cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask an Expert: Why the IGNITE plans no longer offer discount on BYO Rogers modem?

howi
I plan to stick around

RogersShane,

Greetings.

I am wondering why Rogers would no offer rental discount to offset BYO Rogers modem purchase on the new IGNITE plans. In the past, thel discounts are substantial - ranging from $7 to $12 per month. I can understand, equpiment change is inevitable to obtain the better performance, reliability and experience as the technologies evolved - like the DOCSIS 2.0 > 3.0. However, as long as Rogers is sanctioning the sales of the compatible Rogers modem / gateway at the authorized retail points of sales like Future Shop / Best Buy, it is not fair to drop the ball on those loyal Rogers subscribers who choose to purchase it outright for long term commitment with Rogers service. Then if Rogers elects to phase out the sales of the modem / gateway, it can do so but without upsetting those who have purchased the equipement outright... a win-win for all!

Therefore, may I recommend you to reconsider to grandfather the discount for all the existing subscribers who have purchased the still current, compatible Rogers modem / gateway please? 

Thank you for attention.

6 REPLIES 6

Ask an Expert: Why the IGNITE plans no longer offer rental discount on BYO Rogers modem?

Dabsi
I've been around

Hi Shane, I think the new ignite packages a great. Especially, with the unlimited plans. However, I feel a little bit cheated that Rogers is not providing any discount and/or credit for customers who own their internet modem. The new package prices includes the modem rental and customers are charged the same rate whether they already have an owned modem or get a new one with the package. Can this policy be revisited? Personally, I paid over $200 for my modem less than a year ago so that I can save money over the long run by continuing to be a Rogers customer. With the new plans, Rogers has stopped my ability to take advantage this saving. BTW, it is now also difficult to re-sell my modem, since there is no advantage for anyone to own their modem going forward. Thanks in advance for your response.

Re: Ask an Expert: Why the IGNITE plans no longer offer discount on BYO Rogers modem?

RogersShane
Product Manager
Product Manager

@howi and @Dabsi  Great questions, with the new IGNITE plans and we an eye to customer experience we decided to no longer charge a modem rental fee for a couple of reasons:

1. In order to allow customers who just upgraded in the last year to the advanced Wi-Fi modem (CGN3) to upgrade to the new IGNITE tiers without having to go into retail to swap their modem for the new Rocket WI-Fi
  2. Combine that with the rate that technology is changing we decided that it was best to include the hardware in the package price to allow customers to easily upgrade to take advantage of our latest devices.

Re: Ask an Expert: Why the IGNITE plans no longer offer discount on BYO Rogers modem?

howi
I plan to stick around

RogersShane,

Thanks for your response. 

However, you are not answering to those who have purchased the still sanctioned, compatible modem gateway i.e. CGN3 Moreoever, Rogers essentially penalize those loyal subscribers by forcing them to pay $12 - $14 more every month. I can understand the "values" that IGNITE plans could bring - especially the top 2 tiers with unlimited cap; and the NHL, Showmi contents. But it is not one-size-fits-all. For example... http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/231...

It essentially turn our Rogers modem purchase & $12/mo savings into garbage...

@howi I see where you are coming from, thanks for raising your concern here. I will bring this back to my team.

howi
I plan to stick around

RogersShane,

Thank you for trying to understand the situation.

I have actually brought the attention of this matter to no fewer than 3 colleagues of yours... social media team, customer service agent on the phone. Do not get me wrong, I have been experiencing improved quality and reliability of the internet service over the past decade with Rogers. And the IGNITE plans, especially the top 2 tiers, do bring extra values to many other subscribers. 

However, we may have a few but still significant loyal subscribers who simply want to continue to enjoy the service with more savings. Please do discuss the matter with your colleagues.

aahaji
I'm here a lot

As a loyal rogers cutomer who purchased their own modem with the intention that I would be a long term rogers customer and hence the saivgs on the modem would be substantial in the long run, I FEEL CHEATED. My modem is dead weight right now. 

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 4 in conversation