why does my computer download the same updates all the time when I shut down the same 4 always

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

why does my computer download the same updates all the time when I shut down the same 4 always

If someone has any idea I would be so happy to know

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator Rogers_Kate
Retired Moderator

Re: why does my computer download the same updates all the time when I shut down the same 4 always

Hi bruser,

Can you clarify which updates your computer is downloading? This will help the community answer your question 🙂

Thanks!

Rogers_Kate

I'm an Advisor

Re: why does my computer download the same updates all the time when I shut down the same 4 always

@bruser:

assuming you are running a version of MS Windows, this problem is not unusual.  So, technically, this becomes a Microsoft Windows, not a Rogers issue.

Windows Update automatically determines that these four updates have not yet been applied.  They are downloaded and queued for installation/application.  On a previous attempt of their installation one or more of these four updates failed, leaving data in the Windows registry that prevents their successful installation.  But, unfortunately, there is also no information in the Registry to indicate that they have in fact been installed successfully.

Try and determine when this problem occurred.  Perhaps you can restore your Windows to a saved image from prior to this problem occuring.  If not, you may need to take other action.

If you go to Windows Update in Control Panel, you can find out which updates are failing.  It will likely be the top ones in the list of Updates applied.  Windows Update notes which updates have been successfully installed, and which have failed.

Copy down the identifying numbers for each of  the failed Updates.  You will be able to find further information on these failed Updates in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for each of them.  The Knowledge Base articles will point you to download files for each of these Updates that will allow you to install them independently of the automatic Windows Update process.

In some cases you may need to take specific steps to remove Windows Registry information relating to the failed Updates.  This is much more specialized, and may warrant a visit to your local computer expert to get some help.  I am sure there are those here who could help, but in general working with Windows at this level could rapidly get very messy............

Hope this helps.

skinorth

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@bruser wrote:

If someone has any idea I would be so happy to know

LOL, dude stop playin... first time poster??  411:  "Read instructions before opening."

Next.  

I'm an Advisor

@pac_west227:

please be kind and constructive..............

I don't know to what "instructions" you are making reference.  I have had problems with the same or similar Update issues in MS Windows any number of times.  I still have the scars on my psyche from beating my head against that particular brick wall for days trying to resolve them

I had to learn the hard way, by experience.  And then the Redmond WA crew come out with some new surprise in the next "better" release of Windows.  So give the guy (or gal) a break, please, and let him/her vent their frustrations.

Thanks for your patience and forbearance.  But, if you have read the instructions, please let us know what you have discovered so we too will have the benefit of your knowledge.

skinorth

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I had an issue a while back.. couldnt do ANY updates, continual error code (one of those ones that is just a general error code).
Ended up being something simple.. the cmos battery was dieing, so the time/date was off.. this wouldnt allow it to connect to the windows update server.

Might help if we knew if it was PC or MAC.  I know a few poeple on here in the past, had reported of some insane internet usage, from failed MAC updates, which got stuck in a loop, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

Do NOT be afraid to search google or Microsoft's Technet for the answer to this problem.
If I remember, you need to disable automatic updates, and clear the logs for this specific download (I BELIEVE you can do so at windowsupdate.microsoft.com) You may have to find the files, delete them, remove the downloaded files, as well.
I had this problem a few years back, and as a helpdesk tech, I had to provide the answer to many as well. (Been over 6 years...).. anyways, good luck, that the tools are now in your hands.

I am NOT a Roger's employee, nor Microsoft employee.
My resolution comes "as is" and "at your own risk". I am not acting maliciously in this post.
Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation