usb thumb drive with tv

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

usb thumb drive with tv

Hi, is there any way I can record tv shows from the tv and then copy onto thumb drive to take to a friend's house to watch using his media player? I have an old style tv, with a digital cable box (provided by Rogers). I have been previously (previous to digital box) taping onto a vcr. I am willing to upgrade/purchase what I need to be able to do this. I just really want to be able to do this again. Currently (after installing the digital box) I can only tape shows I am watching onto my vcr, but I am willing to give up the whole vcr thing. Where do I start with being able to do this....the easiest way?  Thanks!

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: usb thumb drive with tv

@pattistolar wrote:

Hi, is there any way I can record tv shows from the tv and then copy onto thumb drive to take to a friend's house to watch using his media player? I have an old style tv, with a digital cable box (provided by Rogers). I have been previously (previous to digital box) taping onto a vcr. I am willing to upgrade/purchase what I need to be able to do this. I just really want to be able to do this again. Currently (after installing the digital box) I can only tape shows I am watching onto my vcr, but I am willing to give up the whole vcr thing. Where do I start with being able to do this....the easiest way?  Thanks!

Rogers equipment is not able to do this.  You're looking at some form of HTPC ( Home Theatre PC) setup which is as cheap or expensive as you wish it to be.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Lurker is correct. None of the Rogers boxes (not other providers) will do this. While some the files may be accessible on external storage (I know some of the older bell sattalite ones could), they are usually incrypted, and not normaly viewable.

Only real way is through a htpc as mentioned or a regular video capture device. Both of these will often only capture it in SD as well. There are some ways of doing it in HD but require more specialized hardware.

I Plan to Stick Around

Great, thanks for the replies. If I get a new style tv, I supposed I won't need this digital box any longer? So will I then be able to record on the vcr (or dvd recorder) like I did before, i.e. and watch a different channel than the one I'm recording?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nope

Analog tv (which is sd only anyways), was the only way that you could record via VCR/dvdr easily. All analog tv will be gone shortly (Rogers was one of the last ones doing it)

Each tv needs a digital box of some form (this goes for rogers, bell, and all TV providers).
You can use a VCR/dvdr to record the output, but you need to tune to the channel manually to record it (no more scheduling)

With a pvr, you can watch something and record at the same time, but again unfortunately, no real way to transport it around.

I Plan to Stick Around

My solution is a Hauppauge HD PVR.  It converts the component output of the Rogers HD box into a USB signal that can be captured on a PC.   The resulting file can be transferred to a thumb drive and played back with many media players.  I use a WD Live player.  This should do what you want with a minimum of fuss.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I concur, I have also heard great things about the Howpage HD PVR.  it converts the Analog HD Component signals into digital HD signals  that can be captured electronically into a small convenient Video file (not a usb)  but it CAN be copied onto a USB flash drive for transport, and the file technically should be able to be played back in most blue ray and media players.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That would be the more specialized hardware i was talking about Smiley Happy

Little more costly than a basic tv capture card. but they do work Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, still no scheduling, etc on it.  You would have to record something via PVR, and record it to the happuage while playing it, to get it on the PC. (or change the rogers box to the right channel, and record the output live at the time of broadcast)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

its also a bit on the technical side, not as user friendly as a pvr or dvd recorder or vcr.   its getting harder and harder to record tv signals for permanent archiving, if u havent noticed.