when does changing internet packages take effect

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

when does changing internet packages take effect

i just changed my high speed services from lite to express tonight (via the online checkout) and i was wondering when the increased speed will take effect. when i click change my plan it has it registered as the new high speed express plan. Also, it said under new modem or repair charges that it was not needed.

so im wondering do i need a new modem to get this higher speed or does rogers just click a button and your internet gets faster haha. also does it take effect at the beginning of the next billing period or right away.

thanks for the info

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: when does changing internet packages take effect

Hi debadcosta,

Welcome to the Forums!

If you are upgrading from Lite to Express, the change should take place right away. A modem used for Lite can handle the speeds provided with the Express service, so no hardware upgrade is required. If you were upgrading to Extreme, Extreme Plus or Ultimate and do not have the Rogers SMC D3GN home networking gateway, then you would need to upgrade, since that is the only device that supports the higher speeds at this time.

If you have completed the upgrade process and are still getting the Lite speeds, you may need to "powercycle" your modem by unplugging the power for the modem for 1-2 minutes and plugging it back in. This should update modem with the new speed. If that does not correct the issue, you can contact Rogers technical support and we can check to verify that the upgrade was processed correctly.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm not sure when it will take effect but I called in to do mine and it was right away, same modem just something on Rogers end to increase the speed..
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi debadcosta,

Welcome to the Forums!

If you are upgrading from Lite to Express, the change should take place right away. A modem used for Lite can handle the speeds provided with the Express service, so no hardware upgrade is required. If you were upgrading to Extreme, Extreme Plus or Ultimate and do not have the Rogers SMC D3GN home networking gateway, then you would need to upgrade, since that is the only device that supports the higher speeds at this time.

If you have completed the upgrade process and are still getting the Lite speeds, you may need to "powercycle" your modem by unplugging the power for the modem for 1-2 minutes and plugging it back in. This should update modem with the new speed. If that does not correct the issue, you can contact Rogers technical support and we can check to verify that the upgrade was processed correctly.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I upgraded to the second highest tier and had to get a the advanced wifi modem. Problem is now is I can't get an ip address and have to wait for 24 hours or so before service is restored. No one told me that when I signed up. Now I have no tv or Internet.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm assuming that you stepped up to the 250/20 plan.  That change should have been immediate.  Did you change from the 3825 to the CGN3 in the process?  If so, was the CGN3 in place before you called in for the change, or did you take the 3825 back in and arrange for the step up and modem exchange all at once?  Did tech support arrange for a tech visit to see what the problem is?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. thats not normal..

Usually, if you have the right modem.. they make the change.. and its effective right away.
(i just recently switched from the 30/5 to 60/10 and while on the phone was able to verifity the change right away).