switching phones, SIM cards and family plans

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

switching phones, SIM cards and family plans

I have a family plan with Rogers (contract) covering me, my wife and my daughter. I bought an unlocked I-phone 4S, which I will use instead of my 3G I-phone. From other posts I have learned that I can just move my SIM card to the new Iphone. Correct?

My real question though is whether I can give my 3G I-phone to my daughter who recently lost her Blackberry Pearl and purchase a new SIM card from Rogers to cover the rest of the contract length (1.5 yrs), or whether I would have to start a new 3yr term for my daughter. In which case it would not make sense to have her use my old I-phone.
Thanks.

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: switching phones, SIM cards and family plans

Yes, as long as the phones are unlocked like your new one, or like your old one, already locked to Rogers, there should be no issue with swapping them between people.

Now as for the sims, you MAY have to get a new one.  The 3g, i believe is a regular sim, so the replacement you got for hers, should work in there.

But if you're using a 4s, its a mini sim, so you would have to get your current sim switched over to a mini sim.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: switching phones, SIM cards and family plans

Yes, as long as the phones are unlocked like your new one, or like your old one, already locked to Rogers, there should be no issue with swapping them between people.

Now as for the sims, you MAY have to get a new one.  The 3g, i believe is a regular sim, so the replacement you got for hers, should work in there.

But if you're using a 4s, its a mini sim, so you would have to get your current sim switched over to a mini sim.

View solution in original post