why was there no service for over half a day ? 21 sept 2011

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

what happened to service on 21 sept 2011 at about 12 pm ? why was it offline, and how come there was no update on status on any of rogers attached social sites?

was it a dos att ?

is our credit information unsecure?

how come i could not make calls or recieve calls or send texts ? would you have taken responsibility if there was an accident due to the malfunction of your service ?

Why is no one moderating the the crazy amount of topics coming in about there being no network ?

does this have anything to do with internet throttling ?

will you delete this post as a coverup ?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Around

SURPRISE! For all those *happy* Rogers customers, 3G networks were down *again* yesterday for most of the day. Multiple calls to people in call centers down east who didn't know anything about the outage, and wanted to troubleshoot with me were utterly mind boggling (I had to manually troubleshoot for 2 hours with no phone in the middle of nowhere on a jobsite that I needed an internet connection to tether to a laptop in my truck).

Even today, they don't know why there weren't any customers notified of the apparent system upgrade/outage/network disturbance or why tech support wasn't told anything either other than 'apparently there is an unknown outage in your area'.... thanks genius...

Here's a local news station article from their website:

Rogers outage leaves many without service
12am
9/21/2011

Rogers Mobility services were restored Tuesday night, after service went down during the day.

Customers reporting problems with 3G and texting services in Edmonton and other cities across the country. Around 9pm, some Rogers customers on Twitter reported service was back up, but others continued to report problems.

Customers who use the EDGE service appeared to be fine. Users on Twitter have suggested those on the 3G network switch their phone to the EDGE service if possible, to temporarily fix voice and SMS network issues.

Rogers hasn't confirmed the issue, or announced what caused the outages. Calls to Rogers representatives by 630 CHED had not been returned as of late Tuesday night. (blb, ks)
Thanks Rogers...
I think my company is going to be doing some 'network upgrades' ourselves after I line our 20 phones up and drive over them...

I'm Here A Lot

Re: why was there no service for over half a day ? 21 sept 2011

I don't know the cause, but Rogers had a message on their support line about the outage.

A network outage won't result in your account information being leaked to anyone.

Rogers isn't responsible if your phone doesn't work in an emergency.

I Plan to Stick Around

oh, on there support line, how am i supposed to call that? my phone doesn't work.

it does now, a little too late. fyi if i have to pay out because i wasn't able to answer my phone, its my fault right? not rogers?

i've never gotten crappy service like this in BC or ontario with rogers, why alberta ?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Use a different phone?

If you have to pay out of your own pocket due to rogers' network being down, it's your responsibility.

You waive the right to any compensation for personal losses (due to network failures) when you sign up for service.

This was a Canada wide outage, I had trouble here in Manitoba too.

I've Been Around

I'm also having a lot of trouble getting answers as I cannot find any information on the Rogers website. As the original poster mentioned, we can't call Rogers if our phones are down, and I don't have a landline anymore so I didn't have another phone available to use. I do, however, have a computer...

Today my phone is once again not working, again no information, again, no phone to be able to call for support. Tried to login to the live chat help service which does not work.

Very frustrating.

Also recieved a text saying I've reached 80% of my data allowance useage which is impossible as I've barely used my phone.

All I'd like are some updates or answers or information or help.