BlackBerry KEYone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: BlackBerry KEYone

Hello @Davidwr

That is your decision but this is for the KEYone not the issue ur having with the Priv.
I Plan to Stick Around

The updates will be coming directly from BlackBerry for this phone and they've been very quick with providing updates to the Priv, DTEK50 and DTEK60.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Neely2005

There is a thread open for the Priv getting late update and security updates though. So that's why he made that post. Again this one is supposed to get it straight from Blackberry so we shall see.
I Plan to Stick Around

I currently have a BB Z30 and love it. I also use the BlackBerry Blend program daily. I do realize that it is no longer supported. 

I am interested in the KEYone as a replacement (nothing wrong the the Z30, even lasts 2 days for battery life).

But, I really enjoy the functionality that Blend gives me (working on the calendar on my desktop is so much easier than using the phone). Is there something for Android that offers the same features as Blend does, but for the Android ecosystem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Hi @JerryY,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

I'm glad to hear you're pumped about the KEYone, it looks like a great piece of hardware. 

Having said that, I'm not super familiar with BlackBerry or Blend.  I've always been more of an Android guy myself.  As far as Android goes, I find it pretty easy to add and edit things in Google Calendar on my desktop, which then syncs with Google Calendar on my phone.  Aside from that, I can't really say I know too much about what Blend has to offer. 

Perhaps @Meowmix or any of our other BlackBerry fans have some insight? 

Have a good one!

RogersShaun

I'm a Senior Advisor

I would agree with @RogersShaun .  My sister in law works on a blackberry/android device (not sure which one), and she uses gmail as her primary email, and uses her laptop or device on gmail web site to manage her calendars, email, tasks, reminders, for sharing calendars with her spouse who uses gmail on a iphone in a similiar manner.

I work on my android and came from Blackberry and BB Blend, and other than learning to work a bit differently, Gmail puts every thing I had on my Blend access at my hands, including google cloud, google photo and synch between device and cloud, for file transfer (again using cloud), for my email, calendar, reminders, etc, it is seamless while in Gmail and the google apps related to the mail side of things.

The one weakness is the absence of direct interface to your text message as you could in blend - that requires 3rd party apps, which there quite a few, such as mighty text, airdorid (which is my preferred choice, because I prefer working from my laptop than from a phone for as much as I can and I can see everything from airdroid, except for make a phone call on my computer, but I can accept a call, and dial a call in the app, and I use a bluetooth headset to use the phone while I am at the laptop.  Airdroid does file transfers too.

So I will be honest, it is no near as efficient as blend was at getting at everything, but it works - just a small learning curve.  and the other thing you may find is the android version of the hub is no near where as slick as the BB10 hub was, but you can make the home page look just like your old BB home page if you desire, you just can't flick the hub in and out - it is just another app.

I know my sister-in law loves it, out of my price range.  I just went Android when BB went android (cheaper choices was the factor), but the learning curve was not escessive, but I do still miss my BB.

BB is almost dead in the water and this will probably be their last attempt at hardware. they sold BB/Android versions in the last quarter and their share was .2%.  May as well have been zero.

But I would never discourage or encourage anyone away from BB.  I have loved them for years, my daughter worked for them for 3 years, and I still 9300 and Q10's in my drawer fully functional still.  But emulating android over BB10, was a dead end solution because it was dying under its own weight as we all started adding more Android apps, and BB apps production basically ended once BB dropped their QA of BB apps - that was my daughters job, she tested everything on all devices before it hit the BB world.

So do enjoy your new phone, and yes you can do everything you did before with the hub and blend, just not aw well in my opinion.

@Meowmix  may have access to more contacts who know more about it hands on.  He seems to have connections about devices, I sure don't have anymore - My daughter has moved on and does software engineering on point of sale and warehouse order shipping systems backend to front end.

Best of luck, Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

This is the 4th Android phone by BlackBerry, it won't be their last.

Priv
DTEK50
DTEK60
KEYone
I Plan to Stick Around

The KEYone has received the most pre-orders ever at Rogers for a BlackBerry device!

https://crackberry.com/keyone-has-received-most-pre-orders-ever-rogers-blackberry-device

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Neely2005

Very nice!!!!

And yet Rogers hasn't promoted it as they do with any iPhone or Samsung device on their website.
I've Been Here Awhile

It would have been nice if Rogers would have at least displayed some dummy phones prior to release date 

Topic Stats