purplish screen

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: purplish screen

Its not the phone the problem. The phone is FINE!

For the LTE - Rogers needs to tweak their system settings for your account. They did so for me and I can tether with LTE, 3G (4G), and E with no issues....

For the purple screen - once again NOT the phone. Its a software issue related to the auto-dimming feature once it is at a certain brightness level. Nokia told me its aware of the issue. No ETA for a fix.
I Plan to Stick Around

@Spock_Lebanon wrote:

For the LTE - Rogers needs to tweak their system settings for your account. They did so for me and I can tether with LTE, 3G (4G), and E with no issues....

For the purple screen - once again NOT the phone. Its a software issue related to the auto-dimming feature once it is at a certain brightness level. Nokia told me its aware of the issue. No ETA for a fix.

Can I ask a favour and have you share the case number? While you found someone at Rogers who knows how to tweak the settings, no one else there seems to.

Here is a quick video of the problem that puts a Samsung Focus beside the Lumia 900: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4IfVdyuKq0&feature=colike

I Plan to Stick Around

@niteskye wrote:

@Spock_Lebanon wrote:

Can I ask a favour and have you share the case number? While you found someone at Rogers who knows how to tweak the settings, no one else there seems to.

Here is a quick video of the problem that puts a Samsung Focus beside the Lumia 900: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4IfVdyuKq0&feature=colike

that video confirms its a software issue .. fix should be on the auto dimming feature .. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Purple screen is a hardware issue. The video you're showing looks like Auto is set on for Brightness, it's purple when the phone is on Low Brightness and fixes itself when it goes to medium.

If you google Nokia Purple you'll see other Nokia phones N9 for example exhibit the same problem. The problem seems to be related to Nokia's amoled technology. Some people have said that they don't experience the problem but they don't mention if they are running a black background as the problem only occurs with a black background and brightness set to manual/low. So returning your phone isn't going to help because this may be an issue with all phones at the moment. May be that only reason people are saying they don't experience the problem is because they have their phones set to a white background.

If Nokia fixes this through software, I'm going to guess they are going to just up the value on the LOW setting to a threshold where the issue doesn't occur.

I Plan to Stick Around

I Plan to Stick Around

So after my Rogers store finally got these back in stock I merily hoped into the store and had my hand at 7..count em 7..brand new shiny phones fully installed with the new firmware out of the box.

What did I find on every single one? By turning off auto and setting the phone to "low" brightness manually, every single phone had the purple issue. 

Now, a couple things come to mind. Firstly, this is obviously intentional from Nokia, i cant imagine how this would get missed on a simply quality inspection of the phone. Its clearly a different hue, and its not an advanced test by any means.

Secondly, on those who are reporting that they don't have the problem is that they simply dont know how to actually test for the problem in the first place. I've read posts that state that "turning on low/auto mode does not replicate the problem"..i dont think they realize that the low/medium/high settings are for manual only and do jack squat if you have auto turned on. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@mii wrote:

Secondly, on those who are reporting that they don't have the problem is that they simply dont know how to actually test for the problem in the first place. I've read posts that state that "turning on low/auto mode does not replicate the problem"..i dont think they realize that the low/medium/high settings are for manual only and do jack squat if you have auto turned on. 

Not to mention that the problem only seems to occur if you have a dark background. Anyone who sets brightness to Manual/Low on a white background isn't going to see the problem.

I'm still going to guess that they are going to fix it by increasing the threshold for low brightness in a firmware. ie. if low = 25% and the problem doesn't occur at say 30% they will change low to 30% in the next update.

I Plan to Stick Around

From Nokia

"This is under investigation. Please go to http://bit.ly/InBAL0 where we will post any information when available. ^PH"

The thread for the above link contains the following.....Make sure you PM the Nokia rep, don't post your IMEI number in the forum.

Re: Purplish tint on greys when low brightness is active

Hi all,

In order to be able to aid the investigation into this behaviour I would appreciate if you could provide me with the following information in a PM;

ref; Purple_tint

Device model:

Device IMEI number:

OS version:

firmware revision :

Hardware revision :

a short but detailed desctiption of your experience with this

You will find this information in Settings > About > more information

Again, send the information IN A PERSONAL MAIL and NOT in a reply to this post as this is personal information we do not want you to post in public.

Thanks for your co-operation and patience!

Kosh

I've Been Here Awhile

This does NOT affect all 900's!  I happen to have two in front of me - my first one stopped being able to make calls (no call audio) and lost cell data after the firmware update (I know, weird...)

So I received my replacement yesterday - I can now make calls which is nice, but it has the purplish screen, and the vibrate rattle issue (my first phone had neither).

Not sure if I'm doing this right, but here's a photo proof - both set to low brightness, dark background, auto off:

Puprle Lumia screen

Lumia #3 on the way...

I Plan to Stick Around

so there is hope! lol

Lets face it though; if this isn't software fixable then that means mass recall.