setting a wireless connection with my laptod

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ricardodesant
I've Been Here Awhile

setting a wireless connection with my laptod

I am trying to set up a wireless connection to my laptod. The ip with the router http://192.168.0.1 is not working .

I went to start  in my computer and then to run and get default gateway 99.x.x.x

What should I do now. ? when I go to this gateway I found this

IP Address [?] : 99.229.x.x

Hostname [?] : CPE00161XXXXX-CM00195XXXXXXX.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com [>> WhoIs]

Remote Port: 2161 Protocol: HTTP/1.1

Connection: Keep-Alive Keep Alive:

Please help ....... Router is DIR-601   D- LINK

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
DigiDis
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: setting a wireless connection with my laptod

I tried editing my post again but the option wasnt there, there must be a timeout on that option or something.. anyways I thought Id provide some clarification, aside of your circumstances, on how to normally set up a wireless connection.

If this is your first time setting up a wireless connection, you will need to make sure your router is properly configured. Sometimes by default it is already broadcasting a default set up of a wireless network. You would usually see this when you go to the computer you want to connect to the network and choose the option to see nearby wireless networks, it should be the one with the strongest signal and be called something generic, in this case of a Dlink it should be called default. If you see it its just a matter of selecting that network, and it should connect no problem, pending any passwords or configurations. If you do not see that, either its called something else, or the wireless radio on the router is off or the network is hidden.

If that is the case, it will need to be configured. The easiest way to do that is to connect to it by ethernet cord. Once it is connected, it should quickly register that it is connected. you can then go into the run command like you did before and type in "cmd". that'll make a black window appear. in that window type in IPCONFIG. If it is giving you the information you reported earlier here, there is something going on. Usually it will say the default gateway is 192.168.0.1 or something similar. whatever it says in the default gateway is what you will type into your browsers address bar and hit enter. That should take you to a login page. Refer to your user guide for the router for your passwords, im not going to post the defaults here, especially since you posted your ip address.

Once you login you should be able to properly configure your router to turn on the wireless radio, and/or see what the network is called and set up some type of protection for your network in terms of encryption. Then after that is set up, you should be able to connect with your wireless laptop.

If you seen that strange 99.299 type IP address when you typed in IPCONFIG, then again that signals something fundamentally wrong with your setup.

If you already knew all/most of this, I sincerely apologize, the issue as described seems to me a little ambiguous, and I wanted to cover all the bases. I hope this information is helpful.

View solution in original post

All Replies
DigiDis
I Plan to Stick Around

is the ip address that you gave the address to the computer that is attempting to connect remotely, or do you have another computer hard wired into the router? That IP address does not look like a local address and looks like its connecting past the router directly to the internet.It sounds like your router has been specifically configured to give that computer direct access to the internet.

Just as a bit of general information, its not a good idea to post that kind of IP address on an online open forum as it can be looked up online among other things, and certain websites that do IP address logging will show up in google searches if you have posted there before. you can edit it out though by going to "Options" in the upper right of your original post, and if you're logged in to the same account, edit post, and x out the last 3 numbers in that IP address (example 99.229.145.XXX), and post that. that will provide enough information to help you with your situation, and keep your identity safe.

I hope this helps somewhat

DigiDis
I Plan to Stick Around

I tried editing my post again but the option wasnt there, there must be a timeout on that option or something.. anyways I thought Id provide some clarification, aside of your circumstances, on how to normally set up a wireless connection.

If this is your first time setting up a wireless connection, you will need to make sure your router is properly configured. Sometimes by default it is already broadcasting a default set up of a wireless network. You would usually see this when you go to the computer you want to connect to the network and choose the option to see nearby wireless networks, it should be the one with the strongest signal and be called something generic, in this case of a Dlink it should be called default. If you see it its just a matter of selecting that network, and it should connect no problem, pending any passwords or configurations. If you do not see that, either its called something else, or the wireless radio on the router is off or the network is hidden.

If that is the case, it will need to be configured. The easiest way to do that is to connect to it by ethernet cord. Once it is connected, it should quickly register that it is connected. you can then go into the run command like you did before and type in "cmd". that'll make a black window appear. in that window type in IPCONFIG. If it is giving you the information you reported earlier here, there is something going on. Usually it will say the default gateway is 192.168.0.1 or something similar. whatever it says in the default gateway is what you will type into your browsers address bar and hit enter. That should take you to a login page. Refer to your user guide for the router for your passwords, im not going to post the defaults here, especially since you posted your ip address.

Once you login you should be able to properly configure your router to turn on the wireless radio, and/or see what the network is called and set up some type of protection for your network in terms of encryption. Then after that is set up, you should be able to connect with your wireless laptop.

If you seen that strange 99.299 type IP address when you typed in IPCONFIG, then again that signals something fundamentally wrong with your setup.

If you already knew all/most of this, I sincerely apologize, the issue as described seems to me a little ambiguous, and I wanted to cover all the bases. I hope this information is helpful.

View solution in original post

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi DigiDis,

Thanks for participating in our Community Forums and offering helpful solutions!

You're right, you do have a time limit to edit your posts, it's set at two hours.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Have you had wireless working on the laptop before? If you wire the connection does it work properly?

ricardodesant
I've Been Here Awhile

Than you to everyone for the info > I ahve the connection resolved now but I can not edit the post to erase my info .please help I have seen like 10 attents now to enter my Pc

ricardodesant
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you digidis, everything is ok now. I thank you also for the inforamion on the safety part ,
Netbug
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I realize this has been resolved, but I just wanted to comment based upon the symptoms described.

I'm GUESSING that you are using a Rogers SMC Gateway the Gateway was dropped into Bridge mode somehow.

If the IP that shows on the local machine behind a router is not 192.168.*.* then, as stated by DigiDis, this is a public IP and the Router is not actually routing, but acting as simply a bridge (if it's a Rogers Gateway) or switch (if it's a personal router).