using LTE network without LTE plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

using LTE network without LTE plan

I reserved a Samsung S II LTE and signed up the $30 6GB data plan few weeks ago. Then I saw Rogers had these more expensive LTE plan posted up on the Rogers LTE website. I started to wonder if my 6GB data plan will be able to use the LTE network. Regarding to this question, I have made three calls to Rogers. All three CSRs told me that I will able to use LTE network as long as I stay in the LTE coverage area. Did you guys ask the same question and got the same answer?

******* Edit labels ********

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: using LTE network without LTE plan

@ii wrote:

I reserved a Samsung S II LTE and signed up the $30 6GB data plan few weeks ago. Then I saw Rogers had these more expensive LTE plan posted up on the Rogers LTE website. I started to wonder if my 6GB data plan will be able to use the LTE network. Regarding to this question, I have made three calls to Rogers. All three CSRs told me that I will able to use LTE network as long as I stay in the LTE coverage area. Did you guys ask the same question and got the same answer?

The $30/6GB data plan will let you use the SGSII LTE on the HSPA+ network.  If you want to use the LTE network you will need an LTE SIM and an LTE data plan.  With the LTE plan you will fall back to HSPA+ (or less) when you are outside the LTE coverage area.   If you don't care about the higher speed, stick with what you have and save yourself $20+ a month.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your reply jckelly,

I called rentention tonight because I thought they might know their stuff better. At first, the representative was also telling me that I will be able to use LTE network with my $30 6GB data plan. Then I told her that that's not what I saw on the website; she put me on hold for 15 mins and came back and told me that I need a LTE plan to use the LTE network. 

She was the 4th representative giving me THE SAME misleading information. I am really upset with Rogers right now. The reason that I signed up a data plan and reserved a smart phone was because I was interested at the LTE network. Since my data plan hasn't started, I cancelled the data plan and the phone reservation. Without even asking, she told me that if I want to carry my number to another company, the other company will call Rogers directly...

I did not give her attitude but rather a calm voice in the whole conversation and she decided to give me such a good suggestion. My voice plan is already out of contract and I will start looking for a new carrier now 

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't think it's Rogers being purposefully shady, I think their training is just serverly lacking. Good luck on the search. I will warn you that Bell is about 10x worse than Rogers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@jckelly wrote:

The $30/6GB data plan will let you use the SGSII LTE on the HSPA+ network.  If you want to use the LTE network you will need an LTE SIM and an LTE data plan.  With the LTE plan you will fall back to HSPA+ (or less) when you are outside the LTE coverage area.   If you don't care about the higher speed, stick with what you have and save yourself $20+ a month.

3 different reps have told me that my data plan will carry over seamlessly to LTE data.  Do you have links that say different?

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, two separtate CSRs told me the same thing, they would just simply "convert" my current iPhone 6GB data plan into LTE without extra charge, keeping it at $30. Even the employees at Bestbuy where I bought the Samsung S2 LTE said the same thing that I don't need an LTE-sim.

So I used a microsim-to-sim adapter to pop the iPhone's microsim into S2 LTE, the status indicator "4G" came up right away, but I am not seeing an "LTE" icon. Is there actually an LTE indicator icon?

On the other hand, I am wondering if my iPhone will be able to function with an LTE SIM card that's cut down to microsim size?

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@rogersfan1, To start with... I won't say anything about your screen name. 🙂
Which phone are you talking about not getting LTE? I was sure you meant your sgh, but then you finished by talking about your iPhone? If it's your iPhone.. it can't get LTE. If it's your sgh, call rogers and make sure that you are signed up for an LTE plan.
I Plan to Stick Around

@shaggyskunk, I won't say anything about your screen name either 🙂

Thanks for pointing out my confusion, I meant I am not getting an LTE speed using my iPhone's microsim in the SG2 LTE phone, even after the CSR has converted my data plan into LTE.

Then I read more to find out that to get LTE speed, I would actually need an LTE sim card. That's why my last question is, if I cut down the LTE sim card that is meant for the SG2 LTE phone into microsim size, will it work on my iphone? Hope this clarifies things.

I Plan to Stick Around

you can use the LTE with the 30$ 6 gigabyte plan as long as you have a LTE simcard, i checked this over and over again even with my wife who bought the LTE phone and she didnt have to change anything in her plan, all she needed was the LTE simcard on the phone. most reps on the phones are educated to upsell you the 10 gig 50$ plan so thats why they will guide you toward that. but you can use 6 gig plan as long as your have the sim card and in the coverage area of LTE.

I Plan to Stick Around

You definitely need a LTE sim. You also need to change a setting on the phone in the network area to use LTE. The default excludes LTE.
The speed is awesome. It's even faster than my cable internet.