speed vs bandwidth: give us a choice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: speed vs bandwidth: give us a choice

I understand what you are saying about the lite. (and i agree the caps there need to be a little higher).

Looking back on his posts, he appears to be on express (said he upgraded to a D3 to get the 80g cap).

If he is looking in a DROP in speed, in return for some bandwidth.. that was more along what i was sugesting.
If he didnt need the speed... drop down to lite, and ADD the unlimited. (assuming you CAN add the unlimited).
ASSUMING they meet the requirements for the $10 addon of it, would bring the lite to the express price, but with more bandwidth and less speed.  (At the $30 for unlimited, much more costly).

just giving an option.

Personaly.. with the east coast having some 500g plans tested out there.. and the unlimited package thing at the moment till the 31st for signup.. i am wondering if there may be some package changes comming soon.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@jays77 wrote:
I think what _0101_ was asking for was just some extra bandwidth with the lower speed. Not unlimited bandwidth. Like I mentioned in the above post keep the speed I have now just adding 20-40 gb extra to my existing pklan would be just fine.

I can just hear Rogers now, "We currently offer a variety of different packages to suit your needs". The problem though is that Rogers has never asked their customers what their actual needs are. As customers, Rogers has somehow decided that they already know what our needs are, so they create the packages and we, as customers must choose - whether we like them or not. 

Rogers has already determined that speed and bandwidth are related (which may or may not be true depending upon the customer), so the more you want of either, the more you are forced to pay a higher price for a better package. So while the speed of Lite may be satisfactory for you jays77, the bandwidth is not. What Rogers really wants you to do is to upgrade your package to Express (or even higher) and pay a higher price. If they gave you a higher bandwidth with your Lite service without increasing the speed, you would be much less likely to upgrade. It all boils down to money!

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, that's exactly it: I Was fine with the 18MB speed I had on the non-Docsis modem, but in order to get my free data cap upgrade to 80gb (from 60) I had to go Docsis, (they increased the speed at the same time, assuming EVERY customer wants more speed anyway).

If I could edit the subject the line of this thread from bandwidth to data cap I would, it doesn't appear that I can, my mistake.

Anyhow, thanks for the replies, I certainly hope this acts as a reminder to CSR reps that alot of customers would love this topic to finally be addressed.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers does not address issues - they dictate. They dictate what the plans will be; they dictate what kind of modem you will use in order to get those plans; they dictate how long you have in order to sign up for unlimited Internet. The bottom line is that it is Rogers way or the highway!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Really thats the way, with ANY company.

A good company, will listen to its customers, and make changes (within reason) to benifit its customers and them.... but in the end, they do have the final say (well, within laws, etc).

Like you says their way or the highway.
We all have the choice.. if we dont like it, we can leave.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I tried contacting them on Twitter, and got a reply within an hour, except just asking if I had feedback or account related issues, when I clearly said I had feedback.  That was it, no further response.

I'm about to go over my monthly limit again, and had another new idea for the R&D crew at Rogers to take all the credit for: how about implementing a data bank system where unused bandwidth can go into a virtual bank that can carry over from month to month (up to a potential limit if they want to be sticklers about it) so that high usage months have a buffer available in case you need more than your regular allotted amount but can't justify to buy the new package upgrade.

Since I had no response on my idea of giving us the option to choose a speed in return for more monthly data usage, I'll try to approach it from this angle.  I think my next attempt will be to write a letter to the guy at Rogers who still sends me mail when I've already opted for paperless billing, he seems to have a lot of time on his hands.  Smiley Mad

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

any sort of 'adds' mail, is different that than the paperless billing.  You would need to log into your myrogers, and go into your preferences, and you can turn off paper mailings for advertisments, etc in there.

I am all for a change in how things are done.. a 'flex' type usage like you said.. or just higher caps period.

Until then, if you are not aware _0101_, there is the UNLIMITED addon currently available.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes I am aware of the unlimited add-on, thanks for the suggestion, however I do not subscribe to television nor do I want to, so I suspect I wouldn't qualify.   I'm not looking for unlimited, just a more realistic number that suits today's online lifestyles.

For example, look at the small town in ALberta who put in their own fibre network in town to keep business from leaving.  They make no mention of data caps, and look at the speeds they get!  There's something wrong when fibre customers have potentially unlimited data usage and us little guys are scraping the bottom with 80gb/month.  How is that practical in today's world of Netflix and digital download games?

Now there's a rate increase coming August 24th, has anyone heard of data cap increase as well?  

It's truly unfortunate that Rogers is not more vocal when it comes to keeping in touch with us on topics such as this, when smaller co's are slowing chipping away at new customers

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I was at the Rogers building yesterday for the soft launch of the new nextbox for Ontario.

The guy there did briefly mention there are some changes upcoming to Internet to put them more in line with the others. That's all that was said, no details or date.
But when looking at most of the others providing a higher cap, I am hoping that is more what the change is.

I Plan to Stick Around

That's a quick reply kitty! Thanks. Seems you're not the only one either, my post was edited " as it violated the "Keep it spam-free" section of the community guidelines."  but more like to remove the evidence of competitors plans offering a better deal.  Maybe we're finally getting some attention, funny how posts get edited but no acknowledgment of message recieved.