why does my internet shows american time and zone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

why does my internet shows american time and zone

I'm not an internet expert. My hardware at home is set to canadian time and zone yet applying for job posting using rogers hispeed internet, it seems to show american detroit time zone. Does my internet sevice go through the states and why?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: why does my internet shows american time and zone

Unless you are on someone elses internet.. or someone else set it up for you... you would likely KNOW if you are on on a VPN.. takes some setting up, etc to do.

Like though the others are correct.

Its detecting the geographical location of your IP.. picking up that you are in the the GMT-5 (i think thats the right one for the area).  But is displaying whatever THEIR designation for that timezone.. like the others said.. there are multiple cities which are in that zone.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Hello, @gmcommunity

Thank you for the interesting question. To my understanding, the website which you are browsing will determine your location based on your IP address. However, if you are using a VPN service, your location would be the VPN server's location.

What time zone are you in? Isn't Detroit in Eastern Time Zone?

@Gdkitty@VivienM and @Datalink - may have more insights to add, thank you all.

Regards,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@gmcommunity wrote:

I'm not an internet expert. My hardware at home is set to canadian time and zone yet applying for job posting using rogers hispeed internet, it seems to show american detroit time zone. Does my internet sevice go through the states and why?

***edited labels***

Huh?

Detroit is in the Eastern Time Zone, same as Ontario/Toronto/all other Rogers territories in Ontario that I know of.

Most software that has no idea of Canada describes the Eastern time zone as, say, "America/New York". America/New York has the same rules for time (i.e. the delta from UTC and the daylight savings time rules) as the time in eastern Ontario. (I am not sure whether, say, Kenora is in the same time zone as Manitoba or not. But Rogers Cable doesn't offer service in Kenora...)

There's no such thing as a "Canadian time zone" versus an American one, though there may be some places in one country or another that have unusual time rules, especially when it comes to applying daylight savings time or not.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you Rogersmoin, again I'm not an internet / nor connection technician expert but how can I determine if what you've stated maybe the case. You indicated I could be on a VPN service and that its potentially the VPN server location. As most of the content I see is American, I think you may be correct so how can I get this check ed out?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unless you are on someone elses internet.. or someone else set it up for you... you would likely KNOW if you are on on a VPN.. takes some setting up, etc to do.

Like though the others are correct.

Its detecting the geographical location of your IP.. picking up that you are in the the GMT-5 (i think thats the right one for the area).  But is displaying whatever THEIR designation for that timezone.. like the others said.. there are multiple cities which are in that zone.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

You are welcome, @gmcommunity

Thank you  @VivienM and @Gdkitty for your inputs.

I was just going to say, VPN is usually a chargeable service and you will have a username and password for it, hope this helps.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank your Rogersmoin and gdkitty, I'd like to rule out VPN setup. What service providers are available to conduct investigation of this.

I did try to get the external line moved by a rogers technician but his services that day where intercepted by my neighbor. Some conversation took place and then he was reluctant to do any work, rather he slapped a Bell Canada Box ???on the cables and re-wall mounted the box and left.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Out of curiosity, how are you being made aware that your responses to job postings are being sent or received in the American Detroit time zone?   I would presume that if you were submitting a response directly to a web site somewhere, that web site could run on whatever time zone that it wanted to, and there would be no way for any end user to change that.  If you were emailing a response and the response was originating from a Canadian ISP or email server, I would expect it to indicate either GMT or Eastern Time Zone, but even then, that ISP or server could use whatever timezone that it wanted to, and again, the end user would not have any control over it.  I suspect that the only thing you could do is email the server administrator and inquire about the time zone setting.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Really there is not much you can do to SEE if you are or not..

Other than.. say on a PC, going to a website like

http://www.whatsmyip.org/

And get your IP address.

Then go to

https://who.is/

And enter that IP address.

And it should come back as a ROGERS address.
If it is through a VPN, it will likely come back with something else as the owner of the address.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Your internet service can't display a time on its own. Not like, say, a digital cable box which connects to its own network to update the time.

The internet is just your connection; your time would be on your computer. Some websites, like a forum for example, would display their native timezone with an option to change it to yours if you have an account.

A Canadian internet service has no reason to run though the USA or anywhere else for that matter. I'd say you are worried for no reason.