skype in the market | UMA for android

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

skype in the market | UMA for android

it's on market but i can't run it on my bell branded HTC desire Z http://is.gd/skype_on_market it installs, but i can't sign in. 

I would like to try skype in the mobile envronment, to see if it's worth paying for a monthly supscription.

If there's an android app being beta tested for UMA for the rogers network ( A.K.A wi-fi calling) I would be interested in partaking.

I'm curious to see the native SIP inside gingerbread, but I'm not quite ready to try rooting my DZ.

***edited labels***

Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: skype in the market | UMA for android

UMA isnt something that is applied through an application. It is something that has to be built into the hardware of the device and so far only BB and a couple of NOK cellphones have this ability included.

As for your issues with the Skype application if your able to download the App then you may want to contact Skype's support as sign-in issues would be supported by them.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Skype works great for me on my Rogers Captivate.  But it didn't log in until I got Froyo.   

I have never used it while on the run, so I don't know if it will hand off from cell tower to cell tower....ie if the Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) works.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

not really built into the hardware, but more like built into the OS of the phone. since it routes voice calls over a secure wi-fi stream that is authenticated by a special option on your account. not something anyone can whip together with a google android app, special rogers programmers must write this as it connects to a special Node-B that handles and authenticates your privledges

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Yeah I guess it isnt quite built into the hardware but is does have to be enabled in the devices structure.

i.e. Blackberry 8520 and Blackberry 8900 both run 5.0.0.900 as newest Rogers certified software

Blackberry 8520 is NOT UMA enabled

Blackberry 8900 IS UMA enabled

Both are similiar in hardware components so there must be an extra something that enables the UMA ability beyond software.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

actually, blackberry 8520 IS UMA enabled well atleast mine is.  perhaps you have an older os that does not contain the code?

its all software mang, software and lots of it

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Heh Blackberry has too many numbers. You are indeed correct the 8520 is UMA supported.

The device I should have referenced was the BB9000. Again 5.0.0.900 as newest certified software but is not UMA-compatible.

My mistake,

Cheers!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks for you input! and FYI i gave up trying to use my original skype ID and just created a new one and i was able to log in. works awesome!