"New" tag for shows

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

"New" tag for shows

Why does the guide not say that Dexter and Ray Donovan are "new" episodes? It would be a lot better to set up the PVR that way, rather than to hope that the programs are always on the same day/time.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: "New" tag for shows

A bunch of us have been finding that for a while, the new tags, are not always reliable Smiley Sad

Have the pvr set for this show, this channel, new only, and it misses some, gets others.

For now we just say record all this day, this channel this time slot, and just delete if its a duplicate.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I didn't know you could record only shows that are "New" and ignore repeats. I presume that's a feature available on newer PVRs with the new version IPG. I have a SA8300 using the original IPG.

However, I would not rely on what the guide says is "new". I watch a couple of British series on TVO, Heartbeat and Foyle's War. Neither of them are shown as "new", either because they appeared ob British TV years ago or on TVO in previous years. Also, there are series episodes that are listed as "new" when they first appear a major network like Global, CTV or CityTV, but are not listed as "new" when they later appear on Showcase, even though they haven't been on Showcase before. As GDkitty said, I record all shows in their time slot and delete any repeats late. When the season is ove and they're all repeats, I edit out the recording.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Good to know that the "New" designation is sometimes missing. That explains why I seem to have missed some shows.

I guess I will have to start reading the show description for series I watch but don't record.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I didn't know you could record only shows that are "New" and ignore repeats. I presume that's a feature available on newer PVRs with the new version IPG. I have a SA8300 using the original IPG.

The 8300 has this feature.  When recording a series, the option is called 'First Run only on This Channel'

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Lurker wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

The 8300 has this feature.  When recording a series, the option is called 'First Run only on This Channel'

Aha! So that's what that means. I thought it had something to do with the episode being the pilot, perhaps being shown at a different time than the rest of the episodes, so I never chose that option. It's just as well, because I might have missed an episode.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm finding this irritating as well.  Sometimes miss a show because the tag is missing.  You'd think with the technology that is available, they could do better.

I'm an Advisor

I also noticed that "new" episodes recently became unreliable. I've never actually used it and always do what GDKitty suggested, which works fine for me on my 8300HD PVR.