was Marshmallow! Big download too. I'm not sure why it look 3 weeks of running the device for the update to show up, and Rogers can't tell me either.

There are some nice changes with the update. The phone doesn't seem to heat up nearly as badly as before, and battery life is better too.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Woodypower

My sister got the Priv on launch day and got the update when it was released. The update has reached many as well. It can take a while to get Hehe update when u just got the device.

Hmmm... I've had the phone for a week and a half now, and still nothing. My buddy has a rogers blackberry dtek50 and it has the update. Any priv owners out there that can check their software version?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Woodypower

Most users have the new update or else it would have been reported on the original thread that was made for this updatet on the Priv.

Have you done a factory reset on the device to see if that will bring it?

HarvMan
I plan to stick around

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @HarvOne

Unfortunately that isn't helpful in this situation as the OP stated that they already seen the OS Upgrade Schedule Thread and know about the latest update. The OP is asking why his device as not gotten ut

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Search Google and crackberry forums, that may help.  This is the official instructions from BB

http://ca.blackberry.com/software/smartphones/update/android-os.html

Bruce

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @BS

The OP already said they went into the settings and checked but shows that it's up to date.

Exactly same way u posted above in the link. Unfortunately there is no way of getting the update unless you root the device and get the software that way or wait until the device gets the update.

Thanks for the input. I might try the factory reset. What can I do to avoid losing my photos and having to set up all my settings; emails accounts; and apps again?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Woodypower

Unfortunately even if you back up the device, you wilL still need to redownload all the apps. Follow the link below for more information.

https://help.blackberry.com/en/priv/5.1/help/mwa1436901775432.html

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Good point - I keep forgetting that Priv is Android - BB 10 and earlier versions were very easy to handle with these issues.  Just reload the software from BB desktop - so simple and straight forward.

You are probably right, may have to root, completely reinstall and start over again.

Don't know if he has a factory reset, but if not would try that first.

Post to crackberry or search crackberry - that is the key source for any questions BB.

Hope it works out, Bruce

kevinrbourne
I've been around

I'm having the same problem. My phone isn't showing there's an update. Still showing 5.1.1. as the latest update.

I picked up the phone a few weeks ago and asked Roger's via chat about the OS. Was told that the stopped the roll out due to issues with the android OS. Downloaded the OS 6.0.1 from blackberry servers and unfortunately it did wipe my phone. Hope this helps 

Wow, your experience with Rogers help via live chat was better than mine. I wonder if they really did stop the rollout.

The first Rogers rep I talked to told me to hook the phone up to Blackberry Link and try the update through my computer - which you cant.

The second rep told me that the update wasn't available anywhere and the website showing 6.0.1 was wrong.

It's pathetic that you can't get good support from a company anymore, and they have to open support forums like these where other paying customers are expected to help sort out your issues.

I usually don't get any where either , they answer the question with a question I just keep repeating the question. I don't have time for stupid and I hate being treated this way. Rogers needs to educate their staff a little bit better. Check Crack berry.com for answers there is more information on that site than this.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

These instructions from Crackberry haven't been referred to as of yet - you may want to give it a try -  If the device is less than a year old, maybe consider warrenty service before doing too many things on your own, as your warrenty is at risk.

I would call myself a very skilled Blackberry User pre android, and unfortunately, I cannot talk to Android on BB, or even on an Android - I am now using a LGG3 passed to by my daughter.

I really do prefer the BB as I am a communications user from the business side of things, and I have been using the PIM model first found in the Palm, then developed so well on the BB.

But my Q10 had a lot of bugs in it that I had to work around, so I made the decision to move on.

But having said all that, I now begin to explore Android.  I found this link describing how to reload the operating for the Priv and the other Android versions now out - http://crackberry.com/how-to-reload-the-os-on-your-blackberry-priv.

As for the comments on support, I agree with you totally.  I look at this post and I see that support has told you that the download was stopped due to issues (if so, why is the page with the current builds not up to date and reference made to this fact, since this would be the first place that people would typically go when it comes to current builds from Rogers for phone devices).

You have been suggested to factory reset, and a number of other messages.  You begin to wonder just who to believe and you are left risking bricking your device if you go with too much try this, try that.  I know none of us ever want to send our phones out for warrenty support, but at what point does Rogers techs say, it needs to go for warrenty support if it is still under warrenty, or we consider paying for it if it appears that no one has a clear answer.

We often get a lot of guessing - the suggestions I have made based upon my search, and not necessarily full understanding of the question, as I don't work with Priv.

Are there any well experienced Priv users out there who have a solid understanding of the product?  If there are, maybe they can get involved in the forum.

I wish you luck on solving your problems with your devices the two of you and others who may have it arise, but I relate to your frustration of the mixed messages and what appears to be guessing and contradictions or failure of communication/training to get to tech support people who just want to get their device fixed.

Unfortunately, this issue of tech support and mixed messages is present in many areas of support across most all services at the moment.  I would hope that the new CEO is getting the information about this significant concern for customers - if we can't trust what we here from support, what are we supposed to do - if they can't develop a reliable tech support model, then consider just being a reseller of the device and pay for support directly from the providers instead, and stick to just the configuration of the devices for running on their networks, and simple instructional support, not the trouble shooting.

Just my own opinion, take it for what it is, just an opinion.

Good luck people, Bruce

Lohan
I'm here a lot

Hi Rogers, 

Could you please release the November and December security patchers for Marshmallow on Priv? 

It's been officially released by the OEM more than a month ago.

Cheers,

Lohan

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Lohan

As per the OS Upgrade Schedule Thread it shows its been out which includes security u update. My sister just got hers an hour ago.

It could take some time for everyone to get the update.

Hey guys,

Looks like the issue is resolved. On Monday morning, I got a notification that there was an update available, and it was Marshmallow! Big download too. I'm not sure why it look 3 weeks of running the device for the update to show up, and Rogers can't tell me either.

There are some nice changes with the update. The phone doesn't seem to heat up nearly as badly as before, and battery life is better too.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Woodypower

Glad to hear!!!:)

Davidwr
I plan to stick around

I just got my priv a few weeks ago and have yet to see an update. Took phone to where I got it and they reset it. Still no updates. Called Rogers got a runaround telling me it's not Rogers who provides updated. Called blackberry and they said its Rogers who allows updated. I'm still on original android no security patches. I'm . off. Really upset. Almost ready to cancel my contact and go elsewhere. Thanks Rogers.

Topic Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 in conversation