rogersyahoo@service.yahoo-email.com scam, spam, spoof

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

rogersyahoo@service.yahoo-email.com scam, spam, spoof

I just receive this spoof from rogersyahoo@service.yahoo-email.com. Please do not response to this solitation of clicking to upgrade your yahoo mail.

First of all it service.yahoo-email.com is not a legitimate rogers.com or yahoo.com email address. Secondly notice that the sender does not know my name, it addresses me as Dear Rogers Yahoo member. Ya everybody is a Dear Rogers Yahoo member.

Someone from rogers.com or yahoo.com should put out an announcement to warning unsuspecting users from clicking the link and provide username and password.

***edited labels***

I've Been Around

Re: rogersyahoo@service.yahoo-email.com scam, spam, spoof

Thought you might want to see this email coming to emails from departmenthr@rogers.com

i know it is a bad email but wanted to bring its attention to you

From =?utf-8?Q?MasterCard=C2=AE/Visa_card=C2=AE_Award=2E?= Wed Mar 27 14:39:12 2013
X-Apparently-To: ross_m0007@yahoo.ca via 72.30.236.202; Thu, 28 Mar 2013 05:30:00 +0000
Return-Path: <brubru_contro@aluno.ibb.unesp.br>

Congratulations you have been approved to claim the sum of £500,000.00 in the MasterCard®/Visa card® Award. You are to email Mrs Anthonia at: departmenthr@rogers.com for claims or call Tel  +44-797-417-9922

I've Been Here Awhile

The email text is:

Dear Rogers Yahoo member,

We are currently in the process of making some changes to better protect your email and personal information. These changes require updates to Rogers Yahoo Mail settings in your mail program (MS Outlook, Outlook Express, Mac Mail, etc.) on all your computers and other devices.

Please click here for simple instructions on how to make the necessary changes to settings in your mail program.

Completing this process will help ensure that your email service continues without interruption.

Thank you,
Rogers Yahoo Mail Team

Yahoo
I've Been Here Awhile

So this email is a scam?
I'm an Advisor

I got this email long ago. Of course it's spam. This is a classic phishing scam trying to get your personal information.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Always take ANY email from ANYONE with a grain of salt.. and scruitinize them.

• First thing like the OP did, check the email addres.  IN this case, was kind of of.  BUT the email can be faked and show up as a LEGIT one.. so dont only go by this.
  • Check the LINKS.  Dont actually click on them..  but as long as you have your web browsers status bar at the bottom, etc.. when you mouse over a link.. it will show the ACTUALL link.  Often the link TEXT on the email may show as being a legit one, but it actually takes you to a different site when connected.
  • One other thing to possibly do (easier on some email setups than others), is check the EMAIL HEADERS.  This shows WHERE the email originated from.  In there, there is usualy a SENDING server IP address.  You can look this one up in an IP WHOIS on the internet.. and see where its from.. from the correct sender.. or say from china or somewhere else, trying to steal  your info.

I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

Excellent advice as usual. I especially like the checking the email header one. With Outlook, for instance, it's very simple. To see it, right click on an email and select Message Options.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

🙂

Just took a peek in the new webmail.

Looks like if you open the email.. then click on the MORE.. then there is a VIEW FULL HEADER option.

I've Been Around

Here's one I received today..          Rogers Yahoo! IT Help Desk Alert

Alert From Rogers Yahoo!

Rogers Yahoo! IT Help Desk just discovered that someone recently tried to access your Rogers Yahoo! account.

We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was an email hijacker trying to access your account illegally.

Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:26:44 PM UTC
IP Address: 24.182.211.14 (24-182-211-14.static.ftwo.tx.charter.com)

Rogers Yahoo! IT Help Desk have already shielded your account from hijackers, but to fully upgrade to a more secured Rogers Yahoo! plan, please follow the Rogers Yahoo! link below for account re-verification and Upgrade;

http://ca-rogers-yahoo.jimdo.com/

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While they do have some blockout stuff, etc.. for when someone malicious, out of the normal locations, etc can happen.

But yeah.. that is a BAD LINK.. do not go there.