rogers awful ping

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

rogers awful ping

Why is rogers so bad? I am currently visiting my wife's family in Brazil and started using the net to check on a few things. The net was dragging but when I checked the ping, it was showing 1ms on speedtest.net. The upload download was 1Mb/ 1Mb! The question that  I have is, why does this net have such a good ping on such a low speed and rogers- on their highest package the hybrid fiber 250, which I have- gives me a terrible ping? 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: rogers awful ping

Personal opinion, I wouldn’t spend any money just yet, unless you had to buy new Cat 5e / 6 cables. The 835 should allow you to do the troubleshooting necessary to sort out the download / upload speed issues. That is unless you experiment with it and find that it only has a 100 Mb/s WAN Port. In that case all is not lost as you should still be able to use the 835 as an access point only by connecting the CGN3 LAN port to one of the 835 LAN ports. So, the first thing I would do is connect the 835 WAN port to one of the CGN3 LAN ports, power up the 835 and watch for the port light at the back of the CGN3 to go amber. If so, the interconnect rate is running at 1 Gb/s which will support your 250 Mb/s download rate and beyond. At that point you should disconnect the 835 from the CGN3, log into the 835 and turn off the 2.4 and 5 Ghz wireless and firewall and DHCP, essentially turning it into a gigabit switch. Save the settings, reboot and connect it to the CGN3 again. This time when it boots up, you should be able to connect a gigabit capable pc or laptop via ethernet to the 835 and, running a speedtest, you should see a maximum download rate of approx. 300 Mb/s through the 835. If you see that you now have the option of reconfiguring the CGN3 (Bridge Mode) and 835 to run both wired and wireless devices through the 835. And you have the option of going to another wireless router if you wish. If you don’t see that rate, more troubleshooting is in order, and, there is no point changing routers until the issues are sorted out.

The VPN is a good question. I think the only way to determine if there are any issues is to experiment with it and keep in mind that much of the functionality of a normal router is simply not available with the CGN3. If you run into a roadblock running a VPN through the CGN3, chalk it up to implementation issues within the CGN3 and don’t spend a huge amount of time fighting with it. Bridge the CGN3 and use your own router to accomplish what you need.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

brazil 

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3835399823

whitby on

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3773283284

also, i am not getting the full speed on my 250mb download as you can see with the hybrid 250 package

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Latency and ping times across the web from here, ie, Ontario are an ongoing issue.  Can't help there unfortunately.  But, I can help with the download rates.  Have a read through a summary regarding the CGN3 that I put together not too long ago.  Hopefully that will clear things up:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/190...

If you ping the CGN3 you will see a range of ping times, ranging from 1 ms up to 10 ms, with an average of 4 to 5 ms.  That doesn't help of course when you ping an external address on the net.  It would be nice to see that come down to 1 ms or less with the next iteration of firmware.  However, we won't know if the internal ping times and latency with the CGN3 will be resolved until the firmware is released, hopefully before the new year.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The gamer part is why I noticed. It seems pointless playing video games while being a rogers customer. There is so much latency. Toyed with the modem and noticed thereis less latecy while the modem's wireless isset to N for 2.4G GHz and A- 5Ghz. Funny thing is, I play the game wired. It is really silly but with that change and rebooting the modem daily seems to alleviate some of the lag. Wish rogers would provide better service.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You could also try runnng the CGN3 in bridge mode and use a third party router that has better performance specs.  The one test that no one has done is to ping the CGN3 while its in bridge mode, just to see if that configuration actually reduces ping times and latency to the CGN3.

What version firmware are you on?  The latest version is 4.2.4.3  If you just picked up the CGN3, it will take 4 to 5 days to see the latest firmware pushed to the modem.

There are a couple of issues regarding the download rates, one is the 10/100 Mb/s connection issue, and the other is the state of your cable feed and whether or not there are any problems with signal power and signal to noise ratios.  Here's an example from my CGN3 DOCSIS WAN data;

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

If you log into your CGN3 and copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread I can have a quick look to see if there are any issues with them.  Copy the tables only and leave out the info that resides above the downstream data which includes your IP address and others.

Fwiw, I run a CGN3 on the 250 Mb/s plan and see a max of 328 Mb/s down and 21 Mb/s up on a speedtest from either speedtest.net or the Rogers speedtest.  So, it can be done.  Just have to chase down any problems that might exist.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

this issue has been going on for a while. I have had the cgn3 for more than 7 months, so the update should be more than cleared. I also went the route of using the modem in bridge mode; that only made matters worse. The extra separation only seem to create more latency.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, have a look at my additional comments above and then have a look at the summary and the back of your CGN3 to determine  what your interconnect data rates might be.  Once you determine that and post your DOCSIS WAN data we can start to sort through the issues.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah. may be a while before I can post them but I do remember the have the data somewhere. The interesting thing is that a rogers employee told me just a week ago that everything is up to spec. what should I be looking for once I have it?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Downstream Signal Power at 0 dBmV, Signal to Noise around 40 dB, and Upstream Signal Power at 37 to 40 dBmV.  Those Signal Power values are what you should see as normal values.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

looking at a photo of info that i saved. signal power unsure. however, signal strength varies between -2 to -3.6 dBmV.signal to noise 36-38 dB