cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I get a Captivate ?????

workingman
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm that close to signing up for one , but have never had a contract before , let alone a smartphone ! I basically want to check e-mail and surf the net while at work . Any input would be appreciated . I've asked quite a few different people ( tech savy ) and they say captivate is the way to go . Money isn't an issue , I'd just like to make sure I don't regret my purchase . Thanks in advance for any input !

WORKINGMAN

***edited labels***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: should I get a Captivate ?????

shust82
I Plan to Stick Around

Captivate is great for me, but i would wait for the samsung galaxy s2 if I were you. 5x the phone captivate is.......

link

workingman
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply . When does the s2 come out ? I'm not in desperate need , but wouldn't want too long a wait - any ideas ?

shust82
I Plan to Stick Around
No official release date has been made for canadian release. The international version (which is compatible in canada) is supposed to be released in the first quarter of 2011

kc
I Plan to Stick Around

I wish i had gone with the iphone 3 or 4 ..... the captivate has been nothing but a pain in the ____.

Todays problem is emails coming in off my work exchange server have news or sports message links in the body of the email and nothing else. .....WTF!

I saw a similar problem noted in some forum somewhere .... got to go hunt it down and look for a solution. I was hoping 2.2 would clean up most issues .... not the case.

Kurt

workingman
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow , that Galaxy S2 is incredible ! I think the Skype feature alone sold me on it ! I can hold on for a little longer if need be . Maybe I'll get a used / refurbished and go month to month for a while , rather than get tied to a contract . Any suggestions on how to "bridge" my time until the S2 comes out ?????

BGrant
I Plan to Stick Around

The captivate (Or any newer Android device for that matter) is what you make it.  If you are expecting it to be 100% everything you want without any modification, you will be dissapointed.

On the other hand, if you are willing to download applications or spend a little time with the device you will find it far superior to anything Apple makes.  Don't like something in the Captivate?  You can change it with very little effort.

My Captivate for example has almost zero of the original Samsung software in it.  I've changed almost everything, and so far it has far surpassed my expectations and has easily been the best phone I've ever owned.

justbkoz
I've Been Here Awhile

Last year I was almost ready to get the available Android phone. I decided to wait - I don't like getting the first edition (draft) of technology.  I am glad I did.  A friend with the Spica says he kind of regrets it.  A friend with a 2 year old iphone wishes she had waited, after seeing mine.

My favourite things: the screen (super AMOLED), the customizeable 'desktop' that makes it feel like a computer, the quick ability to multitask and jump back and forth between tasks.

AND I haven't even tapped into all the possibilities or even tried Skype yet.

That's just my experience / opinion.  Of course it depends what kind of phone you've got now and what kind of learning curve you will be comfortable with.

video 'smashes' two screens to compare, but AMOLED is so flexible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8S8tbQMp2k

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation