wi-fi calling throw rogers network, out of service area

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

wi-fi calling throw rogers network, out of service area

has anyone tried to setup there android to do wi-fi calling like you can do with the blackberry when your out of service area throw rogers network ?

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: wi-fi calling throw rogers network, out of service area

The Wifi Calling or UMA service is currently not available for the Android platform. Currently only certain Blackberry models and 1-2 Nokia cellphones can use Wifi-Calling.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

for some reason i was under the impression the nokia n95-8 was a UMA device but apparently it's not.  seems like only blackberries.

this quote from the white papers is quite misleading, inferring all one would need is a capable handset, and add the service to the account, which is probably not the case.

UMA-enabled dual mode handsets (with GSM and Wi-Fi radios). A broad array of handsets from the major device manufacturers, including most current BlackBerry®device models, are dual mode and support UMA.

http://www.rogersbizresources.com/files/193/Wi-Fi_Calling_whitepaper_Dec2_EN.pdf

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/add-ons/callingservices

http://www.rogers.com/business/on/en/smallbusiness/products/wireless/wifi/

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

HTC EVO 3D apparently does it.  just may have to buck up and pick one up!

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirelessBuyFlow?forwardTo=PhoneThenPlan&productType=normal&productId_...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

carlosdudas, how is it misleading?

I wanted to try UMA, to my suprise, my existing blackberry handset alreeady supported UMA. and I added the UMA feature on my account and it worked just fine.  Even my friend whos computer illiterate knows the difference between a UMA and a Wi-Fi capable phone.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

i did buy the HTC evo 3D and not looking back thank god they had a android phone with wi fi calling , plus messaging and also pic messaging, just tryed it all now, calls are super clear as well. The HTC put the samsung captivate to rest and im not looking back but i do like some features on the samsung more then the htc but i can live with out it. ITS WORTH BUYING THIS PHONE I GIVE IT FROM 1 TO 10 A 8.5 rating , I buy alot of phone and so far this is the best android phone i have ever had. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

hi Pauly, i was referring to the quote from the white papers.   just because there is a broad range of handsets that have GSM and wifi radios, that support UMA, doesn't mean they will work with rogers.  Maybe it's just me?  

" A broad array of handsets from the major device manufacturers, including most current BlackBerry®device models, are dual mode and support UMA. "

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

carlosdudas, i still not sure what you are talking about? The article makes perfect sense to me and im not trying to defend rogers. Rogers advertizes a phone as uma compatible, never seen one that was advertized and did not work? do u have any examples? maybe u didnt have the uma soc code on your account? iunno man... this makes sense to me.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I used the app Net Talk to call over my wifi on my captivate. Worlds perfect for me.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@shadnuke:

if i call your mobile number and your on wifi, will you be able to answer the call with your app?