speed vs bandwidth: give us a choice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

speed vs bandwidth: give us a choice

Thankyou for the speed upgrade on cable internet, I'm sure many customers will love it, I once would loved to have had even more speed. However alot of us are happy with our speeds as they were but find we could use more bandwidth per month.  It must be possible to allow a customer the choice of higher speeds or more bandwidth, is it not?  I urge you to consider this feature, I'm sure it will give you another edge over the competition.

***edited labels***

Retired Moderator RogersSarah
Retired Moderator

Re: speed vs bandwidth: give us a choice

Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback. I don't have any information to share about that at the moment, but we'll keep everyone posted.

@RogersSarahM

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@_0101_ wrote:

Thankyou for the speed upgrade on cable internet, I'm sure many customers will love it, I once would loved to have had even more speed. However alot of us are happy with our speeds as they were but find we could use more bandwidth per month.  It must be possible to allow a customer the choice of higher speeds or more bandwidth, is it not?  I urge you to consider this feature, I'm sure it will give you another edge over the competition.

True, why not have customized internet packages where one can choose a specific speed for certain cost and then chose specific bandwidth for a certain cost. Then add the 2 together for one final price. Shouldnt be hard to do if you have the proper modem for it which can also be customized in the price. Simple actually... the csr screen would show drop down windows for speed, bandwidth, modem type under internet.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi Sarah, Maybe you can answer me this question. Why are there data caps any ways? The only thing I can come up with is Rogers wants to financially impact its customers who actually use the service. It's not like Rogers only has 100TB and has to split it up amongst their customers. They have unlimited. They do have limited bandwidth. Would it not make more sense for the people who are deemed to be hurting the overall performance of the network be throttled to a slower rate (after it has been proven there is an actual effect)? Data caps and bandwidth have nothing to do with each other, and only stand as a way for Rogers to continue to gouge its customers who have no choice but to subscribe to the monopoly which is the Canadian ISP consortium and for some reason has never been found to be illegal. But... again... If you can answer the question, that'd be swell. Thanks.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I think you hit the nail on the head mbazdell. It all boils down to money. 

Back about 12 years ago when I first signed on with Rogers - they had one Internet service. It was called Hi Speed Internet - one price with unlimited usage. Eventually they began to offer more plans with different speeds. Of course, if you wanted a faster speed, well Rogers has just the plan for you - at a higher price of course. Then their competition introduced bandwidth caps and Rogers was very adamant that they had no plans whatsoever to do the same. People then flocked from the competition to Rogers in order to avoid the bandwidth caps. Then low and behold, Rogers introduces bandwidth caps of their own, despite their promise not to do so. Now we have the same situation with bandwidth that we have with speed  - if your package does not provide you with enough usage, then Rogers has a plan for you - at a higher price of course. For those who remain on their current plan and exceed their usage limit - well Rogers will charge you for that as well, not to mention increasing the maximum charge by 100% - from $50 to $100 per month for something that costs only pennies per GB!

@IHR wrote:

I think you hit the nail on the head mbazdell. It all boils down to money. 

Back about 12 years ago when I first signed on with Rogers - they had one Internet service. It was called Hi Speed Internet - one price with unlimited usage. Eventually they began to offer more plans with different speeds. Of course, if you wanted a faster speed, well Rogers has just the plan for you - at a higher price of course. Then their competition introduced bandwidth caps and Rogers was very adamant that they had no plans whatsoever to do the same. People then flocked from the competition to Rogers in order to avoid the bandwidth caps. Then low and behold, Rogers introduces bandwidth caps of their own, despite their promise not to do so. Now we have the same situation with bandwidth that we have with speed  - if your package does not provide you with enough usage, then Rogers has a plan for you - at a higher price of course. For those who remain on their current plan and exceed their usage limit - well Rogers will charge you for that as well, not to mention increasing the maximum charge by 100% - from $50 to $100 per month for something that costs only pennies per GB!

Point blank, period.. LOL!!  Speak the truth.com. I used to be on internet LITE package back in the day because I was in university and didnt want to pay extra. I could tolerate the slower speeds for lower price. Back then I remember the speed wasnt far off from the current Express package like 10-12 mbs and the bandwidth was like 50gb or so... I rarely got above 35gb a month. Then rogers started lowering caps just to bump you into the Express category to pay more.  SMH. Now I see the Lite package is down to 20gb's a month and capped speed 6mbs!!  Basically telling all the lite customers pay up or leave.. and if you left you lost the bundled discount on other rogers services like cell, homefone, cable from 15% down to 10% or less depending what you had with rogers. So you got screwed either way whether you left or stayed. 

How ironic this is. I get home to see the notice of 75% of my internet has been used this month. it looks like I have 10 days left to not use 40GB. What a crock. I pay $100 a month for this service and this month will probably pay more because... well.. Why not? Rogers needs to make their money I suppose.

**edited for content**

I'm a Senior Advisor

But Rogers will welcome you to change to a plan "that is more suitable to your needs" - at a higher price of course!

@mbazdell wrote:

How ironic this is. I get home to see the notice of 75% of my internet has been used this month. it looks like I have 10 days left to not use 40GB. What a crock. I pay $100 a month for this service and this month will probably pay more because... well.. Why not? Rogers needs to make their money I suppose.

**edited for content**

What rogers pack do you have? Sounds like you have the Extreme or extreme plus? Here's what Bell offers in comparison.

They call it  Bell 50/50 plan. 250GB bandwidth, speed 50/50.  In a bell bundle $49, regular after promo $82.  Looks enticing already.

I have the ultimate at 250GB cap. Just to be clear, speed is bandwidth. What Rogers has is a data cap which should be illegal.