why

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: why

I really think you've done a great job on the current 2.1 image we use on our phones.  Anyone that has looked at other images and problems experienced on other carriers would probably agree.

That being said, Rogers is extreamly late pushing out the 2.2 image.  This is very frustrating when many devices are starting to receive 2.3.

We're currently very far behind the rest of the world when it comes to updates.  It would be VERY benefitial to us to have a rough timeline as to when we can expect the new image.  2011 as you can expect is pretty vague, and when most Captivate users were strung along from July to November waiting for the phone, your customer confidence is at an all time low with these specific customers.

I can understand that you personally don't have an update.  But it would be great if you could pull some strings internally to get a timeline that's a little more solid.  Otherwise?  I'll just remove your software, remove the rogers applications, and remove any control Rogers has over my phone.

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi BGrant,

Thanks for your patience.

Rogers tests all OS upgrades provided by handset manufacturers before we release them to our customers. In our extensive testing of an OS upgrade for the Samsung Galaxy Captivate, we uncovered an issue with the software provided by Google that affects data-based location services. To ensure the best experience for our customers, we’ve decided to hold back the release of this update to ensure all issues are corrected.

We’re working with Samsung and Google to fix the issue so we can release the upgrade as soon as possible.

I Plan to Stick Around

there now rogers ,, was that so hard to spit out for the consumer,,, now we know,,

tell the people and the will do away with alot of tension,,,

i still hope its not bloat ware related,,

pass that on to the higher ups that the consumer deserves and wants to know

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks RogersE   for the additional info..  but  still feel something was unclear.

Like I said on other posting ,  my friend  has been running  official  2.2 on his Bell  Galaxy.... are impressed with everything as a "power-user"  &  absolute no complain.

So is it  Bell network  are more compatible with this phones / software   or  is it  a  administrative or priority  delay between Samsung and Rogers on 2.2 release ?

I'm an Enthusiast

Does Rogers test OS Upgrades, or do they fiddle with them?  I can't, for the life of me, see Samsung sticking the MyAccount app on the OS as a rooted application that can't be removed.  I also can't see them installing **bleep** like Layar and Twidroid and Facebook and MySpace...etc ad naseum.  So, to everyone waiting for 2.2, realize that they might say that there happens to be issues, but how much of that is with these preinstalled-by-Rogers apps and how much with the OS itself is anyone's guess.

But Rogers is always opening and honest when dealing with customers...right?

I Plan to Stick Around

rogers will be adding there own bloatware,,,,

its to bad the android isnt being used what is should be used for,,

i have my contract on rogers to use there cell service,,, the phone should be wide open with no bloat,, and i can add what I want,,,

I'm an Enthusiast

I agree.  There are ways to gain control of your own device, but Rogers "frowns" on them.  Everytime I have asked about people's experiences with doing...that...my posts get deleted 🙂  Check out androidforums.com for a "solution"

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm in the same boat as all of you guys but your beating on the wrong drum here. I know it's frustrating that we buy high end devices to keep up with this new technology and the updates to make it even better always lag behind. The lack of information and the non-informative response we get try our patience.

For me it's all Déjà Vu again it was the same deal when Rogers launched the HTC Dream/Magic android line back in summer 2009. You have to understand that Rogers does not modify the rom in-house they only test it to make sure there is no problem with it (like the E911 fiasco back then).

Bell Vibrant got 2.2 for only one reason. It's a i9000m version not a i9000, an international version. If it was only a US/CAN version they surely would be waiting for that update also. 

The bottle neck is the both Samsung and Rogers. Google gives out the vanilla rom to Samsung, they in turn modifiy it to suit their vision of what android should be on their phone. After that Rogers pitch in on what they want and how it must work. Then Samsung build it for them. Then returns it to Google for test and approval. Then it returns to Samsung who in turns make it available for Rogers to test.  Once Rogers confirms the rom is solid and to their liking then its made available by Samsung on the Kies servers. We just don't have plain vanilla rom from Google, that's the downside to openess, every one can chim in and add his spices to the sauce.

Rogers on the other hand as a very big communication problem. They try to make it better by having the big redboard and having Miranda, Elise and Mary on twitter to get our feedback on twitter and help us to the max of their power. They do a awesome job with all the limitation they have to face. They often don't have more info then us and if we do have more they try to dig deep to get more for us. The problem is that inside the big red information is volatile and often wrong, not up-to-date or unavailable.

Phone CSR have information from one internal source. Rogers store fronts employe's get information from another source and more often then not they both contradict themself.

For now the only thing we can do is wait and hopefully get some news...... like it always was.

@RogersErin I'm not sure what your function are or how at what level you are in Rogers social team hiearchy. Could you describe it bit if possible ? Let us know a bit about you, let us know how you work, how you get the information we request ?.

I know more about the twitter team but i'm unsure of this new forum team. do you have the same status as the other media teams? Are you calling the Office of President as often has they are ?  This could appease the storm and make us view what your powers are. We feel we have our hands bound and that Rogers does not listen to us (unless we make alot of noise on the web).  Thanks.

I Plan to Stick Around

Great summary, Silvertag & others

So   our SGS  are different !

Now I learn my lesson , and will rather shop for  "International" products on my next contract (whichever the carrier can provide).

I  assume  those phones  will receive better /universal  supports 

& straight-forward / standard upgrades  than those  "Customize" /"Canadian" phones.

I Plan to Stick Around

This is from Samsung on Facebook today:

We are continuing to investigate issues that some users have reported while completing the upgrade to Android 2.2. In the interim, we are taking the extra precaution of temporarily suspending the upgrade as a download from Kies. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask that you contact 1-800-751-4078 or sh.support@samsung.com if you have any further questions. Many thanks.