using the usb port on front of the nextbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

using the usb port on front of the nextbox

i used to be able to plug my phone into my usb slot on just the back of my tv, well i got a newphone and it doesnt connect and work to my tv anymore. well there is a usb slot on the front of the next box and i am wondering if you can listen to music through that? its a blackberry and it plays music through any other device this way, but when i plug it into this nextbox nothing happens, i go to settings and theres no options for any such thing regarding usb. anyways if anybody has any answers or tips it is greatly appreciated ...

thank you in advance 🙂 

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: using the usb port on front of the nextbox

Some phones wont work always the same.. depends on how they plug in.. weither they just show up as a USB storage device.. or as something different (Like an iphone does).

But as far as i know that port is disabled though on the boxes.. i didnt even think it was enabled on the old ones..

Highlighted
I've Been Around

The current Nextbox3 by Cisco has two USB sockets and one Ethernet socket at the rear.I am told by Rogers that these are not enaabled as software is not installed. Since they are common on computers it would appear they are for computer use. if so, when will the software be installed?  This is apparently a Rogers decision. One wonders just how they can be used if enabled?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Ketomato

They will enable it when they do a software update to enable it. The USB port is also used for a external HDD to record more shows and have more space.

No one on here knows when they will enable it but one would hope soon.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Enabling things, means they have to support them, or enable/support the features that these ports use.

As of right now.. they dont use the ethernet port at all for anything.  Likely if any DLNA or something similar was enabled on it, it would be used to connect to your network that way.
Also some of the cisco boxes, can be used as a docsis modem, so would be the connection out to the router (rogers segrigates its TV, net, phone frequencies.. so it cant really do this feature).

As meowmix said.. the USB can often be used for external drives to extend storage.. and i beleive is enabled that way.. but ESATA is much prefered (much faster)

As he said.. pretty much need to wait for rogers to want/enable these features to use them.