cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Android - Bring us WiFi calling

edwa1812
I've been here awhile

I can't find a way of turning it on. I bought my phone from Roger's, maybe I should have bought it from BlackBerry???

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Blackberry Android - Bring us WiFi calling

RogersMaude

Good day @edwa1812,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Forums! Smiley Wink

The PRIV has the authentic BlackBerry keyboard, legendary security, streamlined communications and productivity. It is the first BlackBerry to use the Android OS.

However, it is not VoLTE compatible and Wi-Fi Calling is only supported on certain iPhone devices.

Take a look at this Blog article for more information!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

RogersMaude

Good day @edwa1812,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Forums! Smiley Wink

The PRIV has the authentic BlackBerry keyboard, legendary security, streamlined communications and productivity. It is the first BlackBerry to use the Android OS.

However, it is not VoLTE compatible and Wi-Fi Calling is only supported on certain iPhone devices.

Take a look at this Blog article for more information!

RogersMaude

edwa1812
I've been here awhile

Too bad! Blackberry in their latest (and perhaps last) effort at staying in the smartphones market has come out second best to IPhone on this. Interestingly the online manual for the Priv says that it HAS Wi-Fi calling capability????

@edwa1812

Eligible devices for Wi-Fi calling include: iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, 6 Plus 6s and 6s Plus on iOS 9.

Hope this helps.

RogersSannecia

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @RogersSannecia

I am pretty sure the OP knows this..... The user is saying that the Blackberry Priv indeed does support WiFi Calling but Rogers has not enabled it for this device. That is what the user is saying... I contacted Blackberry on behalf of another customer at my work and speaking to a higher end manager, they advised me that Rogers has yet accepted and enabled the device for this.

Hopefully Rogers considers this and enables it for this device as it is a neat device and should have this option.

edwa1812
I've been here awhile

I am happy with most aspects of my Rogers BlackBerry Priv, but since I work from a basement office where wireless reception is really limited, it would certainly help if Rogers enabled the Wi Fi calling WHICH IS AN AVAILABLE FEATURE OF THIS PHONE ACCORDING TO THE BlackBerry MANUAL. Why does Rogers not enable their customers to us this feature on the VB Priv????

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @edwa1812

Honestly they should have enabled this from the start but i am guessing the more people that complain about it, the more attention it will get and get them to do it, it seems. This feature is needed for you and other users like my self which are in basements and buildings that barely get any service.

konaexplorer
I've been here awhile

Does Rogers One Number not work either? I assume not based on the above comments.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @konaexplorer

Since it is a Android based device i do believe it does work with Rogers One Number. I haven't seen any posts saying it doesn't.

Hello,

Question about "Wi-Fi Calling"

Anyone knows why Rogers is not providing this feature on BlackBerry PRIV purchased from Rogers?

What 'reasons' or 'explanations' does Rogers provide to their customers?   Any idea?

Note about "RogersOneNumber"

I installed it and was able to send text messages. However, the phone did NOT work properly even after what appeared to be successful downloading and installation of the phone app. 

After many attempts and failures, I un-installed the app from my PC.  Perhaps I'll try again another time.

Thanks - RM_Rogers

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @User1614647

Unfortunately you won't get that answers here or anywhere as that information doesn't go public.. It could be in the works for it but not right now. Could be a agreement issue or a issue in the OS.

edwa1812
I've been here awhile

I'm contacting Rogers directly to try to put some pressure on, before I go public on their Facebook page. It seems the software allows WiFi calling and Rogers hasn't activated it for Canada. I'm really not sure why not, since they do allow WiFi calling on the IPhone 6s.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @edwa1812

Even if you contact them directly or on Facebook they won't do much other then read the posts and send them to the back end. It's the head office / engineering team that needs a shake up. Again it all depends on agreements and such which they aren't allowed to release to the public. WiFi Calling is only on iPhone 6S most likely to test it out and make sure all goes well before deploying it out to the rest devices

Madguy
I'm here a lot

Text I got today 

Rogers service msg: We're always reviewing the services we offer to ensure we're meeting our customers' needs and providing them with what they want most. As of Jan. 31, 2017, Rogers One Number will no longer be available. Since launching Rogers One Number, we've introduced new, innovative wireless solutions that help Canadians stay connected - like Share Everything plans with unlimited Canada-wide calling and Wi-Fi Calling that allows you to call and text in more places (with a compatible device). We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Questions? Reach us at http://rogers.com/contactus

So it looks like Roger's one is not going to be supported hopefully they will activate the feature

JIM51
I've been here awhile

Now I just received my Priv.  Prior to ordering it I checked out the specs on line and then made a call directly to rogers.  I was transfered to a Moncton office and the person on the line there told me Yes Wifi calling would be available if I ordered the new PRIV.

So I set it up today and it is not an available option on the software provided through Rogers.

Reception in my basement is terrible and they are now cancelling one number as of January 31.  Previously I used Wifi calling offered before and it made all the difference in my use. Other providers support this feature why will Rogers not enable it?

Rogers tech please respond

rforce
I've been around

I had the PRIV since it was released and just upgraded to the KEYone and am really curious why Rogers doesn't allow WiFi calling for Blackberry devices running Android.   I could be wrong, but is it not the business customers who are the main users of WiFi calling and Blackberry phones?

So, please enable WiFi calling for my KEYone or upgrade the tower by my office so I can get a signal in my office.

*Edited Labels*

Hello @rforce,

We completely understand why WiFi calling is important to you, as you want to utilize all of the great features your new Blackberry KEYone is capable of.

At this time we really do not have any information if/when this feature will be made active for the Blackberry KEYone. Generally, it takes a few months after a new phone is launched for Wi-Fi calling or VoLTE features to become active. We need to ensure it is tested fully and working properly over our network before we can release it to the public. The testing phase could take some time to complete as we may need to fix any issues as they come up.

We are well aware that many people desire the Wi-Fi calling feature and we appreciate your feedback and patience regarding this matter.

Please check out our OS upgrade schedule thread HERE for more information on when upgrades will be completed for specific devices and what’s coming up next.

Regards,

RogersTony

BS
I'm a senior advisor

It seems to be hit and miss whether blackberry phones will run the features like WIFI calling and VoLTE  - customers have been through this with the PRIV and many other phones, and hear that it is being tested, and like the PRIV, it never came and other Android phones.  I can see why people are becoming concerned.  When you can't trust that providers are going to provide the full feature sets of new phones, they are left not being able to trust their decisions based upon careful research.

I don't just hold Rogers to this practice, it is going on in all companies in Canada, and some in the U.S. too for a few companies, but they seem to be stopping the practice from what I have read.

Companies need to stop doing this or customers will begin to stop purchasing new phones based upon new technology because they can't trust what they are going to get and when asking they get many mixed messages, and confusion as to just what is the practice on new phones, unlocked phones, various brands and implementaiton of feature sets that are universally designed for the manufacturers products, as long as providers decide to implement it.  It includes security updates too and a few other areas realted to functionality of phones.

Maybe it is time for Rogers to step up and be a leader and end the practice and support their customers.  Just because everyone else does it, they have a chance to stand above the crowd.

Bruce

Shane8750
I've been here awhile

I've been experiencing this issue since my warranty replacement and lack of volte. however not for a note, for my blackberry keyone. and I've called Rogers multiple times to have same 'unsupported imei' and nothing we can do. odd enough, I put Sim in PRIV for a few hours and back into keyone and volte works for a while then kicks it off. why? obviously the device works with it. and blackberry doesn't know what difference is either...

Shane8750
I've been here awhile
it's sad, because blackberry devices were THE FIRST to use WiFi calling (UMA) alongside the old Nokia flip phone. I got hooked on it with the old pearl BB, being able to use my device where Rogers had no coverage at all, and the my PRIV, which uses VoLTE yet is said to not be supported. andx when it was switched on (VoLTE) for my KeyOne, the damned device started to lose its screen. low and behold, got warranty replacement and I'm back to no VoLTE and no help because device is 'unsupported' and you wonder why our dear Canadian company couldn't turn things around. it's because they have no support from carriers their devices run on. oh wait, that's just with Rogers. after almost 2 decades with this company, I'm almost thinking for next upgrade my time is just about up.

minfisher
I've been around

I have been keep waiting wifi calling on blackberry Priv almost 2 years. no luck. Rogers really dont care about canadian blackberry products , that is what i feel. i do live in new area where we have poor network from all the carriers. my wife has freedom mobile but she has wifi calling. same thing at my work, very poor network. i wish i could have an option to use wifi calling . Priv is capable to have wifi calling. T mobile in USA support Priv for wifi calling. Rogers must respect that, there are still blackberry users left in canada. please support blackberry.

Topic Stats