cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow internet speed issues

theeraser90
I've Been Here Awhile

i've been having a weird internet problem for the last 2 months and i opened a rogers support ticket they havent fixed my issue until now so i thought why not post it here .

ok so i have the 250 down package was getting my full speed and everything fine until the problem started and video streaming websites are now extremely slow (i.e youtube) a video at 480p keeps buffering when in the past i could load a 4k60fps video in seconds . on (speedtest.net) i always test with 4 different servers on this website when the problem started on 3 of them (servers) the speed went down from 300 down to (20) down yes 300 to (20) . a couple of days ago at like 3 am for 5 min or so my internet problems were all solved youtube was extremely fast again and all the servers on speedtest.net speeds were 300+ again. but then after 5 to 10min the problems were back again . i am getting really frustrated it's been 2months like this and i think i will cancel my subscription with rogers if i dont find help in the next week or so.

couple of extra info 

1- my upload speed hasnt changed always cosistant full speed on all servers

2-  rogers sent a tech to my house and changed all the equipment it didnt help

3- downloading from somewebsites i get full speed while on most others max (20)

4- it seems that something is capping my speed because every where there is an issue the speed is exactly around (20) which is weird that it's always at the same speed

5- this happens 24/7 it didnt go away since it started except a couple of days ago

6- i have multiple devices in my house which i test my speed on 2 laptops and 1 pc and 1 iphone

7-whenever iam testing the speed i connect my testing device wired not wireless

8- i did reset and reboot and exchanged the modem and all equipment in my house it didnt help

9- i have the unlimited download package 

sorry for the long topic just trying to share all the info i got

thanks for help in advance

***Edited Labels***

115 REPLIES 115

Re: slow internet speed issues

pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I've called them at least 6 times already....all I get is "work is being done" or "there's noise on the line needing fixing".   They seem to be taking an awfully long time.

If I'm lucky enough to get a rep in Toronto, they seem to know that there is an ongoing issue that is unresolved (despite that infernal robot phoning me to say the opposite).

I even managed to coax a $20 refund out of Customer Relations at one stage it was so bad.   Back then it was up and down at least 6 - 10 times daily.   Now it seems to slow, slower, very fast, dead, fast again....very bizarre.

I'm too busy running 2 websites to be forever on the phone.  I'll let someone else do the complaining that way.

I can't help feeling that they are trying to compress signals just a little too much to get everything they put out on those cables.

Peter
Toronto

ChubbsPeterson
I've Been Here Awhile

An update on my intermittent issue...

Techs were here for about 20 minutes this morning and determined the arial cable needs to be replaced.  I am expecting an appointment in the next few days when Rogers can get a few more techs with longer ladders.

Ahh, progress.  Please keep us informed on the end results 🙂

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

Speeds have gone back to being consistently fast for me today.  Again, I'm on the 100/10 package, and today my download speeds have ranged from 150 to 190 over WiFi.  I'll keep testing over the next few days.

torontodigitalq
I Plan to Stick Around

My Internet has has been slow all day, can't view videos slow site to site, it's not just on my street as tech support pretends or modem problems it's all over southern Ontario according to  canadianoutages website Rogers should admit they have a serious problem and fix it. I am paying for 100 Bpm but getting 30.

Personally? I dont trust the canadian outages site.
EVERY time i go there.. says my WHOLE area is out.   And its NOT.. and i am getting full 100% speed.

Its all based on USER reports for the outages.
Yes, someone may be not able to get on the internet.. and they report it.
But it could be just their house, their modem specific... even something INTERNAL just their PC, etc..  But the site doesnt know that.

If you want, we can help a few things to help troubleshoot to see how/why you might only be getting less.

Which Modem do you have?
How are you connecting.. wired or wireless?

Are you able to post your signal levels, by loging into your modem?

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor
Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread. Here it as (my experience from testing over the last week):

So I've been testing my speed over the last several days throughout each day. Speeds between 8pm and 10pm are definitely very inconsistent - sometimes perfectly fine and other times very bad to the point where I barely get 10Mbit down. Also notice my pings sky rocket from 8ms to over 40ms when the speeds tank. All of this is me testing wirelessly and wired (tried both router and directly to CGN3). I'm fairly confident that it's due to node congestion. Anyone know if there's a way to get Rogers to check the node without having them come into the house? I'm afraid I know the answer to that question is probably "no" but thought I'd ask anyway. I just don't want any of their techs making a mess of my wiring. I have not had one decent experience with the techs.

Either node congestion..

Or signal load issue.

I had that a few years back.. the whole street was having issues, ONLY durring prime time. (5-10pm).. rest of day fine.  Node was fine.. it was something where when there was a full load on the lines, that a 'break' or problem somewhere, showed up.
They eneded up replacing one of the lines on the street that ours connected to to fix it.

Speed a lttle better this morning 46 Mbps D/L but no where near the 70 Mbps I usually get. Paying for
Rogers Ignite 100u. Rogers is supposed to email me,  when outage fixed, so far they haven't.

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor
@Gdkitty, tonight was one of the worst nights. From approx 8:30 to 9:30, speeds really tanked and pings were horrible. I could barely get 3Mb down and my pings were over 300ms. I finally called it in. Spoke to a fairly knowledgeable rep. After gathering all of my info including street address and postal code, he pinged my modem and several others in the neighbourhood - all of them were very bad. He was pretty confident there's an issue at the node or local cable boxes by the curb. He escalated a ticket to dispatch a technician. Expecting a call within 72 hours. We'll see...

Keep calling in and make sure the problem is recorded at every call.  Did you get a ticket number that you can refer to when you call in?

I agree with that.

Even though the tech is scheduled out.. call in EVERY night that it happens.. have them mark the call, etc.
Builds up a record.

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

Will do.  Any yes, I got the ticket number 🙂

pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor

This seems to be an ongoing, off-and-on issue in many areas of the Rogers network.

I wonder what's going on?  They've changed something to cause all this.  I've had patchy service since just after Christmas and opened about 5 tickets on it to no avail.

Peter
Toronto

RadioStar
I Plan to Stick Around

The internet with Rogers is useless at best and only good for streaming netflix, any application that requires a decent internet is affected to the point where it is unusable in the evening and weekends.

I have called more that 2 dozen times, had techs bla bla.  Through the years, I gave up on Rogers for my TV, Cellphone, Homephone all due to its customer service.

I only ever stuck in for the internet because at least for streaming it seemed the 100u package was good but only for streaming.

Well, Bell is installing fiber in my building this month.  I am calling them today and will have them switch me from this Internet and excuse laden customer service and techs and will go to fiber, adios Rogers.

13 years a customer and now that Bell won my cell, homephone and soon to be internet and TV it seems like a bad dream.

You cannot expect people to pay premium cash for this.

***Edited Labels***

RadioStar
I Plan to Stick Around

I have experienced this for years and have logged numerous calls to rogers, I am owed at least 20 hours of my time.  Plain and simple I believe Rogers has oversold its internet real estate and with so many ignite packages that are in service where is the bandwidth?

Every home that has ignite is competing on the nodes for bandwidth.  during the day, my speeds race, but alas I am not home much during the day unless i am off work.  When I am home in the evenings, as soon as 7 rolls around the internet starts slowing down.  

Plus it is my belief that packet loss which everyone has been complaining about stems from Speed Boost, they prioritize everyones downloads for the first 50 mb, so anyone who lives in a building, or a congested street who has neighbors with multiple connections and who stream lots of vids, or movies or torrent are robbing the rest from bandwidth and most likely cause large drops in speed for others.

This whole speed boost tech is shady.  You have to believe in buildings that are more than 50 units and have rogers, if they all had speed boost, and many streaming it will affect your connection to the outside net.  I have witnessed it every day and every weekend for the past 3 years with my speeds dropping to a crawling 5mb down from a 100u package....

Bell is however installing giga fiber this month, I am going to book a switch while they are at it, my whole building is currently Rogers, but as soon as fiber comes I go.

I am done with Rogers excuses and terrible customer service.

I think that is part of the key.... how and where..

That there are areas which are WAY oversold and cause issues..
That, or that there is hardware problems which are failing under heavy loads.

I live in an area which is more than likely NOT undersold (smaller town, but growning).

I am on the 100u service as well, and durring prime time, can easily be downloading, playing an online game (WoW usually) and streaming netflix, etc.. without issue.

RadioStar
I Plan to Stick Around

True, I live downtown Toronto in a mid rise building and in my neighborhood it is extremely populated with people.  Weekends and evenings the internet is horrible, early morning and weekdays the internet is great.  Makes me wish I worked nights to at least get the speeds I pay for... but nobody should have to wish to receive what they pay for.

It should be given without question.

torontodigitalq
I Plan to Stick Around

I agree with you about Rogers Internet packages, they are very confusing. I watch a lot of TV series but not through Shomi, so wanted an unlimited. I am happy with Rogers services in general, even though their Internet packes are the highest in Toronto.

Up to 100bps and above is an misleading advertising gimick, my speed is now averaging 50bps (100u unlimited). I am not begruding Rogers making money on data sales

There are now six different packages, I just wish Rogers were more honest about download speeds for the average user and price the services accordingly, cheaper would would be nice, but unlikely to happen.

RadioStar
I Plan to Stick Around

It is not that they are confusing, but that the connections are awful during peak periods.  This slideshow will show the effects of peak hours on my net.  Pay attention to the date and times and also look at the ping and most importantly the Jitter, Jitter is upwards of 120ms, that makes this internet unuseable.  Way too much Jitter for gaming or skype etc., Rogers should be concerned about the quality of its product, as of now its 3rd world.  2 pings to google were so bad and jitter, pings to pvp.net and league of legends servers during peak are similar and the game is unplayable.  In fact no application is useable and even streaming takes forever buffering.  

Rogers should be ashamed of themselves for providing such bad internet and not fulfilling on its promise of fast and reliable, high speed internet.  They have denied this problem for years and if they lose customers its due to the poor quality they are selling.   Originally they always tried to blame Riot Servers, but clearly google.ca shows the same results and if you look at the ips the culprits are owned by Rogers, they are Rogers Nodes causing the issue.  Plain as day.  The other IPs are League of Legends and any Jitter and latency there in peak times is being brought on by the Rogers Nodes.  I can only expect good connections using Rogers during early, early morning.  Rest of day forget it, my internet is a Toaster and provide no better connections than 1980 dial up.  For this and all the years of complaining to Rogers without any sign of improvement I am taking my 100.00 month elsewhere and will change my alarm system as well, my hands will wash of Rogers and I hope other people start following suit until they learn to get their act together.  Unfair pricing for bad internet quality and poor customer service.  They have faced a class action lawsuit in the past for capping gaming services, I continue to log network results daily and I can see another one in the future for them if this continues and if one were to arise someday, I am on board.

Clipboard00.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

Clipboard05.jpg

RadioStar
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, this will be my last entry to this topic, it is the long weekend Family Day and this day now like any other holiday my Internet just became a toaster and its only noon time.  Again you can see where the issues lie.  Rogers Nodes are so overwhelmed that my internet is literally useless for anything that requires a stable connection.  This happens EVERY weekend and long weekend.  Evenings through the week until around midnight.  So clearly Rogers needs to get out of excuses and get to solutions.  This is ridiculous and they are not honoring the packages they sell at all.  There is nothing reliable about this network.  Just observe the packet loss on the second image, how the . is anyone supposed to do anything with this type of connection.  Rogers should be refunding its customers for this bad service.

Clipboard06.jpg

Clipboard07.jpg

Clipboard08.jpg

Topic Stats