unlocking iphone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

unlocking iphone

I am considering purchasing an used iphone, which was on the Rogers network previously, but I do not use Rogers. Is it possible to get the phone unlocked so I can use it with my provider? 

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: unlocking iphone

The ONLY way to get the phone unlocked is Via jailbreak or another method. Rogers will NOT unlock the device for you. In order for Rogers to unlock the device for you, you must of have gotten the iPhone stragiht from Rogers either outright OR on a contract & have been with Rogers for more then 30 days. There is a few policies but in your case Rogers will not unlock it.

This is why i would buy a iPhone for the carrier i am going with. This is a issue with iPhone's. If you know you are going to another carrier, why not get a used iPhone for that carrier & simply not get the Rogers ones.

Also please read the other threads seeing as there is around 10+ threads made about this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

why dont you purchase a USED phone that was Factory Unloked? it might take u a little more work to find a seller, but im sure they exist

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Pauly the thing tho is that people with Factory unlocked phones want more money because its factory unlocked. I have met many people in which ask more because of that.

A few people tho will be nice & offer the phone even as factory unlocked for less if you explain to them you only have the money you have.
I'm an Enthusiast

Ya u can unlock it without jail break u need a code tho just use rogers there the best
I'm a Trusted Advisor

@sonyboyj. Please read the full thread before commenting. The phone is a Rogers iPhone but Rogers will not unlock it seeing as they never bought it from Rogers?..
I've Been Around

is it possible to unlock the phone outside canada? im not in canada right now but i need to use my phone. i can call rogers from skype to have the code is that possible?

I've Been Around

they will only give you the CODE if you pay $50, and DO NOT have a contract. Or your other option is to buy out yor contract and then, you pay another $50 to get it unlocked... which in my case they are telling me it will be $500 PLUS

I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't believe there is a "CODE" Rogers sends your imei or whatever the number is called and they send it to apple and apple provides the unlock when you next sync with itunes or maybe an over the air patch..

If you are buying a previously Rogers bound phone I would get the seller to unlock it first and verify that it is unlocked before you hand over the cash.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Chris is correct. Once you pay Rogers the $50 & are fully eligible then Rogers will send the IMEI number to Apple & once they get it, they will send a update to Itunes & once you plug your phone in, the phone will be unlocked.

This is the method i have heard from many that have done thing with Rogers.