your tv does not support HDCP

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

your tv does not support HDCP

when tiring to use a HDMI cable, i get a message saying (YOUR TV DOES NOT SUPPORT HDCP). whats this about?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: your tv does not support HDCP

THANK YOU - the power off/on worked.. This saved me purchasing devices that would probably have caused me more pain than gain.....  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Try Component HD Cables

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

How old is your TV?

HDCP stands for High Definition Copy Protection. Pretty much it's DRM for digital high def connections. Your TV needs to support HDCP inorder to use digital HD connections. Switching to component should work since it is an analog connection that does not have HDCP requirements.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi bidogman,

Sometimes the TV may not be able to automatically detect the HDMI cable connected to the digital box. I'm not sure why that happens, but you can turn off the box and then make sure your TV is set to the HDMI input. Then turn off the TV, turn on the box, then turn on the TV again. This should "handshake" the box and TV to get you up and running.

Hope this helps!
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I just got an 8300HD PVR under a rogers promotion and am trying to hook it up using HDMI and I am getting this same issue. It says that the TV does not support HDCP, but my manual says that it does. A quick internet search seems to indicate that this is not an issue with my TV.

Is there any way to get this working or am I doomed to use component?

Should I be exchanging this PVR, or are they all like this?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 8300 should work fine with hdmi and hdcp, it did fine, when I had mine. but it could be a specific thing between your box and brand of tv not playing nice, and it would work fine on another tv. I would try a swap first to iliminate that.

It's wired that they gave you and 8300, most places do not anymore, and only have the 8642.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Try turning on your TV then turning on your 8300HD.. If that doesn't work turn them on in the opposite order.. The 8300HD has known issues with it's HDCP handshake often messing up.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I've tried both orders and no luck.

I also hooked it up to a computer monitor and that worked fine, so it is most likely some kind of incompatibility. I'll look for a firmware patch of something to see if that helps, or bring it back to Rogers and swap for a different one.

Thanks for the ideas.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yeah try a new Rogers box..
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm currently dealing with the same issue with my set up.

LG Plasma and my Cable box is connected a harmon/Kardon AVR.

When i connect the 8300HDPVR directly to the TV, it's all good. However, once i connect it via the AVR i get absolutely nothing.

Also, if i use one of my other cables it works fine. So i'm not sure if it's my Cable, or the settings with my AVR.

The HDMI cable is an RCA one that i bought from Superstore on a whim to avoid travelling for one. Therefore i do not know if it is a 1.4 or not.

Has anybody been able to solve the issue they had with this message?