recording tv shows

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

recording tv shows

can someone tell me how to hook up my vcr to the digital box, in order to record a tv show?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: recording tv shows

Well there are 3 ways. Easiest way is to get a cable splitter and have one cable wire going to the vcr and the other to the digital box. Then you can watch on one and record on the other.. The only problem is only analog channels are available and will not be available after the analog shutoff.

2nd way is to have cable wire into the digital box and cable wire out of the digital box into the vcr. Set your vcr on channel 3 and the digital box to whatever you want to record.

3rd cable wire into the digital box. red white yellow cable out of the digital box into the vcr. Set the vcr to input1 or 2 and set the channel you want to record on the digital box.

Or you could just save yourself all the hassle and get a PVR. It's changed the way I watch TV and I never watch commercials anymore...

***Update***

Hello thurber17,

For more information on cable hook-ups please click here.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Well there are 3 ways. Easiest way is to get a cable splitter and have one cable wire going to the vcr and the other to the digital box. Then you can watch on one and record on the other.. The only problem is only analog channels are available and will not be available after the analog shutoff.

2nd way is to have cable wire into the digital box and cable wire out of the digital box into the vcr. Set your vcr on channel 3 and the digital box to whatever you want to record.

3rd cable wire into the digital box. red white yellow cable out of the digital box into the vcr. Set the vcr to input1 or 2 and set the channel you want to record on the digital box.

Or you could just save yourself all the hassle and get a PVR. It's changed the way I watch TV and I never watch commercials anymore...

***Update***

Hello thurber17,

For more information on cable hook-ups please click here.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hey CHris, will connecting a vcr interfere with any other outputs? For example, the old setops would only allow one output and the other would mysteriously be disabled. You suggest 3 ways. As of now I'm using an HDMI from 4642 to my Plasma and cable wire to vcr from 4642 and 3 wire back to Plasma. Hope it works but for auro recording on VCR I suppose I will have to set the channel on the 4642 and leave it on so when the vcr kicks in on the timer it should record whatever is on that channel. Hope it works! Jim

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi Northwest,

you MIGHT run into a problem, with that setup.  At least from my experiences. (and i know at least one other user on here who was tring to do the same)

WHY it is this way? I have no idea..

My setup in the basement.. i NORMALY go through the 4642.. HDMI out, to a projector.  The audio is the stereo L/R out to a cheap surround sound.  But ocassionaly i want to output it to just a CRT tv i have there.. so i have it connected via the coax cable wire into the TV. 

One issue.... NO SOUND.  For some reason, when the HDMI or component is pluged in, it seems like the coax AUDIO is disabled 😞

Now, i dont beleive the other outputs are disabled, when hdmi is in, etc..  i had both component and HDMI working on one of these boxes in the past (though not recently).
Overall, i would sugest, instead of cable wire from the 4642 to the VCR.. do it via composite 3 wire from there to the VCR, then the same out of the VCR to the TV.  Only thing with this would be, is to make sure, that your VCR can record on a timer, on an INPUT (and not just channels... this allso assumes that your VCR has a video input as well)

His old 3way sugestion (post was from 2010), would have worked back then.  Pretty much sepparates the signal BEFORE the rogers box.. and lets the VCR record right from the analog cable line.   Which still technicaly can be done... BUT.. the rate analog is droping the channels, there will be next to none left by the end of the year.. so that method really isnt very viable anymore 😞