"Enable 3G" missing from iPhone 4S, Rogers's doing?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

"Enable 3G" missing from iPhone 4S, Rogers's doing?

So what is this? People can't force EDGE on the iPhone 4S the setting for "Enable 3G" is simply vanished, its there on the 3GS and 4 with iOS 5 but not the 4S. On my 4 the carrier version was Rogers 11.0, same on the 4S so thats not it.. checked Apple's specs for the 5th time it does support EDGE so whos limiting us for an unknown reason.. Rogers or Apple (or its simply a bug affecting 4S only)?

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: "Enable 3G" missing from iPhone 4S, Rogers's doing?

Apple has confirmed that the ability to manually disable 3G is not available on the iPhone 4S model .

this was done by design.  The device supposed to automatically switch to 2G when needed.

View solution in original post

All Replies
I Plan to Stick Around

Did you restore from backup ? Try reseting your network settings
Highlighted

Yes, already tried resetting network settings and setting up as new iPhone enable 3G is still missing.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > NETWORK > and turn on CELLULAR DATA.

Isn't that what you're trying to do?

I don't know what you mean by EDGE.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

EDGE is 2G.

His phone instead of saying 3G it's saying EDGE in which gives you lower data speeds & its 2G..
Highlighted

Yes and it helps when Rogers's 3G is having problems, to just force to EDGE, it also saves battery when away from a charging source for extended periods.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

actually its the other way around, his phone says 3G but he WANTS to turn off 3G and use 2G which is gsm for voice, and gprs/edge for data.   Not sure, this phone is soo new maybe people have not posted how? i mean come on, it only came out yesterday

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Apple has confirmed that the ability to manually disable 3G is not available on the iPhone 4S model .

this was done by design.  The device supposed to automatically switch to 2G when needed.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Wow.. thats dumb, I hope they increased the sensitivity so when 3G goes down it will instantly start looking for EDGE or GPRS.. cause almost everytime when Rogers's 3G was having problems on my iPhone 4 I just kept loosing signal bars/no service and had to manually switch to EDGE to get stable signal, it would rarely switch itself and hold it.

Well when the jailbreak is released that "limitation" will be fixed anyway, and jailbreaking is legal so no one jump on me for mentioning that word here.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

lots of other 3G devices work the same way, switch to 2G automatically when needed.   Even the ones that do have a selection sw itch, most people ive talked to don't know about switching, or dont know why they should have to or when. They said to me shouldnt the phone do it itself?  so i kinda chuckled and said yes it already does