Blackberry Motion

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Blackberry Motion

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. All blackberry motions were delivered to carriers factory unlocked! No need to wait until December 1. This was confirmed by myself at the Blackberry Motion release party in Toronto on November 8th. Doesn’t make a lot of sense any other way. Why would device manufacturers send out devices to canadian carriers this month knowing that they would have to unlock them on December 1. Who wants that administrative nightmare.

Nonetheless, good to see some blackberry love going on here and continued pressure you loyal blackberry supporters to get this device out there.

FYI I have no affiliation with blackberry mobile, simply a fan that was fortunate enough to receive an invite to the release party. I am also a long time Rogers customer since the Cantel days that’s extremely disappointed that Rogers is not supporting this turn around by an iconic Canadian Tech Brand. And to answer the question posted earlier. YES the KEYOne was the most blackberry reservation in Rogers history.
I Plan to Stick Around

Dtek 60 was not sold by any carriers and was nothing less than a test run for blackberry mobile with respect to the licensing agreement with BlackBerry. It was sold via BlackBerry directly and a few places like staples in Canada
I Plan to Stick Around

Well my plan was to buy 4 of them. But Telus, or Bell won't sell them to me outright unless I take service with them which also bothers me. So given that I will look at purchasing them directly from BlackBerry Mobile when they are available through them in a couple weeks and taking my business elsewhere. There are options although limited based on the lack of competition in Canada. Fortunately I have options, others may not. For those who haven't had their hands on this device it is rock solid. Super crazy battery life. Just a work horse. Fortunately I've had the opportunity to use it for several hours. It was shame I had to hand it back.
I've Been Here Awhile

Strange....I bought mine from Telus without any plan.
I Plan to Stick Around

You get different answers depending where you go. Some will not sell it to you at all. Some want to sell you a service with no contract that will cost you an extra hundred dollars over the cost of the phone. You would then have to cancel the service with the month. I purchased a passport 3 years back from Telus. They just insisted I bought a SIM card! I would be fine with that.

Personally at this point I would rather just give BlackBerry Mobile my money.

Although I expect different answers when I go into Carrier store. A lot of these front line staff are really not trained / educated. They will tend to try and sell you whatever they use. It's the only thing they have experience with.
I'm a Senior Advisor

My experience in our family with different companies, since we often buy phones outright, is that they all require you to take on a plan to buy it from them - this lies in the old "locked phone model", which is still in place until tomorrow - who knows what will happen.  In the past, most companies wouldn't let you unlock your phone until 90 days after activation so that "you can fully experience the features of their network".  This would be true these days as all the networks now support some phone features while not others on phones purchased outside their networks, for things like Google rich text communications, or WI Fi calling.

Tomorrow all the rules change, but we may still see that you may not get the full feature set if not bought through them, and it still doesn't stop them from saying you can only buy a phone with a plan, even if no term, and yes, now that it is unlocked, you could walk away the next day - There is no 30 day notice to cancel plans anymore as ordered by CRTC, so you could buy the phone on no term price and then cancel - the past practice was you couldn't unlock a plan phone for 90 days, but you were allowed to (under CRTC) to unlock immediately (if I recall correctly) - it is all moot tomorrow, and who knows what fine print will be in place that slips through the rules, then we appeal to CRTC and get it changed again to clarify in our favour.

And yes, there are many reps in all companies who really don't have a high level of training - I compare it to my call today to my bank about a program with a third party company - she knew exactly the details of the program, the flaws that were causing problems, and new exactly how we had to approach it and offered to help us to work through it because as she said "it is confusing for all and that is what we are here for to guide you through the confusion"  and the problem was not even created by the bank, but the partner company registration process, yet she spent no time blaming them or anyone else, just accepted her responsibility to help with a service that they are part of.

Now wouldn't that be a surprise if we consistently got that from CSR's.  Never have I received two different answers from my bank and when they don't know, they don't guess, they say they will get back to you or direct us to the appropriate person.

So in summary - wait until tomorrow until we see what the companies decide to do with the unlock ruling and do remind them plans do not need 30 days to make notification.

Ahh, telecom companies of all names - little competition.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Well it's now December 4th.....no news.. guess I will purchase the phone elsewhere.  But should I leave Rogers to make sure I can get all the features the phone can handle?????

I Plan to Stick Around

Actually, I don't think it matters where you get the phone from, as I don't think any of the major 3 support wifi calling on anything but istoleyourmoney and sammysung (if they do even support any of the android phones - I have listed off in a previous message what Roger's supports). Some of the networks only support wifi calling on istoleyourmoney....

I DID get my Blackberry Motion during one of the BlackFriday events. So far, liking it, there is a learning curve to android - some things that seem logical on BB10 are just so far behind on Android. But, I promised myself I would NEVER go and get an istoleyourmoney phone, been boycotting Sapple since the Apple II days.

I Plan to Stick Around

It would be nice if they even kept up with the security patches for the keyone. It's now December and Rogers devices are sitting on the October Security Patch. November was released to them on November 8th. They claim the have to test it but the rest of the world has been using it for a minimum of 2 weeks. I'm so done. Bought two unlocked motions...buying two more and looking g for a new carrier
I've Been Here Awhile

Where did you end up getting the device? I went to Bell a couple days ago and it looks like that might be a viable option for me.  Might be a bit of pain to start, but will probably be worth it in the long run. So tired of Rogers and not just because of their lack of Blackberry support.