Big Windows Phone Announcement

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Big Windows Phone Announcement

Big news in the world of Windows Phone. Microsoft will be laying off approx 7,800 employees in the phone division. A majority of the tech sites and blogs have become doom prophets, and proclaiming that this is the end for Windows Phone. I myself do not see that, however I think the announcement comes at a very unfortunate time.

However there was an interesting piece of information I read on blog by Mary Jo Foley, and I'm wondering how it may affect Canadian Windows Phone users. In it a source was told that "Microsoft will be narrowing its carrier/geography focus with windows phone by exiting relationships and areas where it has not been successful."

A few months ago I read an article that claimed that Canada had only 500,000 windows phone users. So does this mean that potentially Canada and the carriers may not get Windows 10 Mobile devices?

Maybe my numbers are off, but have the good people at Rogers seen an increase in windows phone adoption?

I'm hoping this is a long term strategy as it does not make much sense to me to create such limitations even before Windows 10, Windows 10 mobile, and new Windows 10 phones are released.

So do you think we are doomed?

Thoughts?

***Edited Labels***

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Big Windows Phone Announcement

I hope not.

I'm really hoping for a great Windows 10 device!

RogersDarrell

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi brandonjbarnard,

Thank you for your post, it was well appreciated.

My thoughts on carriers in Canada not receiving Windows 10 Mobile devices; is why? I think you're absolutely right in saying this doesn't make sense to create such limitations. I'm a big believer in the whole majority rules, so if there's a majority out there that are waiting in anticipation for the Windows 10 Mobile devices to become readily available. I don't think Microsoft will be narrowing its carriers at all. But at the end of the day it's whatever Microsoft decides to do.

Regards,
RogersArhur

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hey @brandonjbarnard,

I personally wouldn't think of it as being doomed. Think of it as an opportunity to explore what Android and iOS have to offer Smiley Happy. It certainly would be nice to see a Windows 10 phone though! 

RogersHassam 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Brandonjbardard

I don't think either that it's being doomed or have any issues down here. As @RogersHassam said, it's a opportunity to explore other OS systems and devices although u have used them before, maybe others haven't.

I do think we will get Windows 10 devices though!
Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

MAN! I had a whole day issues with website scripting and not able to log in and it gave me redirect-site loop....
Wanted to respond to this so badly! lol

So as far as I have heard, Windows 10 Phone(s) will be launched in Canada but Nokia contract thingy came to an end, so essentially Nokia just want to start making phones again... but still brand it as something else.
(We just won't see "Nokia" name ...yet?)

Everything is in the air, but launch of Windows 10 Phones in canada was... partially confirmed, as confirmed as Microsoft makes it. Since they talked about regional support on one of their newsletter for canada on Windows 10 and windows 10 phone.
Personally (Even though I never played Halo or a Fan of Halo), I just want Cortana. That's all I care about. Smiley Happy

Edit: Cortana Live, or whatever is called; "Hey Cortana" thingy...

I know Cortana is already on Windows phones. but Windows 10 Phone apparently have much better intergration.

Me too! The "Cityman" and "Talkman" devices seem awesome spec wise! Heard speculation that U.S. may only get "Talkman" version. Who knows at this point though!

My concern was that windows phone usage was not big enough for Windows to continue to support in Canada As the speculation is that Microsoft will drop regions and carriers, and last I checked there aren't a lot of windows phone users in Canada. One number I heard was 500,000 in all of Canada. I hope Windows 10 is a success and more people discover the device and OS.

Been there, done that with both Android and iPhone Smiley Very Happy Can't go back!

Do you happen to have a website link where I can sign up for that newsletter? Would be nice to know what is going on the Canadian front involving windows 10 and Microsoft as all my resources are from the U.S.

Cortana is awesome. If you haven't already change the region/Language/speech to U.S. and it unlocks the "beta" version of Cortana. All we have in Canada is the "alpha" and its not as good.

The "Hey Cortana" function only works on the Lumia 930 and 1520, but can't wait to see it on a windows 10 device! Hopefully in September!