speed vs bandwidth: give us a choice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: speed vs bandwidth: give us a choice

That is one word which bothers me in these sorts of topics.  "illegal"

Is there a major reason for a cap (they dont have enough to go around?, etc)??  No.
Is it great to have a high cap, or no cap at all? Of course.

Even though i might not use it, i would freely accept it 🙂

But its not illegal.  Its not like its a human right, to have unlimited internet.

With more companies releasing larger caps now again.. incuding their bigest competitor.. they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didnt... the question, as with everything with rogers sometimes.. is TIME.. how long 😞

mbazdell
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Is there a major reason for a cap (they dont have enough to go around?, etc)??  No.

But its not illegal.  Its not like its a human right, to have unlimited internet.

With more companies releasing larger caps now again.. incuding their bigest competitor.. they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didnt... the question, as with everything with rogers sometimes.. is TIME.. how long 😞

Really though, the Canadian ISP market is a monopoly of 2-3 major companies, and everything else is just a reseller that is at the mercy of the monopoly. Unlike the recent changes with cell phone providers. Price fixing is illegal, and so is price gouging. The implementation of data caps serves no purpose at all other than to gouge customers. The problem is, the people who are in charge of protecting customers think Facebook is the internet.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats were other parts of the world are lucky in some ways.

MANY of them, were later on the high speed bandwagon than canada/US.  BUT.. as they implemented it, at least in a few countries that i know, the infrastructure was put up by the GOVERNMENT.. so they own that part.. then the ISPs go off of it.  Its not owned by one company or another (like here).. and as well, adding it later on, has allowed for a newer more capable infrastructure.

_0101_
I Plan to Stick Around

Guys, let's keep this on topic, but I think we got some attention,  so that's great. I was hoping to get an admins reply, and I think we did.  Motly wanted to know that this idea might be possible, and how long until it could be put in place.

And to clarify, by bandwidth I mean the monthly 80gb data cap on my plan.  

mbazdell
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@_0101_ wrote:

Guys, let's keep this on topic, but I think we got some attention,  so that's great. I was hoping to get an admins reply, and I think we did.  Motly wanted to know that this idea might be possible, and how long until it could be put in place.

And to clarify, by bandwidth I mean the monthly 80gb data cap on my plan.  

I was merely adding clarification by asking why there is even data caps to begin with. There is no logical sense other than to gouge the customer further. Instead of asking for ways to give them more of your money, perhaps you should be demanding justification for the money you already do give them.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

You hit the nail on the head mbazdell!

pac_west227
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@mbazdell wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

Really though, the Canadian ISP market is a monopoly of 2-3 major companies, and everything else is just a reseller that is at the mercy of the monopoly. Unlike the recent changes with cell phone providers. Price fixing is illegal, and so is price gouging. The implementation of data caps serves no purpose at all other than to gouge customers. The problem is, the people who are in charge of protecting customers think Facebook is the internet.

It's called monopolistic competition or 2-3 oligopolies running the show. Perfect example is the OPEC cartel. Same script, different cast. That's the problem. Back in the day, it wasnt worth it to have perfect compeition. So the govt funded/partially funded 2-3 companies to build the infrastructure, laying down tracks and cables. The problem arose because these same 2-3-4 companies also owned both the demand and supply output of services and charged whatever they wanted; hence, the monopolistic effect. The govt didnt complain becaue they were receiving revenue and had a hand as part-owners so to speak. As the govt began to reduce their financial hand in things, total complete control was left to the oligopoly. The price consistently rose each year. Without competition, capital injection and investment declined with the lack of new tech. But because they controlled the supply and prices continuing to rise but shareholders including the govt were happy. Another reason why they were so slow to implement competition amd change decades ago. Only when customers recognized other newer monopolistic competitiors entered the market had better tech, services, products and lower pricing than current monopolies did they begin to complain to the govt to let the little guys in. Hence, the monopolistic competitors ended - sort of... However, the oligopolies still own the infrastructure and the little dudes have to run off those lines since they cannot capital invest to build their own. So it's pretty ironic to have pseudo perfect comeption system within a structure still owned by an oligopoly. ***side eye***     

ErikThaRed
I've Been Here Awhile

This is exactly why I recently switched to Tek Savvy.  I get 5 times the bandwidth cap for less per month, on the same speeds and I bought the modem, so no rental fees for that either.  They also offer an unlimitted bandwidth plan for about $20 more... still less than what I paid for rogers after going over my very low 60GB cap every month.

Tek Savvy is the best option right now.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

don't forget, its not always about who is cheaper, ive had nothing but headaches with those "discount" resellers that people like to big up about, you must also rememer, companies that cut costs means they can cut costs anywhere in their business including cutting customer service, if companies do this you will have an awfull experiene, i dunno about you but i dont want to wait 3-5 months for a resolution when ive been billed twice for my internet and mind you these re-sellers charge you a year upfront, so imagine a whole year times two, and waiting 5 months for a resolution when they inadvertingly bill you errorously twice, whitch DOES happen, and it happens often, just read up on the net and you will see, im not trying to Defend rogers here but im happy to say they DO offer great levels of support that I'm HAPPY to pay a little more for my service knowing i will get service when ever and where ever i need it and one thing important, to talk to a live human being who actually lives in canada two.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Techsavvy, i have generaly heard good things about.  And i dont blame someone who leaves for them if they do.

But remember, a competitor is not always an option for everyone (and im not talking just because of a contract).
The newer fibe options.. are great.  But only limited coverage area.
Same with TSI.. while yes they go off rogers networks, they only have that coverage in certian areas.

(IE: I cant get either of the above where i am, but can get top tier rogers if i wanted)

Remember, its finding the best option, with what you can afford, with whats available to you.