cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Motion

JerryY
I plan to stick around

Will Rogers carry the BlackBerry Motion?  If so, is there a time frame?

***Edited Labels***

74 REPLIES 74

Re: Blackberry Motion

Vybe
I plan to stick around
Well my plan was to buy 4 of them. But Telus, or Bell won't sell them to me outright unless I take service with them which also bothers me. So given that I will look at purchasing them directly from BlackBerry Mobile when they are available through them in a couple weeks and taking my business elsewhere. There are options although limited based on the lack of competition in Canada. Fortunately I have options, others may not. For those who haven't had their hands on this device it is rock solid. Super crazy battery life. Just a work horse. Fortunately I've had the opportunity to use it for several hours. It was shame I had to hand it back.

p_d_a
I've been here awhile
Strange....I bought mine from Telus without any plan.

Vybe
I plan to stick around
You get different answers depending where you go. Some will not sell it to you at all. Some want to sell you a service with no contract that will cost you an extra hundred dollars over the cost of the phone. You would then have to cancel the service with the month. I purchased a passport 3 years back from Telus. They just insisted I bought a SIM card! I would be fine with that.

Personally at this point I would rather just give BlackBerry Mobile my money.

Although I expect different answers when I go into Carrier store. A lot of these front line staff are really not trained / educated. They will tend to try and sell you whatever they use. It's the only thing they have experience with.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

My experience in our family with different companies, since we often buy phones outright, is that they all require you to take on a plan to buy it from them - this lies in the old "locked phone model", which is still in place until tomorrow - who knows what will happen.  In the past, most companies wouldn't let you unlock your phone until 90 days after activation so that "you can fully experience the features of their network".  This would be true these days as all the networks now support some phone features while not others on phones purchased outside their networks, for things like Google rich text communications, or WI Fi calling.

Tomorrow all the rules change, but we may still see that you may not get the full feature set if not bought through them, and it still doesn't stop them from saying you can only buy a phone with a plan, even if no term, and yes, now that it is unlocked, you could walk away the next day - There is no 30 day notice to cancel plans anymore as ordered by CRTC, so you could buy the phone on no term price and then cancel - the past practice was you couldn't unlock a plan phone for 90 days, but you were allowed to (under CRTC) to unlock immediately (if I recall correctly) - it is all moot tomorrow, and who knows what fine print will be in place that slips through the rules, then we appeal to CRTC and get it changed again to clarify in our favour.

And yes, there are many reps in all companies who really don't have a high level of training - I compare it to my call today to my bank about a program with a third party company - she knew exactly the details of the program, the flaws that were causing problems, and new exactly how we had to approach it and offered to help us to work through it because as she said "it is confusing for all and that is what we are here for to guide you through the confusion"  and the problem was not even created by the bank, but the partner company registration process, yet she spent no time blaming them or anyone else, just accepted her responsibility to help with a service that they are part of.

Now wouldn't that be a surprise if we consistently got that from CSR's.  Never have I received two different answers from my bank and when they don't know, they don't guess, they say they will get back to you or direct us to the appropriate person.

So in summary - wait until tomorrow until we see what the companies decide to do with the unlock ruling and do remind them plans do not need 30 days to make notification.

Ahh, telecom companies of all names - little competition.

Bruce

Ikachr
I've been here awhile

Well it's now December 4th.....no news.. guess I will purchase the phone elsewhere.  But should I leave Rogers to make sure I can get all the features the phone can handle?????

JerryY
I plan to stick around

Actually, I don't think it matters where you get the phone from, as I don't think any of the major 3 support wifi calling on anything but istoleyourmoney and sammysung (if they do even support any of the android phones - I have listed off in a previous message what Roger's supports). Some of the networks only support wifi calling on istoleyourmoney....

I DID get my Blackberry Motion during one of the BlackFriday events. So far, liking it, there is a learning curve to android - some things that seem logical on BB10 are just so far behind on Android. But, I promised myself I would NEVER go and get an istoleyourmoney phone, been boycotting Sapple since the Apple II days.

Vybe
I plan to stick around
It would be nice if they even kept up with the security patches for the keyone. It's now December and Rogers devices are sitting on the October Security Patch. November was released to them on November 8th. They claim the have to test it but the rest of the world has been using it for a minimum of 2 weeks. I'm so done. Bought two unlocked motions...buying two more and looking g for a new carrier

TheTick
I've been here awhile

Where did you end up getting the device? I went to Bell a couple days ago and it looks like that might be a viable option for me.  Might be a bit of pain to start, but will probably be worth it in the long run. So tired of Rogers and not just because of their lack of Blackberry support.

Vybe
I plan to stick around
Pdaplaza on line

bosco32
I've been here awhile

I called Rogers about the Motion.  At first, she said she never heard of it.  Then after going to ask someone, she came back and said that Rogers will not be offering any more new Blackberry's.  Very dissapointing. 

So I went to Bell, They said they would not sell it unless I purchased a monthly plan...no pay as you go.  I went to Koodo and Telus and they had the same answer...only online.  All 3 offered me $$$ to pay to move to them. 

I ended up going to the Telus Website and ordered the BLACKBERRY MOTION with no plan and free shipping.  It says my order is recieved and it ship in 5-7 days.   Here's hoping they have better service than Rogers!!

Rogers...  I spend up to $600 a month for our services.  that is over $72,000 over the past 10 years...and you won't order me a $600 phone!!!  No wonder Bell and Telus are willing to pay me to move!!

Ikachr
I've been here awhile

i have a phone replacement plan with Staples.  My current Priv is damaged and I could get a replacement phone up to $700.  I have been calling and emailing them to see if they will be carrying the Motion  online or in stores.  No one knows......WAITING...but for how long

Altagd
I've been here awhile

Not exactly true. I just bought a BB Motion from Telus, and it was locked and had to get the unlock code from them. The process to buy and get it unlocked was easy and fast. Unlike dealing with Bell who would only offer the phone with a plan. Even if you are an existing Bell customer. Bell basically holds you hostage unless you pay.

Altagd
I've been here awhile
Me too. You can do it online or from a Telus store, if you are able to find any that stock it. $605 plus taxes.

Altagd
I've been here awhile
You can go online with Telus or at a Telus store if you can find any that stock it. $605 plus taxes. I got mine this week. Nice phone!

JaySilva77
I've been here awhile
Hi. What functionality are you referring to specifically? (I thought my quoted post would be visible here, but I don't see it. I'm referring to getting this phone and staying with rogers. What drawbacks, specifically, might I experience?)
I'm actually on my way to purchase this phone in a few hours, so hopefully you or someone else sees this before then.
Thanks

Vybe
I plan to stick around
You are not going to lose any functionality of the device. The phone is regardless of what people are saying....unlocked. All devices were delivered to Carriers from BlackBerry Mobile factory unlocked. So what kind of scam Rogers and bell reps are saying is ridiculous! It was confirmed to me personally at the blackberry mobile release event in Toronto on November 9. I have also several friends that have bought the device for other carriers besides bell and Telus. Zero issue put in the sum card and done. Put in another s card and works on that too. They are factory unlocked period! End of story

JaySilva77
I've been here awhile
^^
Totally right. The phone works perfectly. No issues.
Cheers.

bosco32
I've been here awhile

I will third that.  My Telus Motion works amazingly on Rogers!!  It came fully unlocked and no Telus screen mention of Telus!

Thanks!!!

Vybe
I plan to stick around
And just for everyone's info since we have a lot of BlackBerry fans in here , there are at least 3 new BlackBerry devices coming in the new year. Hopefully Rogers gets their act together and gets back to supporting Waterloo as they continue this come back.

As well, BlackBerry states there is a buy back program coming for customers finally upgrading from BB10 and The Priv (their first android device). Support for bb10 is done in two years....the priv will no longer get security patches immediately . Your devices will still run for a long time but it's EOL (end of line).

robteb
I'm here a lot

Thanks!  Finally saw the Motion in person at a Bell store this past weekend and thought it looked great and felt great to hold!!   Was going to order one from Telus after Christmas, but maybe I'll wait to see what this buy-back program is all about, and by that time maybe Rogers will carry the Motion.  I'll miss my Z30 though!!

Vybe
I plan to stick around
Sure my that time BlackBerry will be able to push them out via Amazon and all money will go back to BlackBerry mobile rather than into the carriers hands . With respond to the buy back ... Alex Thurber brought it up on on BlackBerry Blogs last week. I would expect more news to come shortly via BlackBerry Blogs or via BlackBerry mobile on Twitter.
Topic Stats